00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need help

1,155 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I need help 2016-08-14 16:03:37

I made this track today. Why doesnt it sound good? Im trying to make a house/edm something track... why does it sound so naked and barren? will take CnC. http://vocaroo.com/i/s065N53MHqrj

Response to I need help 2016-08-14 17:33:18

The answer to your question boils down to one thing, essentially -- frequencies. That's not the sole reason for why the track doesn't sound "good" (you also have to account for general mixing and compression, and it sounds to me like this was kind of just slammed through a limiter or maximizer), but it's certainly the first thing I noticed. There's also what sounds like some potential phase issues in the track.

If you haven't spent much time familiarizing yourself with the concept of EQ, then there's not really any particularly easy way to simplify what's going on beyond that broad oversimplification. If you do have a bit of a grasp on EQ, however -- and keep in mind that these aren't definitive, but rather, my own estimations based on playing the example back once -- then here are the areas of the frequency spectrum I'd recommend looking at with this track.

Also, this EQ chart is invaluable.

Without covering the entire frequency range, I'm guessing that if you ran this track through a spectrum analysis plugin you'd have a lot of frequency content/overlap in the region of roughly 200-500Hz, give or take. Too much content in this region can make drums sound overly "boxy" and pads a little too "spacey" (I'm sure there's a better description for that but that's just the first thing that came to mind).

Hope that helped!

Response to I need help 2016-08-14 19:00:40

Holy cow! That helped alot! Thankyou so much. I will post progress