00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Google kills Flash

543 Views | 15 Replies

Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 05:34:37

Fuck.

Today, more than 90% of Flash on the web loads behind the scenes to support things like page analytics.
This kind of Flash slows you down, and starting this September, Chrome 53 will begin to block it.
HTML5 is much lighter and faster, and publishers are switching over to speed up page loading and save you more battery life.
You’ll see an improvement in responsiveness and efficiency for many sites.

Soooo... is it possible or easy to create content like say AS2 or AS3 with HTML5?

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 05:40:24

Firefox ftw, I told those Chrome fags that it's the best browser.

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 07:20:36

Actionscript is a bastardized version of javascript. There is other software for animation, and there are great game engines that can export to browser now.

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 07:33:26

At 8/11/16 07:11 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: Too bad flash already died as a development platform.
I'm not trying to sound like a douche, seriously, Flash is like one of the best platforms i've ever come across, Vector graphic that never go blurry or anything like that, extensible programming (Flixel), allows animation and a lot more.
RIP flash... RIP.

Isn't it only Flash Player that's dead? I mean Animate CC can output in HTML5.

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 08:32:14

Anyone on Newgrounds who still uses Flash really needs to take the switch to Adobe Animate. It's more versatile than Adobe Flash ever was.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 08:44:26

At 8/11/16 05:34 AM, Pkmn2 wrote: Fuck.

Chrome will still run Flash when Flash is the only option for content, so expect the Flash content on NG to keep working for a while, I would hope at least a year or maybe more.

You can still animate in any version of Flash, that's why we made Swivel. Just about any SWF animation can become an MP4. When you view animation on NG, most of it is now MP4 in an HTML5 player.

Our Flash audio player is getting replaced with an HTML5 audio player in the next update.

The big unknown is games. We believe it is possible to create a javascript system that can run at least all of the AS2 games (project Shumway was working on that but has stalled out). We need more resources to be able to head up a project like that. No promises there but I know if we had a much bigger budget we could make it a priority.

https://www.newgrounds.com/supporter

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 08:53:44

Flash sucks and HTML5 is better in all aspects.

Whatever.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 09:43:59 (edited 2016-08-11 09:44:19)

Flash is still being used to make animated television series, so until then, flash isn't dead

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 10:00:50

Well, better start working on that HTML5 api then. Oh, and perhaps find a way to indeed convert the existing flash titles with HTML5 ones.

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 15:38:02

HTML5 is much lighter and faster

html5 games are massive, bloated things, even the simple ones.
What is life.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 15:57:14

i watch videos on youtube and play games on steam

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 18:40:19

At 8/11/16 05:34 AM, Pkmn2 wrote: Soooo... is it possible or easy to create content like say AS2 or AS3 with HTML5?

Welcome to Construct 2

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 18:58:18

At 8/11/16 08:32 AM, Chdonga wrote: Anyone on Newgrounds who still uses Flash really needs to take the switch to Adobe Animate. It's more versatile than Adobe Flash ever was.

How much different is it from CC?

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 19:01:59

Didn't Apple already try killing it just a few years ago?

Back then Flash had 90% adoption.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 19:15:45

Lotta mixed opinions on here, emotions seem to be running high. Will tensions erupt into violent clashes? Stay tuned and find out!

Response to Google kills Flash 2016-08-11 20:21:18

At 8/11/16 06:58 PM, Pkmn2 wrote:
At 8/11/16 08:32 AM, Chdonga wrote: Anyone on Newgrounds who still uses Flash really needs to take the switch to Adobe Animate. It's more versatile than Adobe Flash ever was.
How much different is it from CC?

You mean CS6? Flash got discontinued and was re-branded as Animate CC. The UI is completely identical to Flash but it has HTML5 support. You can convert AS3 projects to HTML5 but I don't know if the Actionscript will still function or not.

It also feels more stable. Flash crashed all the time on my laptop but my tablet has lower-end hardware and Animate hasn't crashed once.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature