00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4ng3lzh4untm3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Has Africa invented anything?

2,413 Views | 26 Replies

Europe had intellectuals, some early medieval arabs had intellectuals, indians had intellectuals, Chinese had intellectuals.

Why in the world hasnt Africa contributed to anything?
Egypt was more a unique mixture of racial civilization so i dont really count that in

I read a comment that they live in houses and huts just like back then and nothing has changed and its just tribal warfare. Just curious to your views

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:04:39

war

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:06:15

AIDS.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:34:04

Humans.

Think about it, if it weren't for Africa we wouldn't be having this debate ;)

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:41:33

At 8/1/16 05:02 PM, Doge2 wrote: some early medieval arabs had intellectuals

And where do you think the Middle East is located?

That's right. Africa!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:42:41

At 8/1/16 05:34 PM, ChazDude wrote: Humans.

Think about it, if it weren't for Africa we wouldn't be having this debate ;)

Well i guess. But the big flaw was that they developed different undeveloped warlord tribes. "Shaka" was cool i guess but still warrior tribes. Like even with diverse natures of pagans they still developed stuff, even if they did war with each other

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 17:57:54

At 8/1/16 05:46 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: It's actually part of Eurasia.

Not Egypt.

They are 100% inside Africa and have given us the pyramids, as well as hunting dogs.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 18:11:51

What is good music and civilization? I'll take "Shit Social Darwinists Say" for $400, Alex.

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 19:24:26

At 8/1/16 05:57 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 8/1/16 05:46 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: It's actually part of Eurasia.
Not Egypt.

They are 100% inside Africa and have given us the pyramids, as well as hunting dogs.

But Egypt isn't a part of the Middle East....
It's a part of North Africa.
Read a fucking atlas your troglodyte.

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 20:16:07

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 20:53:50

cotton plants

I used to be Xyphon202. Name change, what's up?

I'm everybody's favourite!

The Xyphon202 appreciation thread(before my name change)

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-01 22:32:54

i find this thread highly ironic.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 00:33:33

South African shotgun. Learned about if from playing Battlefield

Has Africa invented anything?

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 01:01:19

The Illuminati and reptilians.

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 01:50:40

Drum circles??

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 02:18:24

I read somewhere they're making great strides in third world technology.

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 02:28:47

Fire, most likely.

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 10:58:54

africa had intellectuals until the white man colonized and raped the land, leaving nothing behind but a battered society

what has africa invented? it invented the starting point where all of humanity sprung up and flourished

you're welcome

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 11:18:17

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-02 12:33:02

Various languages, cultures and none of them good.

At 8/1/16 05:02 PM, Doge2 wrote: Egypt was more a unique mixture of racial civilization so i dont really count that in

And they're not black... They basically looked like Ancient Greeks with really strong tans.
Which only makes it funnier when some people try and claim to have Pharaoh blood just because they be black.

At 8/1/16 05:41 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 8/1/16 05:02 PM, Doge2 wrote: some early medieval arabs had intellectuals
And where do you think the Middle East is located?

That's right. Africa!

...The Middle East is located on the East of Europe, Africa is South of Europe.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

At 8/1/16 08:16 PM, Ghoti wrote: Mobile banking:
https://www.ted.com/talks/toby_shapshak_you_don_t_need_an_app_for_that?language=en

Mansa Musa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnU0v6hcUo

Knowledge is power. Arm yourself.

First of all Mobile banking is used to tap from foreign phone call tapping your money from your credit. Its actually the worst invention in my opinion. Call me a conservative but i hate it.

Also Mansa Musa was a muslim from what i know. So its just what other muslims did. I am more aiming in terms of scientific advances in general, not just helping people which was not uncommon back then

Edit: Also John Green is sorta known for being a cuck i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2HvflxKLoo

At 8/1/16 10:29 PM, SirWaffleThe3rd wrote: African Creations and Advancements
Mathematics

I'll ignore 20000 BC attempt of Math i read on wiki.

Tell me. What african nation made contribution to math in terms of later than 10000 BC

don't even bother with these shitty, racist trolls who probably flunked out of a free, public education
quite literally everything important came out of egypt (and no, it wasn't a "unique" racial mixture until nearly the ptolemaic period - aka the very tail end of significant egyptian history - CURIOUS that egypt suddenly stopped innovating once whites stepped foot inside the country)

I am really only interested in facts, i dont give a crap about race supremacy.
But it is true. Search on wikipedia, Egypt was a racial mixture of different people contributing to making it a great civilization. If its not true then convince me wrong then?. I would honestly be surprised if it wasnt

At 8/3/16 04:18 AM, lapis wrote: For what's it's worth, Ibn Khaldun (born in Tunis) was arguably the world's first 'scientific' historian (historiographer) and social scientist, and Hero of Alexandria (Egypt) was an engineer who invented a steam-powered device among other things. They were ethnically Muslim and Greek though. The list of things invented by sub-Saharan Africans isn't very long.

Hmm... interesting

Btw i searched up race etnicity of ancient egypt because it got me curious. And well some would argue they are neither white or black (atleast not the black as in african american in USA "Negro race which is southern, central and south western africa) but more hamites it seems. Which is in nothern and southern sahara i think

Atleast this video had me convinced on some arguments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1Ha_UJRgk

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-03 05:17:27

Actually this answers all the questions on egypt. Its afrocentrists who are sorta making a big deal out of it. Most non bias stuff i found online more or less.
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-claim-that-the-ancient-Egyptians-were-black-had-dark-skin-supported-by-history-If-not-what-race-were-they-and-how-do-we-know

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-03 05:35:55

At 8/1/16 05:02 PM, Doge2 wrote: Europe had intellectuals, some early medieval arabs had intellectuals, indians had intellectuals, Chinese had intellectuals.

Africa has/had plenty of intellectuals, albeit quite possibly in lower ratios than other countries. There's plenty of intellectuals on this website too, but I'm sure the vast majority of them haven't invented anything outside of music/artistic creations, though. I don't think an invention is a fair way to gauge intelligence.

Why in the world hasnt Africa contributed to anything?

that's a broad question (and a blatantly wrong assessment), which comes off as "why isn't Africa Europe" and I assume this is directed at Africa over the past 700 years. I can give you a general response- as there are several African engineers and doctors that contribute to society.

1. An invention only happens once. Obviously Africa is lagging behind other cultures, so they are less likely to think of something first, and when they do, they may tend to be unusual or less sophisticated, or just not quite relevant in Western societies. And it may be several centuries before that changes.

2. You may equate "contribution" with "technological innovation", as your topic title suggests. Progression is a Western value. It's what colonial Europeans, and even to a certain degree today- the collective West uses to justify imperialism. Sub-Sahara Africa, may have a reached an equilibrium with their environment and nature. They don't need large corporations, jets, portable media players, shopping malls, twitter, or video games. Agricultural, rain harvesting, and hunting tools are more important.

3. The European colonization broke down their way of life. The resources of Africa were exploited, people divided, and the continent was in general left a mess once decolonized. This of course is a contributing factor to the state of the country today. Including the political corruption and poor education. Poor education and large populations correlates with higher rates of disease. When AIDS, malnutrition/hunger, and war is commonplace in your country, civilization is not going to develop as fast. Fix the problems in your own backyard before exploring space.

4. Geography. Dubious, but it can be argued that Africa is less ecologically sustainable than it's Northern counterparts.

Egypt was more a unique mixture of racial civilization so i dont really count that in

then what you mean to say is "has Sub-Sahara Africa invented anything"

I read a comment that they live in houses and huts just like back then and nothing has changed and its just tribal warfare. Just curious to your views

I live in a house, how about you?
Obviously the huts, spear chucking, and Tarzans are rash generalizations that I presume you bought because you're a meme loving f*ck. Just like the U.S., there are parts of Africa that are fine, "modern", and there are parts that are completely stricken with poverty.

If you're genuinely interested in this topic, and not making a veiled attempt at claiming some type of cultural/racial higher ground I suggest you check out the book "The Lost Sciences of Africa"

BBS Signature

Response to Has Africa invented anything? 2016-08-03 06:35:12

At 8/3/16 05:35 AM, S3C wrote: 2. You may equate "contribution" with "technological innovation", as your topic title suggests. Progression is a Western value. It's what colonial Europeans, and even to a certain degree today- the collective West uses to justify imperialism. Sub-Sahara Africa, may have a reached an equilibrium with their environment and nature. They don't need large corporations, jets, portable media players, shopping malls, twitter, or video games. Agricultural, rain harvesting, and hunting tools are more important.

This. "Has Africa invented anything"? Uh yes, they invented quite a lot, hence why they managed to survive for so long, right? Hunting tools, hunting tactics, building huts out of clay, etc. pp.
Yes, building huts out of clay and dry grass isn't exactly "rocket science", but it's what fits their needs.

Claiming "they haven't invented anything and we are so much more civilized" is a very western-centric world view. How "civilized" are we? Killing each other over some stupid bullshit like "money" or "religion". Yeah, very civilized. Destroying the planet we live on isn't what I would call "civilized" either.
Going to other continents and killing or enslaving the people there, because "they look different and run around naked" isn't "civilized" as well. It's bullshit. Or wait. Maybe it is what "civilisation" means, but then "civilisation" would equal "stupidity".

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

I didnt say Africa is uninteresting. However it saddens me with terror groups and tribal wars in some cases and political unrest. Although they live with dangerous snakes so i am sorta glad to not live there. They are not cowards thats for sure.