00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonWolfNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Jello - My first game

1,531 Views | 29 Replies

Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:25:56

This is my first game.
Jello - Infinite runner - Arcade - Android.

The game was created with construct 2.

Game page on google play

The main objetive is to change the jelly's color according to the path. The score starts to acummulate during the time and the higher the score higher the speed. There is also a combo system which accumulates at each path taken with correct color.

Jello - My first game

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:42:06 (edited 2016-07-20 12:50:21)

At 7/20/16 12:28 PM, Calbop wrote: This may be more suitable in the videogames or game development section.

Thanks Bro.
I really had doubts regarding this. :D

I can not delete or edit this post :/

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:48:17

I was gonna try it but I'm getting an "Error 419" while trying to download

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:49:23

At 7/20/16 12:46 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Looks kinda gay...

ahahahahahahahahah

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:51:43

Gotta love the jackasses saying this is shit but they can't make a game themselves.....haha.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:53:47

At 7/20/16 12:48 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: I was gonna try it but I'm getting an "Error 419" while trying to download

Curious. Try searching Jello in google play

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:57:43

At 7/20/16 12:51 PM, Drainerr wrote: Gotta love the jackasses saying this is shit but they can't make a game themselves.....haha.

Amen.

BBS Signature

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 12:57:51

At 7/20/16 12:51 PM, Drainerr wrote: Gotta love the jackasses saying this is shit but they can't make a game themselves.....haha.

little kids hahaaha

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 14:11:41 (edited 2016-07-20 14:12:12)

Ay man, at least you're getting your work out there. Can only go up from here as you continue to hone, practice, and improve your development skills. Good luck to you.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 14:41:43

At 7/20/16 02:11 PM, CiviLies wrote: Ay man, at least you're getting your work out there. Can only go up from here as you continue to hone, practice, and improve your development skills. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much :D

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 15:00:19

At 7/20/16 12:57 PM, MartDSam wrote:
little kids hahaaha

Just because they can't make a game (and let's be honest, you don't know whether they can or not) doesn't mean they don't know when a game is bad.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 15:06:10

At 7/20/16 03:00 PM, icecreammac wrote:
little kids hahaaha
Just because they can't make a game (and let's be honest, you don't know whether they can or not) doesn't mean they don't know when a game is bad.

At least they could have provided tips for the guy rather than "GAY GAY GAY SHIT".

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 15:49:16

At 7/20/16 03:06 PM, Drainerr wrote: At least they could have provided tips for the guy rather than "GAY GAY GAY SHIT".

Granted, you're right, that would've been really helpful. That doesn't mean we should assume he doesn't know if a game is bad or not, though.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 15:49:26

At 7/20/16 03:00 PM, icecreammac wrote:
little kids hahaaha

They spoke badly before playing. This is my FIRST GAME and I created in my free time. :D

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 15:57:15

At 7/20/16 03:49 PM, MartDSam wrote: They spoke badly before playing. This is my FIRST GAME and I created in my free time. :D

So? If they think a game looks terrible, then they think it looks terrible, and they're likely to say as much. Just because it's your first game doesn't make you immune to that kinda thing, harsh as it may be. Good for you, making it in your free time, and good for you, giving it for free, but that doesn't mean everyone's gonna be nice about the game.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:05:52

At 7/20/16 03:57 PM, icecreammac wrote:
At 7/20/16 03:49 PM, MartDSam wrote: They spoke badly before playing. This is my FIRST GAME and I created in my free time. :D
So? If they think a game looks terrible, then they think it looks terrible, and they're likely to say as much. Just because it's your first game doesn't make you immune to that kinda thing, harsh as it may be. Good for you, making it in your free time, and good for you, giving it for free, but that doesn't mean everyone's gonna be nice about the game.

But I did not care about the poor opinion of them. I care about opinions of value. I do not care if you spoke good or bad, provided it is something constructive.
I do not waste my time answering them. :D

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:13:28

At 7/20/16 04:05 PM, MartDSam wrote: But I did not care about the poor opinion of them. I care about opinions of value. I do not care if you spoke good or bad, provided it is something constructive.

And that's fine. But you and the other guy seemed to dismiss his criticism just because he didn't know how to make a game (which, again, we don't know for sure), which is the wrong way to go about things.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:18:05

At 7/20/16 04:13 PM, icecreammac wrote: And that's fine. But you and the other guy seemed to dismiss his criticism just because he didn't know how to make a game (which, again, we don't know for sure), which is the wrong way to go about things.

Judging a game by just a picture without even playing it is pretty dumb.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:18:30 (edited 2016-07-20 16:18:45)

At 7/20/16 04:13 PM, icecreammac wrote:
At 7/20/16 04:05 PM, MartDSam wrote: But I did not care about the poor opinion of them. I care about opinions of value. I do not care if you spoke good or bad, provided it is something constructive.
And that's fine. But you and the other guy seemed to dismiss his criticism just because he didn't know how to make a game (which, again, we don't know for sure), which is the wrong way to go about things.

I ignore him for not being something constructive. Certainly accept the opnion of all, I do not care if it's creator or player. :D
Sorry if I expressed myself wrong.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:24:57

At 7/20/16 04:18 PM, MartDSam wrote: I ignore him for not being something constructive. Certainly accept the opnion of all, I do not care if it's creator or player. :D
Sorry if I expressed myself wrong.

Best thing to do here is to ask why they think it looks bad. Maybe they'll give their reasons, maybe not. If not, there's nothing you can do but move on, maybe look at what you could do better, and look for other criticism.

At 7/20/16 04:18 PM, Drainerr wrote: Judging a game by just a picture without even playing it is pretty dumb.

I disagree. Screenshots and pictures are extremely important on judging whether a game is worth your time. That's why pretty much every game case puts screenshots on the back or on the web page: to show the potential player that the game is interesting and worth their time and/or money. If I think a game looks terrible or a mess, I'm not gonna waste my time playing it to find out if it's actually good.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:36:53

At 7/20/16 04:24 PM, icecreammac wrote: I disagree. Screenshots and pictures are extremely important on judging whether a game is worth your time. That's why pretty much every game case puts screenshots on the back or on the web page: to show the potential player that the game is interesting and worth their time and/or money. If I think a game looks terrible or a mess, I'm not gonna waste my time playing it to find out if it's actually good.

Visuals do NOTHING to illustrate the gameplay itself and thus the worth of a game.

Games are games precisely BECAUSE they have gameplay and when you judge a game based off its graphics, with a screenshot for example, you are not, in any way, judging the game itself no matter how you justify your illogical judgements and the faulty reasoning behind them.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:51:52 (edited 2016-07-20 16:53:02)

At 7/20/16 04:36 PM, Drainerr wrote: Visuals do NOTHING to illustrate the gameplay itself and thus the worth of a game.

Games are games precisely BECAUSE they have gameplay and when you judge a game based off its graphics, with a screenshot for example, you are not, in any way, judging the game itself no matter how you justify your illogical judgements and the faulty reasoning behind them.

I don't care how great a game actually plays. If it can't illustrate that it's an interesting game through its screenshots, I'm not gonna buy it or play it and risk wasting my time. The looks of the game is part of the worth, part of what you're paying for, whether with money or time. It isn't even the graphics of the game, either, as you seem to have confused my point for. Take Limbo, for instance. Limbo's graphics are simple, the color scheme consists of about two colors--gray and black--and the gameplay itself looks pretty simplistic (yes, you can tell that through the screenshots). Even so, they knew what kind of screenshots to show (basically the puzzle elements and dangers) to pique my interest in it, convincing me to give it a shot. If the screenshots were more plain (say, just having the kid stand there with nothing interesting in any shot), I'd be far less likely to try it.

Granted, game play is more important than visuals; I enjoyed Limbo more than Bioshock Infinite despite Bioshock's superior visuals. Judging the visuals is judging whether the game is worth my time. Ultimately, that's the important thing. First impressions matter. You want people to play your game, make it look good in the screenshots.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 16:59:11

At 7/20/16 04:51 PM, icecreammac wrote: stuff

Some screenshot comparisons can be downright stupid aswell, like RR6 vs RR7 in the early days. RR6 look alot more detailed on screenshot but since I got both games, I know that RR7 look better, it doesn't have that blocky look and got that smooth feeling to it, and on top of that, it's alot more pleasing to look at.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 17:09:39

At 7/20/16 04:59 PM, Drainerr wrote: Some screenshot comparisons can be downright stupid aswell, like RR6 vs RR7 in the early days. RR6 look alot more detailed on screenshot but since I got both games, I know that RR7 look better, it doesn't have that blocky look and got that smooth feeling to it, and on top of that, it's alot more pleasing to look at.

You're not wrong, I'll give you that. Sometimes, screenshots do a bad job showing how the game is. I'll admit, it's a gamble relying solely on screenshots. I do, despite what I've let on, check out reviews, demos, and such to determine whether a game is worth it. I don't solely rely on the shots because you're right; it isn't always a good gauge of how good a game is. I'm glad you got RR7 despite the fact that RR6 looked better on the screenshots, and I'm glad you overall enjoy RR7 more.

I guess the point I've been trying to make all this time is that while screenshots are not the most important thing to judge, they're often the first thing everyone sees, so it's important to make the screenshots look good. That said, if the game still sounds good, do some more investigation to see if the screenshots are simply doing a poor job of conveying how good the game actually is.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 17:19:36

At 7/20/16 05:09 PM, icecreammac wrote: I guess the point I've been trying to make all this time is that while screenshots are not the most important thing to judge, they're often the first thing everyone sees, so it's important to make the screenshots look good. That said, if the game still sounds good, do some more investigation to see if the screenshots are simply doing a poor job of conveying how good the game actually is.

yeah but that's kinda part of the problem, example, racing games. Where the pixelated stuff like grass or some ground textures doesn't matter because when you're playing it, you can't see it. But on a screenshot you maybe note some textures looking bad and all of a sudden the whole game look terrible. A great example is Motorstorm which is visually stunning to play, but some of the screenshots looks downright terrible. On the other hand you have FPS games, where standing still is actually a part of the gameplay, screenshots for these kind of games will always look better.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 17:26:19

At 7/20/16 05:19 PM, Drainerr wrote: yeah but that's kinda part of the problem, example, racing games. Where the pixelated stuff like grass or some ground textures doesn't matter because when you're playing it, you can't see it. But on a screenshot you maybe note some textures looking bad and all of a sudden the whole game look terrible. A great example is Motorstorm which is visually stunning to play, but some of the screenshots looks downright terrible. On the other hand you have FPS games, where standing still is actually a part of the gameplay, screenshots for these kind of games will always look better.

I guess it depends on the genre of game. For racing games, for example, you shouldn't look at shots of, say, the surroundings as much as you should look at shots of the cars, because that's what you're gonna focus on during the game. Yeah, Motor Storm does look better than the screenshots let on (didn't really like the game, but the visuals were pretty awesome). You'd focus on other things for other genres (background and foreground for platformers, for example, because let's face it, you're gonna be looking at that stuff a lot as you play the game).

This is far more nuanced than I first gave it credit for.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 17:43:46 (edited 2016-07-20 17:44:28)

At 7/20/16 05:26 PM, icecreammac wrote:
At 7/20/16 05:19 PM, Drainerr wrote: yeah but that's kinda part of the problem, example, racing games. Where the pixelated stuff like grass or some ground textures doesn't matter because when you're playing it, you can't see it. But on a screenshot you maybe note some textures looking bad and all of a sudden the whole game look terrible.
I guess it depends on the genre of game. For racing games, for example, you shouldn't look at shots of, say, the surroundings as much as you should look at shots of the cars, because that's what you're gonna focus on during the game.

My art could be better, but I never drew before.
My main job is programmer. Thank you for the views, it was certainly added something to my knowledge.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-20 18:51:46 (edited 2016-07-20 18:51:59)

At 7/20/16 05:43 PM, MartDSam wrote: My art could be better, but I never drew before.
My main job is programmer. Thank you for the views, it was certainly added something to my knowledge.

You're very welcome, my friend. I suggest showing images of the dynamics of the game. It's a runner game, so show the running, the obstacles, the running "track", etc.

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-30 20:15:38

Increased difficulty.
Achievements added.
New art.

Jello - My first game

Response to Jello - My first game 2016-07-30 23:31:18

At 7/30/16 08:21 PM, zyzy wrote: What are the copyright laws when it comes to character design?. The slug immediately reminded me of Futurama

I thought about doing something that can have various colors. A jelly fits very well in this case ahahahahah But I was not aware of this Futurama character. :D