00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

alexwood319 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help me out with this melody!

1,270 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 15:36:51

I'm working on a music commission and I've already got my first progression finished, but I need a little bit more help on the melody. I'm trying to find a new progression for the "verse" of the song but I just can't get it right.

Do you have any ideas on what progression I should do with?I'm using the D-major scale for the song.

https://clyp.it/lu0bz2mo?token=4b8be2d80be2da845d8fb999f2b6eafa

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 15:47:00

i dont hear a melody.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 15:49:50

At 7/18/16 03:47 PM, Rennh wrote: i dont hear a melody.

...?

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 16:08:47

so you're asking us to make you part of a song?
i mean it's not like you're asking us how to make a sound or some technical stuff
this is the artistic side, if you have to ask others.....

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 16:09:16

At 7/18/16 03:49 PM, Sylv3ster wrote:
...?

you asked for help with a melody

what melody?

in the actual post you asked for help with the chord progression.

So you need help with melody AND chord progression?

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 21:17:10

At 7/18/16 04:08 PM, UserSigon wrote: so you're asking us to make you part of a song?
i mean it's not like you're asking us how to make a sound or some technical stuff
this is the artistic side, if you have to ask others.....

Well, I'm going through this... "art block", so I can't really think of a good enough chord progression. I'm just asking people here for ideas...

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-18 21:19:14

At 7/18/16 04:09 PM, Rennh wrote:
At 7/18/16 03:49 PM, Sylv3ster wrote:
...?
you asked for help with a melody

what melody?

in the actual post you asked for help with the chord progression.

So you need help with melody AND chord progression?

I guess, I mean... the chorus' chord progression (which is also in the last 4 bars of the preview) goes like "G, A#, D, and C", but I can't think of a chord progression for the verse and pre-choruses, which is basically the problem I'm trying to solve.

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-19 09:34:13

At 7/18/16 03:36 PM, Sylv3ster wrote: I'm working on a music commission and I've already got my first progression finished, but I need a little bit more help on the melody. I'm trying to find a new progression for the "verse" of the song but I just can't get it right.

Do you have any ideas on what progression I should do with?I'm using the D-major scale for the song.

https://clyp.it/lu0bz2mo?token=4b8be2d80be2da845d8fb999f2b6eafa

So sounds like you have: G - - A Bb - - - D - - E C - - -

If you're looking for a section to answer this, you could consider something that 1) starts on a different chord and/or 2) moves at a different pace. For example: Eb - - - F - - - G - - - - - - -

Or: Eb - - - - - - - D - - - - - - -

Don't use my examples. Play around with 1) and 2). Think of them as general ideas for developing a form for your compositions. Good composers collect more and more of these kinds of ideas to help them compose better and faster.

Does this make sense? You'll also probably have to develop other aspects of the composition to keep it interesting. Like adding an instrument/texture, creating a variation on the drum groove etc.

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-21 16:25:43

Come on man if your getting paid for it you should be able to work it out yourself. Fair enough if you want feedback but I'm not going to write your melody's or chord progressions for you.

Response to Help me out with this melody! 2016-07-24 23:55:34

At 7/21/16 04:25 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Come on man if your getting paid for it you should be able to work it out yourself. Fair enough if you want feedback but I'm not going to write your melody's or chord progressions for you.

I wasn't asking anybody to write a melody for me; I'm not that much of a jerk. I'm asking if you had ideas, something far different than straight up asking somebody to write a song.