00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mochiifur just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A Question about Laptops/Software

467 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-04 07:05:37

I posted this yesterday in the Art Forum but got no responces so I'll try my luck here.

I am currently in looking for a new laptop. I'm thinking of getting some kind of Mac as I will be downloading some Adobe creative software (namely, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign & possibly After Effects or Animate, I'm not sure yet).

The point is I know very little about computers. I'm a software user strictly, I've no idea what to get. Could anybody make a suggestion or point me in the right direction?

Budget would be at most around £600 ($800).

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-04 21:19:42

At 7/4/16 07:05 AM, Decky wrote: I posted this yesterday in the Art Forum but got no responces so I'll try my luck here.

I am currently in looking for a new laptop. I'm thinking of getting some kind of Mac as I will be downloading some Adobe creative software (namely, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign & possibly After Effects or Animate, I'm not sure yet).

The point is I know very little about computers. I'm a software user strictly, I've no idea what to get. Could anybody make a suggestion or point me in the right direction?

Budget would be at most around £600 ($800).

If you are interested in getting a Mac, for $800 or less, you could consider getting a Mac mini, which starts out at around $499. You need to buy your own display, keyboard, and mouse to use with it though.

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-05 04:44:16

I'm pretty sure Adobe's creative suits work for PC as well? If you're on a budget, I'd opt for something that's not Mac. You'd get a lot more hardware for your £.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-05 06:52:03

At 7/4/16 09:19 PM, Matt9876 wrote: If you are interested in getting a Mac, for $800 or less, you could consider getting a Mac mini, which starts out at around $499. You need to buy your own display, keyboard, and mouse to use with it though.

Yeah, that's going to be a no haha. I heard of them of a friend I asked yesterday. I preferably don't want to be fussing around with that stuff. A complete laptop is desirable.

At 7/5/16 04:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I'm pretty sure Adobe's creative suits work for PC as well?

Not quickly when it comes to having a few installed from past experience.

If you're on a budget, I'd opt for something that's not Mac. You'd get a lot more hardware for your £.

As a graphic designer I feel a Mac is nessicarry for my means. Though if you say it again I'll bow to your expertise.

Would something like this be any good? I know it's a little over budget?

Thanks both of you for your help.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-05 07:06:27

At 7/5/16 06:52 AM, Decky wrote: Not quickly when it comes to having a few installed from past experience.

As a graphic designer I feel a Mac is nessicarry for my means. Though if you say it again I'll bow to your expertise.

I'm a graphic designer too you know. :) That said, I don't use the latest creative suite because they do tend to be a bit slow. If it's any different with Mac I wouldn't know. I assume it'd all boil down to having good enough hardware whichever computer you choose, and Apple is a trendy brand, thus: higher pricing for hardware of equal caliber. My means may differ though, and I have little experience with Mac past the OS7 era, so by all means choose the brand you are most comfortable with.

4GB RAM seems a bit low for heavier design work, but all else looks good. Powerful processor. Great battery time too.

BBS Signature

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-05 07:14:22

At 7/5/16 07:06 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 7/5/16 06:52 AM, Decky wrote: Not quickly when it comes to having a few installed from past experience.
I'm a graphic designer too you know.

Did not know that sorry haha.

Apple is a trendy brand, thus: higher pricing for hardware of equal caliber.

I understand and I'm aware that Apple take overpricing to new and extreme heights I just thought they were the ones to go for in the design world, me being (until now) the only designer I know on PC.

4GB RAM seems a bit low for heavier design work, but all else looks good. Powerful processor. Great battery time too.

What would be a good amount of RAM?

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

At 7/5/16 07:14 AM, Decky wrote: Did not know that sorry haha.

No worries. :)

I understand and I'm aware that Apple take overpricing to new and extreme heights I just thought they were the ones to go for in the design world, me being (until now) the only designer I know on PC.

I do wonder what the ratio is in the design world. Feels like Apple are doing pretty good promotion via schools, so people assume early on that it's Apple or nothing. You're not alone though, there are others! ;)

I'd go for at least 8GB, though the higher the better if price allows (you need a good processor to harness the RAM too, which this one did). Apparently some people consider 16GB a bare minimum for design though.

I'm actually using 4GB myself, but pondering an upgrade soon. It makes for a sometimes very single-tasking work process, where you have to shut down certain programs to open others while working with larger resolutions. It's alright for web-based design, but with print, or higher resolutions, I'd need something better. I'm currently working with CS5 btw. And usually Fireworks instead of Photoshop (which is much heavier on resources).

BBS Signature

At 7/5/16 07:46 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 7/5/16 07:14 AM, Decky wrote: I just thought they were the ones to go for in the design world, me being (until now) the only designer I know on PC.
I do wonder what the ratio is in the design world. Feels like Apple are doing pretty good promotion via schools, so people assume early on that it's Apple or nothing. You're not alone though, there are others! ;)

Well, that's good to know. Thanks for the advice Cyberdevil, I'll spend a couple of days looking around at what a PC can offer me for that price.

I'd go for at least 8GB, though the higher the better if price allows (you need a good processor to harness the RAM too, which this one did). Apparently some people consider 16GB a bare minimum for design though.

Another good bit of info there.

It's alright for web-based design, but with print, or higher resolutions, I'd need something better.

I'm mainly a print guy. As you might have been able to tell I hate all the technical stuff that surrounds computers, including codeing, any coding at all. Something I only do if I fear I'll lose the job otherwise haha

I'm currently working with CS5 btw. And usually Fireworks instead of Photoshop (which is much heavier on resources).

I'll be using whatever my IT friend can aquire (cough). Never used Fireworks, it's one of the Adobe softwares that passed me by.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

At 7/5/16 07:59 AM, Decky wrote: Well, that's good to know. Thanks for the advice Cyberdevil, I'll spend a couple of days looking around at what a PC can offer me for that price.

Another good bit of info there.

Happy to help. :) I do know computers, but I'm not that knowledgeable about specific brands and models, so can't really offer any advice there.

I'm mainly a print guy. As you might have been able to tell I hate all the technical stuff that surrounds computers, including codeing, any coding at all. Something I only do if I fear I'll lose the job otherwise haha

Good to know. :) Always nice seeing your design come to life in the 'real world'!

I'll be using whatever my IT friend can aquire (cough). Never used Fireworks, it's one of the Adobe softwares that passed me by.

Well since you're working with Print it might not be for you. For web-based interfaces Fireworks is amazing though. I've been using it since Macromedia introduced it. It's like a light-weight version of Photoshop, but it supports both raster and vector, does a decent job at photo manipulation, and has pretty much everything I need except the magnet lasso. Very easy to use. If you do settle for Mac btw, I hear Sketch is similarly simple/amazing.

BBS Signature

Response to A Question about Laptops/Software 2016-07-05 22:34:15

I would not consider a mac at your price point, Apple machines are just not for users operating on a budget, but if you need one I'd only consider a MacBook Pro (starting at $1500 - not only are apple expensive to begin, with but you need to sink a lot of money in before they even start being worthwhile), or an iMac if you'll consider a desktop, the rest just aren't at all cost effective and the other two laptop lines in particular are underpowered and not suitable for professional work. I'd also recommend purchasing direct from the apple website and not a reseller unless there's a significant price cut somewhere, as apple let you customize your hardware. The mac mini has been mentioned and is affordable, but also overpriced and underpowered. The mac mini line actually used to be fantastic but hasn't been updated since 2012, save for a slight processor upgrade in 2014.

Macs, other than just being aesthetically nice machines don't have any genuine advantage over Windows PCs for work though, fanboys on both sides drastically exaggerate the differences in each OS. I never owned a mac but I used a 27 inch iMac at college, using several adobe programs (photoshop, audition, premiere, illustrator), and the only differences in working there and working at home on my significantly lower-specced windows PC were purely peripheral. Yes, MacOS is very sleek and smooth and doesn't need anitivirus software, but that won't magically make your designs any better than using the same program on a machine encased in plastic rather than aluminium.

Unfortunately I don't know many laptop models off the top of my head, but as the users above me said, look for something with a minimum of 8 gig of ram and an i5 or i7. Microsoft, Lenovo, Asus and Dell are all very solid brands to look into. HP are known to be a bit shit in reliability and longevity, and in my experience (of fixing other people's computers) Acer aren't great either. The Dell Inspiron line has served me well in the past, and their XPS line looks really impressive if pricey,

If you want you could also look into "hackintosh". That is, a custom built or non-apple computer that's been forced to run an unofficial version of Mac OS. It actually works great, but Mac software is designed to run on a very narrow selection of hardware which will limit your options, and the vast majority of laptops won't be able to do this without modifying the machine to some degree. Here's a list of some almost-compatible laptops.

One last point: one advantage macs definitely have is in retaining their value for much longer than windows machines. It's a big initial investment, but when it comes time to upgrade you can get decent money back from selling the one you have. With windows PCs, even a high end computer diminishes in value quite rapidly in comparison. The reason being that anyone can afford a windows computer, but apple is always sought after and drives the aftermarket prices up.