00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JustSomeInternetdude just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Self awareness vs. Intelligence

377 Views | 18 Replies

Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 10:32:12

I'm on my phone so I don't really want to go too deep into the specifics of what I mean, but there's a lot of people out there who think they're geniuses. The problem is that those same people are often just book smart and don't really have much common sense, wisdom, social skills, or a solid grasp of how the world works, all of which I just classified as 'self awareness ' to save title space.
Anyways, I was arguing with a friend about it and he thinks book smarts/intelligence itself is better than my 'self awareness' according to him you don't need the other things as much as book smarts.
Just wanna hear how others think.

Also I'm not saying nobody is both, just debating which is more important.

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 10:39:26

intelegnece is very important in this wurld

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 10:50:11

Well your friend's a definite idiot for thinking they're not needed, so he's clearly not even intelligent, either. Damn, double whammy. Social skills are usually vital if you wanna get anywhere far in life. Which one is more important really just depends on a person's situation, I think, but I would say intelligence, book smarts, as well as all that you mentioned are all important assets, and if you're able to sharply hone all of them then you'd be in a great position.

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 10:58:31

There are three types of people in the world:
- Those who learn by reading
- Those who learn by doing
- Those who never learn aka "retarded people"

To me self awareness is more important because I cannot learn by reading for shit.

Listen to drumstep awesomeness xd: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/683617

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 12:35:29

At 6/26/16 10:58 AM, LaserVision wrote: There are three types of people in the world:
- Those who learn by reading
- Those who learn by doing
- Those who never learn aka "retarded people"

To me self awareness is more important because I cannot learn by reading for shit.

I think you should add 'Those who don't want to learn". A lot of people are perfectly capable but choose not to. Those are the real idiots.

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 12:58:23

At 6/26/16 12:35 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: I think you should add 'Those who don't want to learn". A lot of people are perfectly capable but choose not to. Those are the real idiots.

Oh youre right! I completely forgot that! Maybe thats a sign...

Listen to drumstep awesomeness xd: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/683617

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 13:45:28

Life is meaningless.

Who cares.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 17:13:48

At 6/26/16 01:45 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Life is meaningless.

Who cares.

hell ya dude nihilism is my shit \m/

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 17:30:49

At 6/26/16 05:13 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: hell ya dude nihilism is my shit \m/

I'm more of a solipist.

Life's bullshit is my own stupid fault

BBS Signature

As long as you don't have both you're set for a happy life

EDIT: Disregard this post

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 19:47:48

Intelligence is the ability to adapt. That means both retention and problem-solving. I kind of want to write a more meaty reply but your definition of self-awareness is a little ambiguous. To put it briefly, book smarts will turn your mind into a powerful tool, but cleverness and critical thinking are what will put you in control of that tool rather than someone else.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 20:32:39

At 6/26/16 05:30 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
I'm more of a solipist.

damn that's hardcore

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 21:48:11

At 6/26/16 08:32 PM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 6/26/16 05:30 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
I'm more of a solipist.

damn that's hardcore

Yep, like how my dog just pissed on my bed because I'm having a bad day.

Solipsism.

You're all embodiments of my mental illness.

Prove me wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 22:07:15

At 6/26/16 09:48 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Prove me wrong.

Nah. You are free to believe whatever you want.

BBS Signature

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-26 22:16:35

At 6/26/16 10:07 PM, Kayleeee wrote:

That's a good little illness spawn.

BBS Signature

At 6/26/16 10:16 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 6/26/16 10:07 PM, Kayleeee wrote:
That's a good little illness spawn.

Did you just refer to me as a spawn? Lmaooo.

BBS Signature

This thread is such cringe. Mostly because "self awareness" already has a definition and it's nothing at all to do with your incorrect definition in the OP.

As for actual self awareness (and not your redefined variety I'm not even going to touch because it's just flat-out wrong), it does require a certain bare minimum intelligence to be self-aware, so it is a measure (although a small one) of intelligence. People who are retarded enough (we're talking very extreme) lack self awareness, although most people have self awareness to an extent. You are aware you exist. That is literally what self awareness means. Awareness of self. Don't go redefining terms.

Also what you are terming "common sense" may or may not be sense at all. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is you consider common sense. The problem is nearly everyone considers themselves to have common sense but others to not, and it boils down to if people think the way they do or not. Well, some of those people are correct and others are incorrect, but they all think they're correct. Someone's "common sense" might tell them you walk around barefooted because there's no sense in wearing shoes because they never wear them, and that person might think all shoes-wearing people lack common sense. Most other people would think the no-shoes person lacked common sense. See what I mean?

As for claims of "it's only book smarts". Nah. No such thing. Either someone understands a concept or they do not. If they understand it it doesn't really matter how they came about that understanding, whether through reading books or through personal experience. If a "book smarts" person lacks understanding it's probably because they haven't read enough books on the subject. And, no, skimming doesn't count as reading. Also if you don't comprehend what you're reading, start over, try again, doesn't count until you do understand. If it's too hard, start out with more elementary books on a topic and then try again. Etc...

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-27 08:04:23

Both are important but I think that self awareness aka social skills is more important. Unless you are a super genus no one is going to hire you if you are obnoxious. Brains don't entitle you to acting like a fuckwad.

When I was in the 4th grade I was put into a highly capable class, kind of the opposite of special ed. While most of the other kids were pretty normal and chill there were some uppity little brats. They acted like because their family was impressed with them everyone else should be too. I remember one girl being really snotty to me because I "didn't like to read" and would rather play gameboy or throw the football. I don't recall her having any friends.

Then you get these people that act like you should be impressed and want to be their friend because they are smart. I have a lot of friendships based on people who I can have intelligent conversations with so don' get me wrong. It's the attitudes of some "smart" people who don't have social skills that get on my fucking nerves. No one walks on water because they get good grades.

One day a friend and I went to the book shop. While she is looking at books I pick a random one up and start trying to pronounce a Japanese word in it out loud. Out of nowhere this random girl says the word, followed by "I should know because I am half Japanese." In a very condescending tone as if she was waiting for an applause. All I replied with was a very annoyed "Um...ok." Because I am not going to bend over backwards because someone thinks they are superior.

Now, if the girl had explained the word without being rude I probably would have found her to be an interesting person. I probably would have struck up a conversation with her and made a possible new friend. Knowing she would probably act like a snot all the time I don't want anything to do with anyone who acts entitled for any reason.

I actually did learn to like reading later on, which is a story for another time.

Response to Self awareness vs. Intelligence 2016-06-27 14:13:02

At 6/26/16 10:32 AM, BrandonIsNear wrote: I'm on my phone so I don't really want to go too deep into the specifics of what I mean, but there's a lot of people out there who think they're geniuses. The problem is that those same people are often just book smart and don't really have much common sense,

Relative to the society, hence "common". Nothing to do with any type of intelligence.

wisdom,

Relative again, also requires experience.

social skills,

Advantageous only toward social interactions.

or a solid grasp of how the world works, all of which I just classified as 'self awareness ' to save title space.

Physics? Chemistry? Biology?

Anyways, I was arguing with a friend about it and he thinks book smarts/intelligence itself is better than my 'self awareness' according to him you don't need the other things as much as book smarts.
Just wanna hear how others think.

"Book smarts" is a faulty term. One can gain knowledge by many means, one can gain "self awareness" by mimicry. An animal behaviour. Actual "self awareness" is the ability of the self to cognize.

Also I'm not saying nobody is both, just debating which is more important.

The one that requires human intelligence.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature