00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted SkilledFella supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advice for solid gaming PC build

501 Views | 13 Replies

Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-15 05:57:27

Hi

I am strongly considering a Geforce GTX 1070 or 1080 and a strong PC that can support it fully.
I expect this PC to be able to run all games on Ultra for at least 3 years from now.

1). Is it worth upgrading now or should I wait a few months, you think? (not sure whether some new-gen hardware is around the corner which will make the current prices fall)

2). What type of CPU, Motherboard, SSD Drive and RAM would you suggest for this build?

3). Any other general advice?

My immediate point of view is that I would rather not pay 50% more cash for 10% performance boost. Hence, I am considering a 1070 over a 1080.

Thanks in advance

Heya

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-15 06:16:28

At 6/15/16 05:57 AM, Aleque wrote: Hi

I am strongly considering a Geforce GTX 1070 or 1080 and a strong PC that can support it fully.
I expect this PC to be able to run all games on Ultra for at least 3 years from now.

1). Is it worth upgrading now or should I wait a few months, you think? (not sure whether some new-gen hardware is around the corner which will make the current prices fall)

2). What type of CPU, Motherboard, SSD Drive and RAM would you suggest for this build?

My immediate point of view is that I would rather not pay 50% more cash for 10% performance boost. Hence, I am considering a 1070 over a 1080.

Thanks in advance

Major rule. Always check for compatibility with the other parts you are going to attach to your motherboard.
My friend bought a very expensive rigg, but it was mostly incompatible. jahhaaahaha

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

At 6/15/16 05:57 AM, Aleque wrote: Hi

Thanks in advance

I'd suggest a Skylake build since they're not much more than Haswell and will be more upgradable in the future when Kaby Lake and Cannonlake come out. Something like a multiplier unlocked i5 would be my lowball for maxing out a 1070. If you're looking to overclock it on the cheap the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is still one of the cheapest and best air coolers I've seen. I'd recommend a Samsung 850 EVO drive of your choice of capacity, with at least a 2TB HDD for games and user data since SSDs are so much more expensive than HDDs per gigabyte still. Even if you can't use it now, 16GB of RAM is going to be your targeted minimum since most games recommend at least 8 and it won't be long before they start recommending 16. As for the motherboard, anything LGA 1151 full ATX would be fine for what you want -- you could probably even get away with MicroATX but if you want to do SLI or Crossfire in the future ATX is the way to go.

A 1070 is fine, but personally I'd give the R9 480 a look when it comes out -- IIRC it's supposed to be a bit faster than the 1070 at a little over half the cost. As usual with AMD stuff though, it gives ballpark performance at a knock-down drag-out price but with much higher power consumption and thermal output.

RE Upgrading now -- Don't bother waiting unless you want to go directly to Kaby Lake or Cannonlake, new gen stuff never makes the older stuff cheaper IME because people want to upgrade their old rigs to their full potential.

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

At 6/15/16 05:57 AM, Aleque wrote:

honestly wait for GTX's to go down in price and fix the few bugs in the first generation and driver support. but you can still totally go for it regardless I'm just the cautious type.

if your getting a GTX you want Intel CPUs I would recommend the Skylake i7 6700K as its the 1151 socket and future cpu models will use it. you want an SSD and a regular harddrive, SSD for vital shit like the operating system the browser and gems you play often. and don't forget not to skimp out on cooling get a CPU All in one cooler.
if you are getting the latest CPU you'll be getting DDR4 RAM so I suggest 32GB of DDR4 2400 RAM is alwasy cheap as fuck. for the Motherboard I suggest ASUS or Gigabyte or MSI

if your worried about that wait till the 1080ti model comes out you'll get 30% more performance. plus GPU's are always the most expensive rule of thumb go for the best at the moment unless a higher end model is coming out within the next 6 months, otherwise you can rock that GPU for 5 years and it pays itself off even though a good GPU cost around $650ish.

Thanks in advance

speaking of which the 6 and 8 Core Skylake version of the old 59XX Haswell CPU's just came out I dunno if I wan't to upgrade and spend money on a 2011v3 Mobo. but the CPU specs are pretty fucking impressive with the operating frequency that high with that many cores and threads and can be Overclocked to 4-4.4GHZ.

if you need a comparison. the 6700K (4 cores 8 threads) is a V6 mustang it growls a little and looks nice and gets the job done, the 6800K (6 cores 8 threads) is the supped up V8 that roars and performs and the 6900K (8 cores 16 threads) is the mustang built for NASCAR racing.

fucking crazy man.

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-15 15:15:05

Yeah, buy a console like the rest of us.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-15 15:38:42

Use materials which are are solid in room temperature.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-15 18:23:55

At 6/15/16 03:38 PM, satanbrain wrote:

well that fucking rules out AMD, you can cook shit with those because of the heat output.

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-16 11:15:11

At 6/15/16 06:23 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 6/15/16 03:38 PM, satanbrain wrote:
well that fucking rules out AMD, you can cook shit with those because of the heat output.

It's a new free feature: oven.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-16 12:16:31

At 6/16/16 11:15 AM, satanbrain wrote: It's a new free feature: oven.

they're always two steps behind NVIDIA and Intel.

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-16 13:28:34

At 6/15/16 05:57 AM, Aleque wrote: I expect this PC to be able to run all games on Ultra for at least 3 years from now.

Graphical requirements are running at a much faster pace than actual graphical horsepower. You'll never max out all games for three years with the same GPU.

At 6/16/16 01:51 PM, Anarkat wrote: you know, if you live in winter weather you can use AMD to heat your room while playing COD.

I've seen it. An overclocked AMD 8 core and two AMD graphics cards and turn the fans outwards for negative pressure is all it takes.

Response to Advice for solid gaming PC build 2016-06-17 05:20:00

A free oven for cooking eggs and a radiator to heat my winter shack, included with the GPU and for even a lesser price? Fuck Nvidia, I am going for AMD!

On the serious note: Thanks for the replies so far. What about SLI? Is it worth it? Let's say I get a motherboard (which model?) with SLI support and a GTX 1070 - would I be able to plug in a GTX 1080 Ti (or even higher model GPU in the future) with my current GTX 1070 and get an optimal result?

I have no experience with SLI - all advice is welcome. I am just looking to invest into something that doesn't go obsolete in 1 year. Would be wonderful if I would be able to buy a new component or two in the future to boost my performance and therefore expand the lifetime of my PC instead of replacing it all with a completely different system. This is why SLI caught my attention.

Any thoughts?

Heya

At 6/15/16 05:57 AM, Aleque wrote: 1). Is it worth upgrading now or should I wait a few months, you think? (not sure whether some new-gen hardware is around the corner which will make the current prices fall)

Prices of gfx cards generally don't drop, that much. Generally they cease production and disappear. You might pick one up cheap in a clearance sale or as ex-display model. They won't go ultra cheap though.

As others have said... Samsung 850 pro SSD. They're amazing. The 840 evo is good but the driver is sloppy and it's not as fast either.
RAM is up to you. I suggest you look into CL timings and understand that, don't just go for highest MHz. I'm using 1600mhz hyper X savage and it's decent enough for me. Super fast latency.
Cpu, i7 skylake 6900k .. or the previous one may be cheaper, however the architecture is older. That's the i7 4790k. But an i5 will be just as good, for gaming. Truthfully, Xeon are the best but that's overkill. Don't consider AMD if you're getting an nVidia card.
Motherboards... Depends whether you're after a pure gaming machine or a workhorse. For gaming, MSI gaming range or the Asus rog range are the places to look. Workhorse... Gigabyte, ultra durable ones in particular. Or asus sabertooth. A few good MSI options again too. You'll need an lga1150 or whatever the one is to match your chosen cpu.

If you plan to buy good components, don't ever skimp on the motherboard. Get a decent mobo that has good connections, reliable, etc. Makes a huge difference. Also check out the 980ti Seahawk, by MSI. It comes over clocked as stock and ultra super powerful. Low temps too. Wait and see if they make one for the gtx 1080ti, I suppose?? That could be a while though. Also a decent case helps keep things cool and quiet. I use full ATX so looked at options like antec cases.. The fractal design define r4. Settled on a Lian-Li one. Also if you're gonna spend that much money, get a monitor that can handle it otherwise you're just wasting money. G-sync is what you'll want, it's unparalleled. I have the pg278q, can confirm its amazing. Even for a TN panel.

Expect to pay at least $3500 if you want all of the above. If you want to save money over 10% performance boost then why bother. You'll only want to upgrade further down the line.