00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Drake-Star just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP

29,711 Views | 96 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Today marks the beginning of our Summer Animation Jams competition, where every two weeks we will be announcing a new theme and animators will have two weeks to complete an animation around that theme. Points are awarded each round and winners are announced at the end. You don't have to participate in every round but you'll have the most opportunities to earn points that way.

The ROUND ONE theme is LOOP.

Whenever the topic of themes has come up, @Spazkid has expressed how much he enjoys looping animations that start and stop at the same place, so we're running with his suggestion and making him a judge for this round!

We have brought @TheBoogley on board to judge as well. Besides having animated some of the best loops on Newgrounds, TheBoogley also created LoopdeLoop, an international animation challenge and community around looping animations.

Added bonus: the winning (content appropriate) entry will be screened in front of a live audience at a LoopdeLoop show in Melbourne, Australia!

You can upload your animation as a seamlessly looping SWF or create a video that can properly loop - check off the box that says "This Loops" on your Project Details page, it's above the Preview and Publish buttons. It's best to avoid intros and outros in this case so everything is seamless.

Rules:

Minimum 15 seconds of animation.

Tag your entry "LoopJam"

Content must be original; no parodies or characters you didn't create.

Music must be from the Audio Portal or an original piece by a teammate.

As lead animator, you may partner with background artists, in-betweeners, colorers, writers, voice actors, musicians and sound effects artists.

The lead animator is the one who earns points in each round of this event. Support members may work with multiple animators and change things up each round.

Due Date:

Monday, June 27th, 3PM EST.

Discuss your progress in this Animation Forum thread!

Update: Watch the entries!

Example looping animations:

Looking forward to seeing your loops! The ROUND 2 theme will be announced on June 27th at 3PM EST as well. More info here.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:04:27

Does the animation have to actually be looping or can we base our entry on the topic more loosely?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:08:08

At 6/13/16 03:04 PM, CzySzy wrote: Does the animation have to actually be looping or can we base our entry on the topic more loosely?

I was wondering about this myself because in general, themes are completely open to interpretation. In this case though my gut says it would be best to stick with the format of having something that starts and stops on the same thing so that it can loop seamlessly... If you have an idea you're really excited about, you could PM me about it though and it could get some extra thinking.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:10:05

Good luck everyone!

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:31:59

GROOVY

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:32:31

Hit me up if you need voice work!

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 15:54:25

I'm so ready for this.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 16:29:48

This is a rad idea Tom! Thanks for putting this all together. I probably wouldn't have been able to join NATA if it was on, but I'll see if I can scrape together enough time to make a worthwhile piece for you guys. Best of luck with the Jams all around!

Cheers!
-J

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 17:35:50

At 6/13/16 04:29 PM, CroMagg wrote: This is a rad idea Tom! Thanks for putting this all together. I probably wouldn't have been able to join NATA if it was on, but I'll see if I can scrape together enough time to make a worthwhile piece for you guys. Best of luck with the Jams all around!

Cheers!
-J

Been a little nervous that the theme is TOO broad but it feels like a good way to kick things off since you can also go pretty small with it if you're still wrapping up school, etc. Hoping people like it and there will be a good turnout :)

BBS Signature

Hae @TomFulp can you clarify the tag please also, can one submit more than one? coz r8 now am mind-blown with creativity.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 18:09:15

At 6/13/16 06:05 PM, Akuaitance wrote: Hae @TomFulp can you clarify the tag please also, can one submit more than one? coz r8 now am mind-blown with creativity.

You can make more than one entry. Tag them with "LoopJam" - I just added that to the rules, thanks for pointing that out.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 18:56:02

I want to volunteer myself as an in-between animator for anyone who needs it. I can also do backgrounds. Just putting myself out there.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 19:33:00

This seems like a perfect way to start.

I'm more than ready, and I hope my team feels as good about this as I do.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 19:58:35

Shoot me up if you need a VA!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 20:31:50

Right on! Hu... now where to begin? ;)

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 20:58:44

I'm hatching ideas already. Let's go!

BBS Signature

At 6/13/16 03:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/13/16 03:04 PM, CzySzy wrote: Does the animation have to actually be looping or can we base our entry on the topic more loosely?
I was wondering about this myself because in general, themes are completely open to interpretation. In this case though my gut says it would be best to stick with the format of having something that starts and stops on the same thing so that it can loop seamlessly... If you have an idea you're really excited about, you could PM me about it though and it could get some extra thinking.

What I am wondering is if it can be looping, but appear like it is not.
Like this

Edit: After re-reading your post, I feel you are trying to compel users to make an actual loop, rather than something like this.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-13 21:40:14

I'm a background artist and I'm looking for an animator who'd like to team up for this round.

http://zeedox.newgrounds.com/news/post/962975

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 07:25:50

At 6/13/16 09:40 PM, zeedox wrote: I'm a background artist and I'm looking for an animator who'd like to team up for this round.

http://zeedox.newgrounds.com/news/post/962975

sent you a pm

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 09:41:22

At 6/13/16 09:05 PM, DrClay wrote: What I am wondering is if it can be looping, but appear like it is not.
Like this
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377178
Edit: After re-reading your post, I feel you are trying to compel users to make an actual loop, rather than something like this.

I actually had that in my list of examples at first but then left it out - something like this would be ok though if you want to give it a shot!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 09:43:07

Would I be able to use music I made instead of a team member?

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 09:46:07

At 6/14/16 09:43 AM, tbremise wrote: Would I be able to use music I made instead of a team member?

Yup!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 11:25:54

I LOVE THIS THEME!! I am going to have to find some time somewhere to enter this, sounds fun! :) Also love the idea of @TheBoogley being a judge. Super appropriate!

Follow me!

YOUTUBE

TWITTER

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 12:01:03

I just heard from Wacom today that my tablet is finally on it's way back from repair so, assuming I receive it sometime this week, I'll try to whip something up! The loop theme seems ideal for getting back into the animation groove ;D

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 15:21:59

Seems Fun!

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-14 22:10:10

I don't imagine there'd be restrictions on sound effects though, would there?

Like clanging sounds n' such.

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-15 09:42:46

At 6/14/16 10:10 PM, TopSpinThefuzzy wrote: I don't imagine there'd be restrictions on sound effects though, would there?

Like clanging sounds n' such.

Not too picky on sound effects.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-16 03:18:54

Response to Animation Jam Round 1: LOOP 2016-06-16 17:07:58

OH I AM SO GAME.

www.linktcone.co.uk

|~ LinkTCOne ~|

BBS Signature

I need a background artist, in-betweener, a colorist who does shading, musician, and sound effects artist. PM me for more details about my project.