00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

heyitsjustpIxel just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The gay voice

1,469 Views | 28 Replies

The gay voice 2016-06-03 11:50:42

Now before this thread gets locked and someone gets offended hear me out.

There's that stereotypical gay voice we all know about. Everyone I know who sounds 'gay' usually is. Which brings me to a moral dilemma.
Every time I hear someone with the gay voice, I assume they're gay. Stupid, sure, but it works every time.
However, there's also gay people who don't have the gay voice.
Does that mean there's people with the gay voice who aren't gay. WAIT. DON'T COMMENT HOW STUPID I AM YET.
I don't want a 'sure of course there is out of almost 8billion people blah blah.' Do YOU know anyone with the stereotypical gay voice that IS NOT gay or in the closet.
I BET you don't

Please discuss

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 12:11:50

At 6/3/16 12:03 PM, NekoMika wrote: Nope, I knew of no gay guys with the stereotyped lisp.

You're either lying or not telling the truth here.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 12:29:14

At 6/3/16 12:11 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote:
At 6/3/16 12:03 PM, NekoMika wrote: Nope, I knew of no gay guys with the stereotyped lisp.

I know a lot of gay people, and I've only met two in my whole life who ever fit the stereotype. I've also met a couple of others who had the voice but were completely heterosexual. Someone told me once that the stereotype is a New York/SoCal thing.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 13:19:44

At 6/3/16 12:29 PM, FinaLee wrote:
I know a lot of gay people, and I've only met two in my whole life who ever fit the stereotype. I've also met a couple of others who had the voice but were completely heterosexual. Someone told me once that the stereotype is a New York/SoCal thing.

Maybe the ones I know just consciously did it then. Maybe I just happened to stumble upon an anomaly.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 15:40:37

It could be that they have low Testosterone levels that contributes to that sort of voice

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 15:51:33

What bothers me most about this whole gay frequency and what not is that half the time you speak to these people.
They tend to sound wimpy and insecure when in fact the truth is they are ultra defensive and very aggressive.

It's a fucking mind rape yo.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 15:54:59

At 6/3/16 03:51 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote: What bothers me most about this whole gay frequency and what not is that half the time you speak to these people.
They tend to sound wimpy and insecure when in fact the truth is they are ultra defensive and very aggressive.

It's a fucking mind rape yo.

I can stand by that and would like to throw in my opinion that insecure gay people are easily the most rude and aggressive people I've ever talked to.
That being said, my gay friends are also some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 16:43:35

At 6/3/16 03:54 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote:
That being said, my gay friends are also some of the nicest people I've ever met.

They're only that way because you got something they want.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 16:49:03

At 6/3/16 04:43 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote:
At 6/3/16 03:54 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote:
They're only that way because you got something they want.

I'd take that as a compliment

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:04:55

Every single gay male that I know has the voice, whenever I find someone with that voice, there's a 95 percent chance that they're gay.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:07:15

At 6/3/16 05:04 PM, poopmcfarts wrote: Every single gay male that I know has the voice, whenever I find someone with that voice, there's a 95 percent chance that they're gay.

So it's not just me after all.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:15:59 (edited 2016-06-03 17:17:31)

I'd make two assumptions;

At 6/3/16 03:40 PM, argile wrote: It could be that they have low Testosterone levels that contributes to that sort of voice

This is the first one. Typically it's the scrawny, lanky gay folks that have the voice, so it may be a case of testosterone.

On the other hand, you have those big burly gays that don't sound like it. Perhaps they just have more estrogen but a similar amount of testosterone.

Maybe there's two hormonal values of being gay. Serious suggestion.

Secondly, it may only be cultural and subconscious. You tend to hear this lisp in big cities like San Fran, Hollywood, NYC, etc, but it diminishes or goes away altogether the more rural you get.

They say that the Northern and Southern portions of the United States had similar accents at the start of the Civil War. The South, in a subconscious quest to be different, began to develop an accent to set themselves apart. Before the War, there was almost no documentation of accent differences.

With nobody crossing the Smokies during the War to simply chat, which is how accents are maintained, it got more and more different.

Again, not to be a dick, but it is no secret that the LGBT community likes to stand out and make themselves known. Instead of a regional accent, it may have developed a cultural accent.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:24:21 (edited 2016-06-03 17:25:04)

At 6/3/16 05:15 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
Again, not to be a dick, but it is no secret that the LGBT community likes to stand out and make themselves known. Instead of a regional accent, it may have developed a cultural accent.

I can totally get behind this assumption. I do live in the South (rural TN), and I hear a lot of the voices despite others saying it's more of a city/ northern thing.
I also agree with the whole lack of testosterone/ more estrogen argument, so it might be a mix of some having it and some just wanting to stand out and be known, so they exaggerate their behavior.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:41:54

I know a """"""""""""""straight"""""""""""""" guy who talks like that, he's totally in the closet and doesn't realize it.

Can confirm.
Case closed.
/thread
Adios muchachos

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 17:45:30

At 6/3/16 05:41 PM, Radaketor wrote: I know a """"""""""""""straight"""""""""""""" guy who talks like that, he's totally in the closet and doesn't realize it.

Can confirm.
Case closed.
/thread
Adios muchachos

I think we all know a """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""straight""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" guy that talks like that.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 18:32:32

At 6/3/16 12:29 PM, FinaLee wrote: Someone told me once that the stereotype is a New York/SoCal thing.

That someone is correct. It's huge in Socal.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:02:28

I'm gay and i don't have the voice. Most gays I meet do though. I think it's very strange.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:06:42

At 6/3/16 07:02 PM, poinl wrote: I'm gay and i don't have the voice. Most gays I meet do though. I think it's very strange.

Because people in Texas brutally murder anyone that's different.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:15:49

At 6/3/16 07:02 PM, poinl wrote: I'm gay and i don't have the voice. Most gays I meet do though. I think it's very strange.

Is it appealing to some people?
Like... I don't know why but I kind of imagine a subculture within the gay community where people without the 'gay voice' are actually looked down on.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:18:22

At 6/3/16 07:06 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
Because people in Texas brutally murder anyone that's different.

Texas is one of the friendliest places on the planet.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:48:40

At 6/3/16 05:41 PM, Radaketor wrote: I know a """"""""""""""straight"""""""""""""" guy who talks like that, he's totally in the closet and doesn't realize it.

Can confirm.
Case closed.
/thread
Adios muchachos

Wait, you can confirm your friend is a closeted gay?
What are you, hiding in there with him?

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:54:46

Only one I know of is my half-brother but you really can't notice it unless you're actively trying to hear for it.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 19:57:48

I'm gay.

But I don't have that voice unless I force myself in the rarest of occasions.

INB4 Voocaroo.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 20:07:02

At 6/3/16 07:48 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote: Wait, you can confirm your friend is a closeted gay?
What are you, hiding in there with him?

Yes, i stroke his hair at night until he falls asleep then kiss his forehead goodnight.
I'll bump this thread when someone catches him sucking another guy off, so probably in the next few months since he's just gotten into uni.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 20:07:51

At 6/3/16 11:50 AM, BrandonIsNear wrote: Now before this thread gets locked and someone gets offended hear me out.

There's that stereotypical gay voice we all know about. Everyone I know who sounds 'gay' usually is. Which brings me to a moral dilemma.
Every time I hear someone with the gay voice, I assume they're gay. Stupid, sure, but it works every time.
However, there's also gay people who don't have the gay voice.

There are several types of gay people and that's your answer right there. The gay people who have the voice are the effeminate gays, but not all gays are effeminate gays. There are also macho gays. And there are more "blends in with everyone else" gays.

But yes everyone with the "gay voice" does turn out to be gay, pretty much. Even a few who denied it later turned out to just be in the closet.

And it's not just about having a high voice. Someone with a high voice isn't necessarily gay. But the "gay voice" isn't merely having a high voice but there's a certain way they speak which is really a "know it when you hear it". You can tell that isn't actually their natural speaking voice and that it's an intentional voice they're putting on, and that if they wanted to sound "normal" they could. But they prefer using that voice, I would assume, because it helps others to know that they're gay, without them having to explicitly tell people they're gay.

I don't think she's lying, but I think just perhaps she doesn't know enough gay people to have really encountered it beyond perhaps TV shows. There happen to be a good amount of gay people in my area (despite being in the South and despite gay people being hated by the religious types around here), so it's more common.

At 6/3/16 05:15 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Secondly, it may only be cultural and subconscious. You tend to hear this lisp in big cities like San Fran, Hollywood, NYC, etc, but it diminishes or goes away altogether the more rural you get.

That's not really true. I'm not near any of those places and it's very common around here.

They say that the Northern and Southern portions of the United States had similar accents at the start of the Civil War. The South, in a subconscious quest to be different, began to develop an accent to set themselves apart. Before the War, there was almost no documentation of accent differences.

*cough* BS *cough*. Yankees developed those nasally accents, not us Southerners. So either the Northerners deliberately changed *their* accents, or, more likely, simply a matter of separation over time can naturally change things, and the accents on both sides changed, like how supposedly there are now differences in speech between North and South Korea. It doesn't even really take all that much time for some differences to form. -- I mean hell presumably all humans on earth spoke the same language at some point in the distant past and look where we are now.

I can agree with this, however. It's possible it's a way for them to say "Hey I'm gay" without actually having to say "Hey I'm gay" in a world where there's a lot of people who would do them bodily harm simply for being gay. At least with the gay accent, there's the plausible deniability when confronted by a gay hater -- the gay hater doesn't have *proof* they're gay, so maybe they leave them be, even though they'll certainly be watching them.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 20:11:55

At 6/3/16 07:57 PM, Painbringer wrote: I'm gay.

But I don't have that voice unless I force myself in the rarest of occasions.

I always imagined reading your posts in a super awkward high-pitched man voice.
It's not because you're gay,
it's just because you remind me of a very annoying younger cousin of mine.

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 20:44:42 (edited 2016-06-03 20:44:52)

At 6/3/16 08:07 PM, NeonSpider wrote: *cough* BS *cough*.

It's one of those things that can be argued but not really proven anyway.

But, in my mind, I figure most the rest of the US has accents similar to the North, albeit less nasally.

The North was colonized first from England.

And the South is/was always isolated by mountain ranges.

So, in my honest opinion, the North is what colonial America sounded most closely to, and the Southern dialect evolved.

BBS Signature

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 20:55:51

At 6/3/16 08:44 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: But, in my mind, I figure most the rest of the US has accents similar to the North, albeit less nasally.

Mmm. I don't really find that to be the case. If someone's from, say, New Jersey or New York, there's a good chance they sound like they're from New Jersey or New York. I'm not likely to mistake them for, say, someone from Idaho.

The North was colonized first from England.

So why doesn't the North have a more British accent then?

So, in my honest opinion, the North is what colonial America sounded most closely to, and the Southern dialect evolved.

I would say they both evolved and language has evolved since the beginning of time. And at some point dialects are no longer dialects but instead entirely new languages. I mean how many languages do we have today? And you know it's most likely the case all humans spoke one language at some point in the distant past, but that people started speaking slightly differently and so on and so forth until it was different enough to be entirely incompatible languages and so on. Generally yes because of geographical separation or isolation over time. That part you're right about.

Also, historically, people would adopt the speech style of their kings and queens, but that wouldn't be the case as much nowadays. The reasoning was that you don't dare correct the king or queen (because off with your head) so whatever way they said some words became the official way those words were spoken.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to The gay voice 2016-06-03 21:06:33

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had a gay friend. Bisexual yes, but gay no.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature