00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Never leaving US boring?

417 Views | 11 Replies

Do you think it's boring if Americans never leave the US? I'm American and I've never left the US until I was 17, as I've been to Canada, China, and Hong Kong. I've met a lot of people who have never left the US, and not only that, have never been anywhere further than another state.

Do you think that's boring? It sounds boring to me. It makes sense as many Americans are too poor to travel, don't care enough to travel or learn another language, or just are not interested. Everyone should leave their country, no matter the country, at least once in their life.

My coworker told me he's met some people, mostly young, who have never even left our COUNTY. He said they are mostly poor Hispanic families who struggle to have a meal on a daily basis and don't have a car, and don't bother to go to San Francisco, which is an hour away.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:13:55

At 5/23/16 09:09 PM, Bryan wrote: Wow. Your post quickly turned incredibly racist by the end. Why are you making so many assumptions? My dad has never left the country. So what? You sound like a real asshole in the way you worded your post OP.

There was nothing racist about my post. That's what my coworker said, and it's true. Are you some kind of social justice warrior who gets offended about everything?

Anyway, I just said it's boring to never leave the US. There's a whole world out there.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:18:35

At 5/23/16 09:16 PM, Bryan wrote:
At 5/23/16 09:13 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote:
At 5/23/16 09:09 PM, Bryan wrote: Wow. Your post quickly turned incredibly racist by the end. Why are you making so many assumptions? My dad has never left the country. So what? You sound like a real asshole in the way you worded your post OP.
There was nothing racist about my post. That's what my coworker said, and it's true. Are you some kind of social justice warrior who gets offended about everything?

Anyway, I just said it's boring to never leave the US. There's a whole world out there.
At 5/23/16 09:04 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote:
My coworker told me he's met some people, mostly young, who have never even left our COUNTY. He said they are mostly poor Hispanic families who struggle to have a meal on a daily basis and don't have a car, and don't bother to go to San Francisco, which is an hour away.
Totally not racist, just a racially motivated generalization.

Also, saying that your coworker said it (even though you agree with it) and that "it's true" doesn't make you any less culpable for the words that come from your keyboard.

I have had comments made against my race that can definitely be seen as racist, but there was absolutely nothing racist about what I said. I wouldn't even think much about it, it's just a detail. Stop misusing a word because you feel better about yourself by being a social justice warrior.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:19:43

His post doesn't send off any assholish vibes to me. Also, there's no racism in the post. Maybe you're just tired after a hard day, Bryan.

Anyways, if staying in your home country is what makes you happy, then far be it for me to force you to go to another country. Infact, I literally have no interest in traveling internationally. It just doesn't interest me. I have been to Mexico, though. But that's because it's a 30 minutes trip from my house.

BBS Signature

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:22:29

At 5/23/16 09:19 PM, Monster64 wrote: Anyways, if staying in your home country is what makes you happy, then far be it for me to force you to go to another country. Infact, I literally have no interest in traveling internationally. It just doesn't interest me. I have been to Mexico, though. But that's because it's a 30 minutes trip from my house.

I'd go to Mexico too. You should go to Canada, somewhere around Vancouver. It's really pretty, especially in the summer.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:27:53

At 5/23/16 09:16 PM, Bryan wrote:
Also, saying that your coworker said it (even though you agree with it) and that "it's true" doesn't make you any less culpable for the words that come from your keyboard.

It's okay, I thought he got kind of rude toward the end as well.
Maybe it's just the tone we both read it in.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:29:43

I don't have any goddamn money.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:34:19

At 5/23/16 09:27 PM, MemeFiend3 wrote:
At 5/23/16 09:04 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote:
What would I go to another country for? Sounds like a waste of time and money tbh.

It just changes the way you think about life. Traveling changes the way you think about the world and you learn a lot. It's like when you do drugs or drink for the first time, only that there's really not a big detriment to your well-being unless you travel to a dangerous place.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 21:52:08

At 5/23/16 09:49 PM, Homicidee wrote: Basically. It is boring living in the same environment, but at the same time you get so used to it you miss it the day you leave. Only place I've been was Mexico, and that was for personal purposes.

That makes sense, but when I was in Asia I felt connected to it because I'm half-Asian and I have a lot of relatives in China and other Asian countries. The environment was still very foreign to me. I didn't really miss America at all when I was there for a month the two times I've been there.

I'd say at least go to Canada or something. It's not a whole lot different than the US at all, but it's still different enough.

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-23 22:26:30

i believe it's good to go out and see more. yeah, be great if everyone could go to a different country and soak up a different culture.

at the very least, people need to get out of their home state. take a road trip, see stuff, meet people.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-24 04:59:38

At 5/24/16 02:16 AM, Xenomit wrote: to I don't know what fucking landscape california is

Based on my limited experiences, it's a miserable fucking desert and tends to source some of our shittier users on this forum like @Monster64

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Never leaving US boring? 2016-05-24 07:18:47

I wouldn't necessarily call it boring, My family travels every few years. 2 years back we went to Maine. In a few years We'll probably head west somewhere.

We try the local foods, go to the local art centers and see new things.

We've been to Canada before if that counts towards anything...

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature