00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

chipfire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please

442 Views | 6 Replies

Almost a year ago I uploaded a fan made Mario game which although not the best, received some pretty good reviews and even a Newgrounds underdog of the week accolade. For the past 3 months I've been working on episode 2 of my series and made some pretty huge upgrades as opposed to episode 1. This game is pretty long, and has medals along with some pretty cool gameplay. I was really looking forward to its release. About 5 minutes after I published the game it was removed, not soon after that Episode 1 of my series which once again has been on NG for almost a year, was also removed. The message said it might have been due to a violation of some sort, or a possible copyright issue. Now I understand Mario isn't a character I created whatsoever, I don't pass off any of the animations or settings as my own in any way shape or form, I just slightly modify them and make something special out of them. My question is why now have they removed not one but both projects ? Is it because I was a supporter when I released Episode 1 and now I'm not? (which I do plan to renew). Fan made copyrighted content such as mine, or anyone elses (mario, sonic, dragon ball z, naruto etc.) has been a staple of Newgrounds for over a decade..I've reached out to both Tom and Wade and so far have not gotten a response. I think people will really enjoy episode 2 of my series, I hope this was all just a mistake to be ironed out soon. If these copyright issues are such a big problem why is content such as super mario bros z or final fantasy sonic x still floating around ? Those are made with sprites the creators probably didn't make, I just want this to be resolved so I can have both of my projects restored..The project is or was "Mario's Final RPG Ep.1" Some of you may have played it.

MetaMike

This is no longer a Democracy

BBS Signature

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 12:50:07

I'm gonna bet it's because Nintendo started issuing take down notices for any of its IP, so we had to remove a bunch of old submissions and can't accept new ones.

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 14:38:59

At 5/22/16 12:50 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: I'm gonna bet it's because Nintendo started issuing take down notices for any of its IP, so we had to remove a bunch of old submissions and can't accept new ones.

"We" had to remove ? are you part of the moderation team ? Is there anything I can do to get them reposted ?

MetaMike

BBS Signature

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 14:44:18

At 5/22/16 02:38 PM, MetaMike wrote:
At 5/22/16 12:50 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: I'm gonna bet it's because Nintendo started issuing take down notices for any of its IP, so we had to remove a bunch of old submissions and can't accept new ones.
"We" had to remove ? are you part of the moderation team ? Is there anything I can do to get them reposted ?

Bren is a staff member. So I guess he's part of moderation? But as for reposting them, I mean you can try but they'll most likely get taken down all over again. Like he said, Nintendo is issuing take down notices for any of it's IP so they have to remove em.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 15:00:17

At 5/22/16 02:42 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 5/22/16 02:38 PM, MetaMike wrote: "We" had to remove ? are you part of the moderation team ? Is there anything I can do to get them reposted ?
yes he is, and no there isn't
tonnes of stuff got removed
you can get your own hosting space and upload them there, though

My own hosting space on here ? Or elsewhere ?

MetaMike

BBS Signature

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 15:01:35

At 5/22/16 02:44 PM, Viper wrote:
At 5/22/16 02:38 PM, MetaMike wrote:
Bren is a staff member. So I guess he's part of moderation? But as for reposting them, I mean you can try but they'll most likely get taken down all over again. Like he said, Nintendo is issuing take down notices for any of it's IP so they have to remove em.

Man ): that's a shame I worked really hard on this, hopefully this doesn't go for every website. Do you think its a temporary thing, this IP issue..?

MetaMike

BBS Signature

Response to 2 Projects Removed, Weigh in please 2016-05-22 15:37:56

Only time will tell, Nintendo has been being hard asses on any fan content, and as of late, they're trying to anally penetrate youtube Super Mario community by trying to copyright all Super Mario videos and possibly have them taken down. Quite an overreach and no doubt this WILL drive away their fans.

Yeah tell me about it

MetaMike

BBS Signature