00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orangebag4448 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need criticisms for FMA sprites

506 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-07 21:32:41

I'm working on some portrait's for some "full metal alchemist"
characters and possible characters from other franchises.
I've currently only Ed to a presentable standard.

I tried keeping it to 4 colours per asset e.g. hair, skin, jacket
But that still left 40+ colours...

Criticism on the art it's would be cool, but I actually want to know which of the 4 variations of the 2 sprites are better.
A: black outlines with a white contrasting border
B: A plain black outline
C: plain
The tiny one: seloutline version (professionally fitted in :)

(I would like a definitive style to choose?)

Thanks for clicking her anyway and reading this, it will help alot if you can give feedback.

I want suggestions for future art...

If you like these pictures... please CLICK

It depends on what colour background you're presenting the work with. I know I would use type A as a general version, because the black border+white outline combo makes the sprite stick out against any background. However, this method creates a lack of cohesion between the background and the sprite (which is bad news if you plan on rendering an entire scene with these guys), which is what selective outlining is great for! However, selective outlining needs to be specific to the background it stands against. If you plan on presenting these with a background with a full range of colours, there's a chance that you might have to go back and re-touch your selout so that the sprite and background don't work against each other.

If you plan on the sprites standing alone, A! However, if you want to present them with a fully rendered background, I would recommend working with the selout! I hope this helps!

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-08 00:00:57

At 5/7/16 10:27 PM, moawling wrote: It depends on what colour background you're presenting the work with. I know I would use type A as a general version, because the black border+white outline combo makes the sprite stick out against any background. However, this method creates a lack of cohesion between the background and the sprite (which is bad news if you plan on rendering an entire scene with these guys), which is what selective outlining is great for! However, selective outlining needs to be specific to the background it stands against. If you plan on presenting these with a background with a full range of colours, there's a chance that you might have to go back and re-touch your selout so that the sprite and background don't work against each other.

If you plan on the sprites standing alone, A! However, if you want to present them with a fully rendered background, I would recommend working with the selout! I hope this helps!

I defiantly want to use selout, and have a background... doing backgrounds are out of my comfort zone (but i'll try)
Anyway, I'm working on Alphonse. Not even his helmet is complete yet...

I'm really tired, thanks for the help... here's a picture of Hasselhoff and with Sharpys
(when did this get onto my computer?)

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-08 12:29:22

At 5/8/16 12:00 AM, morganstedmanmsNG wrote:
At 5/7/16 10:27 PM, moawling wrote:
I defiantly want to use selout, and have a background... doing backgrounds are out of my comfort zone (but i'll try)

I'm really tired, thanks for the help... here's a picture of Hasselhoff and with Sharpys

I hope you get some rest haha, pixels can be very straining to work with sometimes. As for selouts, sometimes it helps to make parts of the selout with different levels of opacity to fit in with the background better. That way you can have a better sense of colours.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting more contrast in your colour palette! It can help reduce the number of colours that you're working with and help with pixel economy. I can't wait to see how your work turns out! Good luck!

(Hasslehoff finds a way to everyone's computers btw, it's not surprising that he's there)

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-08 17:59:38

At 5/8/16 12:29 PM, moawling wrote:
At 5/8/16 12:00 AM, morganstedmanmsNG wrote:
At 5/7/16 10:27 PM, moawling wrote:

I hope you get some rest haha, pixels can be very straining to work with sometimes. As for selouts, sometimes it helps to make parts of the selout with different levels of opacity to fit in with the background better. That way you can have a better sense of colours.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting more contrast in your colour palette! It can help reduce the number of colours that you're working with and help with pixel economy. I can't wait to see how your work turns out! Good luck!

(Hasslehoff finds a way to everyone's computers btw, it's not surprising that he's there)

I've decided to just have them against a white background and started work on Al (accurate height).
I think he will have half the amount of colours Ed has.

aND ABOUT THE colour contrasting, I don't think I can do that with the techinal capabilities of MSpaint. (also, there seeen to be a 7 second lag in typing, so sorry.)

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-09 18:58:23

At 5/8/16 05:59 PM, morganstedmanmsNG wrote:
I've decided to just have them against a white background and started work on Al (accurate height).

aND ABOUT THE colour contrasting, I don't think I can do that with the techinal capabilities of MSpaint. (also, there seeen to be a 7 second lag in typing, so sorry.)

When I say contrast, I'm referring to your colour choices in relation to each other. You can have more hue and saturation variances between the colours that you chose. It's all about planning your colour ramp carefully before you work on a project. Feel free to look up other pixel artists' colour palettes to see what I mean.

This forum does a great job of explaining it, http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10695, especially the part about non-linear colour palettes. http://i.imgur.com/gNPZiCJ.png

I hope that this helps.

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-09 22:02:56

for me, i think it looks awesome :)

Response to Need criticisms for FMA sprites 2016-05-10 13:06:09

At 5/9/16 06:58 PM, moawling wrote:
At 5/8/16 05:59 PM, morganstedmanmsNG wrote:

When I say contrast, I'm referring to your colour choices in relation to each other. You can have more hue and saturation variances between the colours that you chose. It's all about planning your colour ramp carefully before you work on a project. Feel free to look up other pixel artists' colour palettes to see what I mean.

This forum does a great job of explaining it, http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10695, especially the part about non-linear colour palettes. http://i.imgur.com/gNPZiCJ.png

I hope that this helps.

I managed too (accidentally) contrast in MS paint... :|
Al only has a different colour pallet, but both Ed's have a very decreased colour scheme...

I really don't want to count every colour used by hand... (I can, but it takes ages)
and I'm wondering if you know a way to do it in a quick way?