00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Style VS Bad Basics

490 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Style VS Bad Basics 2016-05-01 19:25:36

i'd like to state, i'm nowhere near a place in my art were style should even concern me, buuuut im curious anyway. Now Art is all up to the viewer, for instance, one may find Shadman's Art amazing, while another may find it gross, both are right because its their opinion, but there has to be a point in which its no longer style, it's just lazy, bad basics like color scheme or physical design. im curious on your guy's take on it. When does Style become lazy. Examples? Opinions? Disagree entirely?

Response to Style VS Bad Basics 2016-05-02 02:33:35

At 5/1/16 07:25 PM, masterpandalord64 wrote: i'd like to state, i'm nowhere near a place in my art were style should even concern me, buuuut im curious anyway. Now Art is all up to the viewer, for instance, one may find Shadman's Art amazing, while another may find it gross, both are right because its their opinion, but there has to be a point in which its no longer style, it's just lazy, bad basics like color scheme or physical design. im curious on your guy's take on it. When does Style become lazy. Examples? Opinions? Disagree entirely?

To me a style becomes lazy when somebody becomes complacent in theirs and only chooses to draw the same thing, or types of things, over and over with very little variation. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be lazy either, sometimes it just works and if you have a winning formula and you gotta pay the bills may as well draw tits and ass of pop culture characters if that's what's gonna get the job done.
I'm in the boat that artists, especially beginning artists, don't have to beat the basics into their heads with studies and life drawings and still lives or whatever (I will say it is the fastest way to improve skills though and hand that advice out to people who are looking to improve faster toward something) from the start. I think everybody should draw whatever they want however they want and if they want to call it their style I don't think the first reaction should be for more established artists to pounce on them and say "it's not style it's just you being lazy." The thing about it is if somebody is serious about drawing, chances are they will do it every day and improve doing their thing slowly but surely. Eventually they'll probably come to the conclusion that fundamentals can only help them and check them out on their own. The easiest way to make something unenjoyable for somebody who is just starting out and trying to have fun is to shut them down and tell them they're doing everything wrong and should change whatever to be the most efficient.

Response to Style VS Bad Basics 2016-05-02 04:14:40

Art has a lot to do with self-improvement. No-one watching over you has the power to force what you make. You improve in the ways you see fit, but it's usually a positive to really challenge yourself. You want to stylize instead of learning anatomy? That's fine, if you think that's what you're short on. If one clearly uses it as an excuse, though, simply don't be surprised that people will call you out on the dangers of stagnating.

Don't worry, make art.

fuck yeah these deathink icons

BBS Signature

Response to Style VS Bad Basics 2016-05-02 08:20:19

I agree with Test and Jack but I'd like to add that a lot of beginning artists stress out about how to develop their styles or think they don't have one, and really this is never a problem. Style is the sum of the choices you make and its overwhelmingly influenced by the person you are and the things you like: style will happen whether you want it to or not.