00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheForgottenWaugh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Tablets

448 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Art Tablets 2016-04-28 09:47:51

alrighty, ive done a wee bit of research on the subject of buying an art tablet but i want to know the opinion of those who use them. Jazza in his videos said get Wacom tablets due to the "support" it has, but i was wondering what else there is; i don't want the equivalent of a "walmart brand" tablet, but i don't exactly need the "art pro 9000x hyper omega" either. now i'm NOT talking about those $500-$1000 screen tablets, the ones you draw directly on like you're drawing on the screen, im speaking of the mouse replacement tablets, that seem to range between guess-ematedly $50-$150.

Response to Art Tablets 2016-04-28 12:09:06

At 4/28/16 10:08 AM, dilandoubishop wrote:
At 4/28/16 09:47 AM, masterpandalord64 wrote:
Depends. If you want to be serious about art. If you want to seriously pursue animation and art, instead of a hobby. Go for it. Its a pricey investment. I use a wacom intuos 4 medium. Bought it back when it was $500. Now you could buy it used on amazon for around 150-200. Intuos pro medium is running for $300 something. You could use the cheaper bamboo or studio manga for touch ups or coloring. Whatever suits your needs. Hell you could use pencil, paper and a flatbed scanner. Personally, tablets have made my work more efficient and faster. But I had to get used to it.

ok, so im not LOOKING to become professional, all tho id like to eventually produce that level of quality (always want to improve) so my price range for a decent tablet is about 150-300 medium size? (ive been browsing amazon and the ones im looking at are 50-100ish, tho i cant tell if im looking at cheap ones or just amazon has low prices this is what ive been looking at

Response to Art Tablets 2016-04-28 12:13:34

At 4/28/16 12:09 PM, masterpandalord64 wrote:
At 4/28/16 10:08 AM, dilandoubishop wrote:
At 4/28/16 09:47 AM, masterpandalord64 wrote:
Depends. If you want to be serious about art. If you want to seriously pursue animation and art, instead of a hobby. Go for it. Its a pricey investment. I use a wacom intuos 4 medium. Bought it back when it was $500. Now you could buy it used on amazon for around 150-200. Intuos pro medium is running for $300 something. You could use the cheaper bamboo or studio manga for touch ups or coloring. Whatever suits your needs. Hell you could use pencil, paper and a flatbed scanner. Personally, tablets have made my work more efficient and faster. But I had to get used to it.

(sorry if any of this gets repetitive; i make like 9 ish an hour in college so im not exactly rolling in cash, so i wanna make sure i got down pat what i need to do)

Response to Art Tablets 2016-04-28 12:46:11

I have used every major option from wacom extensively and here is my opinion:

The lowest tier Wacom tablets (Intuos, bamboo, etc) are for students that kind of like drawing and feels as if digital might be interesting, with no intent of actually studying and getting good, this is just something they used to enjoy as a kid and now in a digital format.

Wacom Intuos pro Medium is for the person that really enjoys drawing. At this point you have probably been drawing in photoshop or equivalent software with a mouse for a few weeks and wish to stop the torture. You may not want to do this for a living but at this point you feel like you want to be doing this for a long time and the investment will be worth it.

A cintiq, you're now determined to become a proffesional and is willing to spend huge amount of money on this tool because you know you will earn it back. Not for the hooby artist with a low income.

Buy the Intuos pro medium, you won't regret it. It is a bit pricier compared to the lower tier but you will not regret it, it was my first tablet when I was in your exact situation. It is worth it if you want to be drawing and is considering the option of actually getting very good. In my opinion the lower tier does no suffice.

Response to Art Tablets 2016-04-28 13:39:55 (edited 2016-04-28 13:44:18)

A Wacom Bamboo (I believe it's now called Intuos) is the cheapest one of the brand and it will last you for a very long time. Honestly, when I started off digital painting I used a Lapazz tablet (only slightly cheaper than Wacom) and it already felt like it was a very good tablet until it broke on me in mere 3 months later. Switched to Bamboo Small after that and it felt way BETTER. The pen responsiveness and tablet surface were on a completely different level, not even close even though the price was only around $10 higher.

Right now I'm using an Intuos Pro M though because I need the buttons on tablet to compensate for my shitty workspace. The tablet surfaces has the same feeling on both versions the difference was pen sensitivity, but it was barely noticeable.

TL;DR A Wacom Bamboo(regular Intuos) will do you well. Best bang for the buck you can find.

Response to Art Tablets 2016-04-28 13:52:15 (edited 2016-04-28 13:53:20)

Moving from a Bamboo up to an Intuous pro was mind blowing. The difference in the tablets ability to understand pen pressure and movements was astounding. The best way it was described online(which is what got me to make the upgrade) was a bamboo is like drawing with a fat crayon that you would get in a kindergarden class, where as an Intuous pro is much more akin to a fine tipped marker or pen.

BBS Signature