00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Test Perilous Journey 2

386 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Test Perilous Journey 2 2016-04-02 20:15:55

I'm currently working on a game called "Perilous Journey 2".
It is almost finished.
Please let me know what you think of the game.

Response to Test Perilous Journey 2 2016-04-03 00:52:01 (edited 2016-04-03 00:57:16)

At 4/2/16 08:15 PM, FIL1994 wrote: I'm currently working on a game called "Perilous Journey 2".
It is almost finished.
Please let me know what you think of the game.
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/934408

I'll be honest, the best thing about this game so far is the music. It's catchy! That being said, I think you have a better sense of game design than other beginners. I like your enemy design and your interface is nice looking enough. The starry background could be toned down a bit. it's a bit much and fewer stars might look a bit better. Throw in a distant nebula or something. More subtle color could go a long way, but that's just an aesthetic issue.

Now, some technical issues. Why does the ship reset it's position when it's hit by an enemy bullet? Fix it so that doesn't happen.

I see you also have that issue where you can't press the space bar + the left key + the up key. I asked about that in the past and never got a definitive answer about how to fix it. it just has something to do with Flash. For now, set the firing button to something other than the space bar.

This is wrong. It has something to do with keyboard ghosting, so it might be only affecting people like me. Still, a change could make your game slightly more accessible.

Good luck with future games, bud.

Response to Test Perilous Journey 2 2016-04-03 09:14:16 (edited 2016-04-03 09:14:40)

At 4/3/16 12:52 AM, Barzona wrote:
I'll be honest, the best thing about this game so far is the music. It's catchy! That being said, I think you have a better sense of game design than other beginners. I like your enemy design and your interface is nice looking enough. The starry background could be toned down a bit. it's a bit much and fewer stars might look a bit better. Throw in a distant nebula or something. More subtle color could go a long way, but that's just an aesthetic issue.

Now, some technical issues. Why does the ship reset it's position when it's hit by an enemy bullet? Fix it so that doesn't happen.

I see you also have that issue where you can't press the space bar + the left key + the up key. I asked about that in the past and never got a definitive answer about how to fix it. it just has something to do with Flash. For now, set the firing button to something other than the space bar.
This is wrong. It has something to do with keyboard ghosting, so it might be only affecting people like me. Still, a change could make your game slightly more accessible.

Good luck with future games, bud.

Thank you for replying. I agree with you about the stars. I had planned on doing that, but have not gotten around to it, yet.
I will also change the colour of the stars.

This is a sequel and when I started the project I borrowed some of the code from the previous game. Resetting the ships position made more sense then, as it was more of an arcade game.
I'll change that and make sure there is a sound effect when you get hit.

As far as keyboard ghosting, I'm assuming your quoting someone else.
You can use the arrow keys or WASD to move.
Also auto-fire is a feature, but is not recommended. That is why the game tells you your hit rate at the end of the level.
Nevertheless, I'll look into other ways of solving this issue.

Thanks for your feedback, it was extremely useful.