00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

out-of-pocket just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Require immigrants to abandon Islam

6,702 Views | 83 Replies

Interestingly, never saw this kind of opinion among politicians so far.

It's easy and rational. Think about what Islam/Muslim is? It's not a substance or a certain type of human being, but a concept, just like communism. As a result, I'm not talking about racism. Since the ban on communism has been widely accepted, but why no ban on the ignorant religion? If you are saying it's discrimination, why not say so on communism then?

Practically, each nation has their right to accept immigrants with what kind of notion or sense of value, regardless of skilled migrants or asylum seekers. Truly, we need to help those in difficulty, but how about their notions that we don't agree on? It should be the prior condition that, any immigration applicants are willing to abandon their previous religion/notion, to conform to the destination state they are moving to.

Again, it's not a ban on Muslim "people" (I do have friends from Muslim states who totally abandoned that ignorant religion), and it's not racism at all.

Again, just refer to what Marco Rubio has said: Political correctness is killing people.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 15:18:20

At 3/25/16 02:54 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: Interestingly, never saw this kind of opinion among politicians so far.

It's easy and rational. Think about what Islam/Muslim is? It's not a substance or a certain type of human being, but a concept, just like communism. As a result, I'm not talking about racism. Since the ban on communism has been widely accepted, but why no ban on the ignorant religion? If you are saying it's discrimination, why not say so on communism then?

Practically, each nation has their right to accept immigrants with what kind of notion or sense of value, regardless of skilled migrants or asylum seekers. Truly, we need to help those in difficulty, but how about their notions that we don't agree on? It should be the prior condition that, any immigration applicants are willing to abandon their previous religion/notion, to conform to the destination state they are moving to.

Again, it's not a ban on Muslim "people" (I do have friends from Muslim states who totally abandoned that ignorant religion), and it's not racism at all.

Again, just refer to what Marco Rubio has said: Political correctness is killing people.

So just assimilating to the culture of whatever country they're moving to? Yeah i'm all for it.
I don't say force them to abandon it because they're free to believe in whatever they'd like (it would be a slippery slope from banning one religion to banning all of them) but promoting conversion in some way should work. Then again i could see that turning sour thanks to the punishment for people leaving islam, that would make a lot of believers reconsider converting to anything else.

Part of me just wants to ban the whole religion but i also realize that's too tyrannical. There needs to be some sort of equilibrium between discouraging it yet accepting the few peaceful members that're out there.

How about the USA and Europe only accepting (or prioritizing) immigrants that've lost their faith or are more than willing to convert without a second thought?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

I know a good amount of Muslims throughout high school, college, law school, and currently at my work place. They are all really nice and friendly folks, and all of them are against extremism. There are certain sects on Islam that are fine toward using terrorism, but the majority of Islamic groups are strongly against extremists.

There are extremists in all religions. There are extremists in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism, Buddhism, etc. There's people in every religions across the world who would advocate killing or forcibly converting anyone who is not of their religion or belief. A big, big majority of Muslims are condemning terrorism...just that a minority of extreme Islamists are getting all the media attentions due to their bombings and shooting. You don't tend to see media coverages of Muslims protesting violence or them holding hands and consoling violence victims.

The media like to show *big explosion* *photo of some Middle Eastern guy* *sentence saying they are Muslim* *viola, all Muslims are prone to terrorism*....yeah, that's not how it works.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 15:34:05

At 3/25/16 03:18 PM, Radaketor wrote:
At 3/25/16 02:54 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: Interestingly, never saw this kind of opinion among politicians so far.

So just assimilating to the culture of whatever country they're moving to? Yeah i'm all for it.
I don't say force them to abandon it because they're free to believe in whatever they'd like (it would be a slippery slope from banning one religion to banning all of them) but promoting conversion in some way should work. Then again i could see that turning sour thanks to the punishment for people leaving islam, that would make a lot of believers reconsider converting to anything else.

Part of me just wants to ban the whole religion but i also realize that's too tyrannical. There needs to be some sort of equilibrium between discouraging it yet accepting the few peaceful members that're out there.

How about the USA and Europe only accepting (or prioritizing) immigrants that've lost their faith or are more than willing to convert without a second thought?

Yes, what I mean is to discourage it rather than a forcible way (or I'll be Muslim-like then). To ensure that the new comers know what they have to embrace before coming here, for either highly skilled professionals or asylum seekers. They can simply choose not to come here If they are not happy.

In addition, a deeper question I want to raise here is, whether or not religions like Muslim or communism deserve "religious freedom"? If you know about those exclusive believes, you'd soon know what I mean. Simply say, you can't find a Christian church in a Muslim country.

Paris and Brussels attacks may have reminds those pro-political-correctness something.
Should the political correctness, namely the tolerance on Muslim immigration be responsible for those tragedies?

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 15:50:35

At 3/25/16 03:34 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: In addition, a deeper question I want to raise here is, whether or not religions like Muslim or communism deserve "religious freedom"? If you know about those exclusive believes, you'd soon know what I mean. Simply say, you can't find a Christian church in a Muslim country.

I believe they do have a place in western society, what makes us different from most of the middle east and Africa is that we have freedom of expression, that's one if not the biggest right humans have.

If we ban them completely we'll be just as bad as them.

That said, shit like Sharia law really has no place in any civilized country.

Paris and Brussels attacks may have reminds those pro-political-correctness something.
Should the political correctness, namely the tolerance on Muslim immigration be responsible for those tragedies?

It should be held accountable for letting them come in at such a scale as they've been doing for years, by letting everyone in that says they're "refugees" they eventually let in more than a few nut-cases.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 15:59:31

At 3/25/16 03:34 PM, Yu-Liu wrote:
At 3/25/16 03:18 PM, Radaketor wrote:

Yes, what I mean is to discourage it rather than a forcible way (or I'll be Muslim-like then). To ensure that the new comers know what they have to embrace before coming here, for either highly skilled professionals or asylum seekers. They can simply choose not to come here If they are not happy.

In addition, a deeper question I want to raise here is, whether or not religions like Muslim or communism deserve "religious freedom"? If you know about those exclusive believes, you'd soon know what I mean. Simply say, you can't find a Christian church in a Muslim country.

I fully understand what you mean.

Let me clarify my point. First of all, it's not about racism but about a belief/concept. A racist judges the superiority by your skin-color/origin of place, regardless of what in your mind. I think everyone can become and quit a Muslim based on their willingness, namely there’s no race of Muslim.

I knew friends with the origin of Muslim countries as well, for instance two software engineers from Iran, who are highly educated of course. Both of them agree on my point, and they claim not be Muslim! It’s not surprising to me, as they enjoy the freedom in western society and feel relieved, their wives do not wear scarf or anything like that. That’s what kind of immigrants we actually need. Based on what I know about Islam Sutra, I personally can’t imagine a highly educated intelligent scientists/engineers would believe and persistent with it.

The popularity of Trump explains what I said (Breaking down the political correctness and rationally face the reality). In fact I don’t fully support Trump, as his idea such as deporting all Muslim American appears unfeasible. However it’s feasible to control what sort of people coming to the country, prevent Muslim believers becoming new green card holders.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 16:10:10

At 3/25/16 03:50 PM, Radaketor wrote:
At 3/25/16 03:34 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: In addition, a deeper question I want to raise here is, whether or not religions like Muslim or communism deserve "religious freedom"? If you know about those exclusive believes, you'd soon know what I mean. Simply say, you can't find a Christian church in a Muslim country.
I believe they do have a place in western society, what makes us different from most of the middle east and Africa is that we have freedom of expression, that's one if not the biggest right humans have.

If we ban them completely we'll be just as bad as them.

That's right, because of the freedom of expression in the west, they fully take advantage of that thus spread the religion in anywhere (both religious states and free world) and what's more threatening the rest of world.

I didn't say "ban" existing Muslim residents (I'm not a Trumpist I'm rational) but prevent new comers with the immigration policy.

That said, shit like Sharia law really has no place in any civilized country.

It should be held accountable for letting them come in at such a scale as they've been doing for years, by letting everyone in that says they're "refugees" they eventually let in more than a few nut-cases.

I didn't mean stop receiving any refugees from now on, as I mentioned earlier already, even for a refugee applicant, you still have to meet the religious requirement. Well it's your choice while nobody forces you to come. If the belief is really more important to you, you can choose other Muslim states or just stay in where you are, it's just up to you.

Not all Muslims are prone to terrorism. Just a very small minority of them. It's the same as Christian, Jews, Buddhists, and every other religions in the world. They all have a militant arm, some are just more under the media's eyes than others. I know plenty of Muslims, and I considers some of them as close friends for quite some time now...and all of them are against radical Islamists.

Sharia law is mentioned in the Koran, yes. But ISIL and their allies are taking what the texts are trying to say to a more extreme level. Interpreting religious texts can go multiple directions...

Believing in Islam is ok...just don't venture into the "radical" side. Once you feel that the only way for others to stop harassing you, or troubling you, is to kill them or forcibly convert them...then you got a problem.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-25 18:49:57

If you mean in the United States, there's a simple reason for that: It's illegal and un-Constitutional. The first Amendment guarantees the freedom to practice the religion of your choice. Yes, there are restrictions on that, you can't do the kinds of things ISIS does and then claim a religious protection. But if you're just saying you want the right to practice non-violent Islam....then yeah, the government can't stop you.

Communism is a political theory. Islam is a religion. The Constitution of the United States makes a very clear distinction. I believe most other Western nations do something similar. But I admit I'm not terribly up on their governmental structures.

It's not racism no. Because Islam isn't a race, it's a religion. There are people who I guess may be "ethnic Muslims" like there's "ethnic Jews", but again, it's a religion, not a race. It's still prejudice though, can't get around that.

I'm really getting tired of people bitching about "political correctness" and then not knowing what it is, and making it apply to things it doesn't. This is a Constitutional issue that defeats your idea. Political Correctness has nothing to do with it.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Yeah, this would never fly. First, as Aview mentioned, it's unconstitutional - the government must never establish laws that favor any religion over any other. From the first Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

What you're proposing, Yu-Liu, would be in direct conflict of this.

Second, Gary is absolutely right - Muslims could very easily lie. It's not that hard to do, and frankly in light of what you're proposing even regular, non-extremist Muslims would feel justified in doing so. It would guarantee that all Muslims coming into the country would have a solid reason to be pissed at America, while failing to keep most of them out of the country. This would pretty much do precisely the opposite of what you'd want - Muslims would still come in, but now they have reason to listen to groups like ISIS and radicalize on American soil.

For the record, there isn't anything wrong with Muslims immigrating to American soil. Even if you disagree with that, though, there is so much wrong with an attempted ban on them entering the country.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 01:05:13

At 3/25/16 05:03 PM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: Not all Muslims are prone to terrorism. Just a very small minority of them. It's the same as Christian, Jews, Buddhists, and every other religions in the world. They all have a militant arm, some are just more under the media's eyes than others. I know plenty of Muslims, and I considers some of them as close friends for quite some time now...and all of them are against radical Islamists.

Sharia law is mentioned in the Koran, yes. But ISIL and their allies are taking what the texts are trying to say to a more extreme level. Interpreting religious texts can go multiple directions...

Believing in Islam is ok...just don't venture into the "radical" side. Once you feel that the only way for others to stop harassing you, or troubling you, is to kill them or forcibly convert them...then you got a problem.

There's no doubt not all Muslim people are terrorists. But when you mentioned “Muslim people are condemning terrorism”, it doesn’t appear so prominent (rather they seem to be more silent) and the tension across the world appears more like “Muslim vs non-Muslim” rather than “Muslim extremists vs normal Muslim”. If that’s not the case, how could Trump get overwhelming support among GOP?

Technically there’s virtually no way to differentiate between a terror-Muslim and a non-terror-Muslim. That’s the reason we heard voice such as calling for monitor Muslim communities, not assuming every Muslim “is” a terrorist, but more suspected than non-suspected, which is actually undeniable.
From the perspective of Muslim, say, if I were a Muslim, facing the current situation, what should I do? I would firstly make a clear difference from terror-Muslim, by either reforming the religion I’m holding (just like the origin of Protestantism) or simply abandon it. What I described just shows that the notion of Islam like some other faiths, are ignorant and irrational, that’s why I don’t believe a highly educated people in science/technology would still persist with that (just like the propaganda from communists), especially for those who are willing to migrate to a western society, just like the example of two Iranian immigrants I mentioned earlier. You can blame me for “discrimination” but what I said in fact is pretty logical. After all it’s not something like “abandon scientific research”, it’s just about drop a historically existing non-scientific notion, compared with the humanity or peace, which seems more important to me as a Muslim. It’s just like a conflict in some authoritarian countries, would you like to be patriot (which is equally a faith to them, such examples can be easily found in communist states as well as WWII Japan) while killing lots of innocent people or not, if the faith goes to a higher level to you than the common sense of humanity? At the moment, if the non-Muslim people claim to quit Islam in order to isolate IS and clarify their stance, they are the eligible immigrants we need.
The difference between a political-correctness defender and pro-restrict-Muslim is that the former can assert that current policy is perfect while couldn’t give any effective idea to solve the problem, while the latter (like Trump) offends the current “standard” but does have effect, and you can see more people favor the latter. This doesn’t mean I fully agree on Trump’s ideas.
You are right there are violent groups claiming to be part of other religions, but the world is largely threatening by a group called IS (and formerly Al-Qaida) right now, that’s why we are talking about Muslim alone here.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 01:28:32

At 3/25/16 06:49 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
If you mean in the United States, there's a simple reason for that: It's illegal and un-Constitutional. The first Amendment guarantees the freedom to practice the religion of your choice. Yes, there are restrictions on that, you can't do the kinds of things ISIS does and then claim a religious protection. But if you're just saying you want the right to practice non-violent Islam....then yeah, the government can't stop you.

I know it’s unconstitutional to ban Muslim entirely at the moment. But immigration requirements are different. We have a number of criteria in the visa requirements, including qualification, health condition, skill level, etc, are they unconstitutional? You are talking about a different thing. The immigration agency has its right to choose people with certain characteristics to enter the country. As a result restriction on immigration is fundamentally different from “deporting all Muslim American”.

Communism is a political theory. Islam is a religion. The Constitution of the United States makes a very clear distinction. I believe most other Western nations do something similar. But I admit I'm not terribly up on their governmental structures.

According to “Communism is a political theory. Islam is a religion”, I have a different point of view. I reckon the principles that is likely to mobilize people to go beyond the humanity, in other way encourage violations are in essence the same, you can call it a religion, a political faith or a culture, whatever.
Let me tell you something I was born in PR China, and I fully experienced how the mind Chinese people have become totally different from Taiwanese or any other ethnical Chinese people without the rule of the communist, such case exists between North/South Korea as well. A *(culture/political/religion whatever you want to call) can effectively shape the mind of a people, just like what Islam has done so that make Muslim people so distinct. I do find a lot in common between communism and Islam though it’s out of this topic. What I want to say here is American policy maker haven’t understood that certain religion/political faith have gone beyond that of what they have perceived, which makes their definitions debatable and ambiguous.

It's not racism no. Because Islam isn't a race, it's a religion. There are people who I guess may be "ethnic Muslims" like there's "ethnic Jews", but again, it's a religion, not a race. It's still prejudice though, can't get around that.

I'm really getting tired of people bitching about "political correctness" and then not knowing what it is, and making it apply to things it doesn't. This is a Constitutional issue that defeats your idea. Political Correctness has nothing to do with it.

They just argue that we need to consider things more deeply and openly without the worry about current constitution, after all, constitution can change over time, which is not Koran.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 01:39:35

At 3/25/16 07:25 PM, Gario wrote: Yeah, this would never fly. First, as Aview mentioned, it's unconstitutional - the government must never establish laws that favor any religion over any other. From the first Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

What you're proposing, Yu-Liu, would be in direct conflict of this.

I’ve answered the “constitutional” question in my previous post.

Second, Gary is absolutely right - Muslims could very easily lie. It's not that hard to do, and frankly in light of what you're proposing even regular, non-extremist Muslims would feel justified in doing so. It would guarantee that all Muslims coming into the country would have a solid reason to be pissed at America, while failing to keep most of them out of the country. This would pretty much do precisely the opposite of what you'd want - Muslims would still come in, but now they have reason to listen to groups like ISIS and radicalize on American soil.

For the record, there isn't anything wrong with Muslims immigrating to American soil. Even if you disagree with that, though, there is so much wrong with an attempted ban on them entering the country.

It’s true that lie would be a possible problem in terms of the religious check. Probably a physiological check would be necessary.
I believe this kind of physiological check is actually needed for immigrants from Muslim/Communist states. Along with Muslim migrants, as I know there are a large number of Chinese migrants (even those with citizenship) who actually support the communist regime in their heart and shows hostile to western governments. I don’t know why those are tolerant as those people are taking advantage of the freedom in the west. Look at Japan’s immigration policy, they emphasize the loyalty to Japan before accepting a new migrant, I can’t say it’s totally successful, but Japan is not facing the terror-crisis while the west is.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 01:51:49

At 3/25/16 08:10 PM, lapis wrote: It depends on how it is implemented. As @X-Gary-Gigax-X says, someone could just lie and be done with it, particularly because lying to preserve one's religion is fully permitted in Islam. But if there's also societal pressure to convert, then maybe. Forced conversions, in the long term, largely did work in the regions of Europe that were reconquered from Islam, like Andalusia and Sicily. If Islam had been permitted to continue to exist in those regions, then today those regions would probably either host independent mafia states like Albania or would be embroiled in vicious uprisings with bombings and slaughter and the like to make the Basque and Corsican independence movements look docile (think Chechnya/Beslan or the wars in former Yugoslavia).

Edit: I should probably make this explicit, but I'm only half-joking.

Well, if Muslim were actually banned in public, it would remain in gangsters or mafia groups alone, then we wouldn’t need to discuss if it deserves a protection here anymore.

Here I just want to talk about communist (or something like that) again. Communist used to be banned and thought a mafia related group in either China or other states until early 20th century. Since the Chinese Communist defeated then Chinese government (which rules Taiwan today), communist has become a public and respectful religion/faith (whatever you want to call it).

I thought this question for years, and eventually I concluded the clear definition is that any religion/faith that inspire violence based patriotism while rejecting peace/democracy/freedom of speech/human rights are terrorism. The only thing changes is its scale, from regional terrorism (pre-1949 Chinese communist, Al-Qaida) to state level terrorism (current China/North Korea/IS).

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 09:14:31

BRILLIANT! This should have been done ages ago! Damn, why didn't anyone think of this?

I speak the truth no matter how much cruel it may sound.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 13:20:58

Perhaps it is us who are the real Muslims...

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 14:48:32

At 3/26/16 09:27 AM, zornuzkull wrote: Islam needs to be reformed from the ground up...

My thought is, any highly educated people from Muslim countries who favor peace/justice/science and live in western countries should abandon that religion immediately, just like any other ignorant cultures (these words would offend more political correctness guardians), can't understand why not.

It's not about west and east, it's about modern and ancient/obsolete.

It's again all about the immigration policy. What proportion of Muslim immigrants are really highly educated? Even Trump acknowledged that US needs highly skilled immigrants. We must shutdown the door for ineligible migrants first, before talking about religions.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 14:49:48

At 3/26/16 01:20 PM, Feoric wrote: Perhaps it is us who are the real Muslims...

haven't got your point.

When the US gov banned communism, you would say "we are real communists"?

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 14:51:31

At 3/26/16 09:14 AM, Obsix wrote: BRILLIANT! This should have been done ages ago! Damn, why didn't anyone think of this?

probably because no body wanted to offend political correctness.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 16:26:05

At 3/26/16 01:28 AM, Yu-Liu wrote: I know it’s unconstitutional to ban Muslim entirely at the moment. But immigration requirements are different. We have a number of criteria in the visa requirements, including qualification, health condition, skill level, etc, are they unconstitutional?

No, there's nothing in the Constitution that prohibits the Immigration agency from disqualifying someone for citizenship based on those criteria. But there is a CLEAR prohibition which would stop them from doing so based on religion. NO GOVERNMENT AGENCY, can make laws prohibiting ANY religion. This isn't a hard one to get my friend. You're argument violates the first amendment, there's no wiggling around it.

According to “Communism is a political theory. Islam is a religion”, I have a different point of view.

Ok, you can do that. But, and I really do mean this as nicely and respectfully as I can: You're wrong. You're clearly, easily, legally, on the face of it wrong. Islam and Communism cannot equate, because their different things. Yes, religion can bleed into politics, but as I said, in the end Islam is at it's base a religion....that cannot be prohibited. Communism at it's base is a political theory and way of governing, you can ban that....though I don't think we should, I don't think you ban ideas you think are bad, I think you drag them into the light, debate them, point out their flaws, and beat them that way.

Let me tell you something I was born in PR China,

I find what you're saying interesting, and you're right that the Communist regime in China has done an excellent job of melding the existing Chinese culture and spirituality pre-Communism into the Communist regime. But that's not what we're discussing here. You're example doesn't work within the idea of a ban on a particular religion.

They just argue that we need to consider things more deeply and openly without the worry about current constitution, after all, constitution can change over time, which is not Koran.

If you start throwing out parts of the Constitution, then you can easily throw out the whole thing, chuck the system, form a tyranny and we're fucked. There's a SYSTEM for amending the Constitution and it's incredibly difficult to do for a reason. Because the Founders didn't want reactionary, prejudiced folks like yourself changing important parts of it and ultimately destroying the society they were trying to create.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 17:14:39

At 3/26/16 04:26 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 3/26/16 01:28 AM, Yu-Liu wrote: I know it’s unconstitutional to ban Muslim entirely at the moment. But immigration requirements are different. We have a number of criteria in the visa requirements, including qualification, health condition, skill level, etc, are they unconstitutional?
No, there's nothing in the Constitution that prohibits the Immigration agency from disqualifying someone for citizenship based on those criteria. But there is a CLEAR prohibition which would stop them from doing so based on religion. NO GOVERNMENT AGENCY, can make laws prohibiting ANY religion. This isn't a hard one to get my friend. You're argument violates the first amendment, there's no wiggling around it.

In your words, according to the constitution, the immigration agency can set requirements on age, skill level, qualification, but not on religion? Frankly I didn’t know that. That is to say Trump’s idea of deporting Muslim American is completely unconstitutional, while the majority of GOP voters still support him?

According to “Communism is a political theory. Islam is a religion”, I have a different point of view.
Ok, you can do that. But, and I really do mean this as nicely and respectfully as I can: You're wrong. You're clearly, easily, legally, on the face of it wrong. Islam and Communism cannot equate, because their different things. Yes, religion can bleed into politics, but as I said, in the end Islam is at it's base a religion....that cannot be prohibited. Communism at it's base is a political theory and way of governing, you can ban that....though I don't think we should, I don't think you ban ideas you think are bad, I think you drag them into the light, debate them, point out their flaws, and beat them that way.

Let me tell you something I was born in PR China,
I find what you're saying interesting, and you're right that the Communist regime in China has done an excellent job of melding the existing Chinese culture and spirituality pre-Communism into the Communist regime. But that's not what we're discussing here. You're example doesn't work within the idea of a ban on a particular religion.

Since you are not happy with my theory about “religion”, I’d like to analyze more. I’m not the only people asserting that communism is a religion, in fact the universal definition of religion itself remains ambiguous and controversial. The similarities between communism (used in China/North Korea) and Islam (used in ISIS) are as follows:
*Extreme dictatorship
*They are exclusive religions thus suppress all the other religious groups (since communist doesn’t identify itself a religion, they suppress “all religions”);
*They reject democratic and free of speech.
*They encourage violence-based patriotism against the western world
*They are sometime racists, for instance, in China we were taught “don’t forget your yellow face” as an official song. Muslims like to show that they are distinct from “westerners” too.
*They like to build up an isolated community for their citizens.
*It effectively impacted the culture of people, making them distinctive from people in the same or similar ethnic group but not under that rule.
Though you don’t think the communism is a religion right now, because it hasn’t existed long enough, which is just like the time when Islam just came to a country after which lasted for centuries and became part of their traditional culture. If you still consider the communism is just equivalent to a political theory in the west, and the communist party is like a political party, I would politely suggest you reading more about them. From my point of view, the communism is actually a powerful religion like IS’s Islam, and the communist party is actually a dynasty.

If you start throwing out parts of the Constitution, then you can easily throw out the whole thing, chuck the system, form a tyranny and we're fucked. There's a SYSTEM for amending the Constitution and it's incredibly difficult to do for a reason. Because the Founders didn't want reactionary, prejudiced folks like yourself changing important parts of it and ultimately destroying the society they were trying to create.

What I meant is to add something like Islam/communism to the exception list, rather than change the constitution. I wonder if any religion needs to be protected equally?

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 18:30:50

At 3/26/16 05:14 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: In your words, according to the constitution, the immigration agency can set requirements on age, skill level, qualification, but not on religion? Frankly I didn’t know that. That is to say Trump’s idea of deporting Muslim American is completely unconstitutional, while the majority of GOP voters still support him?

Yes, if Trump is basing it simply on them being Muslim, not that there's any ties to criminal organizations etc....and I'm taking him at his word that it's just the religion....yeah, it can't be done. It's illegal and it's Un-Constitutional. Trump lies almost constantly, and his voters tend to low information, racist, and easy to stir up. He's a guy that says "I have a solution!" and an angry mob flocks to him solely based on his saying that. Not looking at whether or not he can do it. As far as the other stuff....my understanding is they can, they usually don't though since our border policy is more about keeping out criminals. I had to laugh at Marco Rubio railing against unskilled workers while admitting that's what his parents were. Ok Marco, so we should keep them out....oh but I should elect you President and never let anyone else have that chance? Please.

Since you are not happy with my theory about “religion”, I’d like to analyze more. I’m not the only people asserting that communism is a religion, in fact the universal definition of religion itself remains ambiguous and controversial. The similarities between communism (used in China/North Korea) and Islam (used in ISIS) are as follows:
*Extreme dictatorship

Is not a tenant of the Islamic faith that I've ever found. That also, is the mode that pretty much every theocracy uses. The Catholic Church is both a religious and political institution that insists it's head, The Pope is infallible and the supreme authority and speaks for the deity.

*They are exclusive religions thus suppress all the other religious groups (since communist doesn’t identify itself a religion, they suppress “all religions”);

Now, if I let you get away with this reframe, it makes me have to accept communism is a religion (it isn't) on the face of it. None of your examples support your theory. Theocracies and dictatorships have always had modes of government in common, that does not mean they can be called the same thing. Someone can be religious without being theocratic, but being a Communist means you support the idea of at least a limited duration dictatorship from everything I've read. So again, the two don't go as hand in hand as you want us to believe.

Though you don’t think the communism is a religion right now, because it hasn’t existed long enough, which is just like the time when Islam just came to a country after which lasted for centuries and became part of their traditional culture. If you still consider the communism is just equivalent to a political theory in the west, and the communist party is like a political party, I would politely suggest you reading more about them. From my point of view, the communism is actually a powerful religion like IS’s Islam, and the communist party is actually a dynasty.

It is like a political party yes....because it acts like a political party and tries to get elected!!! It works within the government as it exists. Also, again, one can be religious, but a political. One cannot be a communist and hold no political convictions. I'm really starting to see this is going to be another of those debates where I'm trying to explain something to somebody, get at least some basic common ground established, but I'm just going to be told I'm wrong when I'm not because we can't even agree on simple definitions.

What I meant is to add something like Islam/communism to the exception list, rather than change the constitution. I wonder if any religion needs to be protected equally?

YES!!!! Thats how the First Amendment works!!!! There's no "exception list"!!!! It's all or nothing. If you make an "exception list" guess what you just did? You just changed the First Amendment, which means you changed the Constitution!!! FUCK!!! Again, you do not even know how to define the shit you're arguing for because when I throw it back to you you see it's not so good so you try to weasel into it being less damaging. Doesn't work that way.

If you want to require Immigrants coming to the US to abandon Islam, you need to change the First Amendment to the Constitution, you have to. There's no if's no and's no but's, it's gotta be done because the First Amendment defeats your plan from the start. It does not tolerate ANY religious discrimination whatsoever. Unless you are doing some shit like ritual sacrifice, murder, things of that nature. You don't get religious exemption from that. But from just reading and believing a holy book? Or building and going to a religious building for service? Benign things like that? 100% protected. It's a cornerstone of the American society.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 21:47:08

At 3/26/16 02:49 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: When the US gov banned communism, you would say "we are real communists"?

Now you're on to something.

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 23:15:34

At 3/26/16 07:49 PM, TylerFromTexas wrote: @aviewaskewed hit the nail on the head, and I can't possibly add anything new to this ridiculous idea, but I'm going to try anyway (though I bet it's a repeat of what's already said).

Banning Muslims from entering this country (if it WERE to pass somehow) will be completely dysfunctional. You have people from all different backgrounds entering this country everyday. As mentioned countless times, those who want to live in the land of the free while maintaining their Muslim faith, can lie and say they're Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, etc. Once they managed to get their citizenship, they'll just turn around and claim that "Oh, I just converted to Muslim."

It simply can't work, unless we just ban the Muslim faith entirely, but as @aviewaskewed argued, that requires changing the Constitution. If we have to go as far as to ban a particular religion out of fear, then we're dooming ourselves from potential censorship of what we can and cannot say, preach and what we cannot preach, and have to watch our backs from literal thought police even more extreme than what we have now.

Remember: Not all Muslims are terrorists. Those who are terrorists are a small, loud, minority that will grab peoples attention from all over. Don't let those few loud psychopaths taint an ideology as a whole.

The difficulty is, as I mentioned previously, no way to differentiate the terror-Muslim and normal-Muslim, but all the terrorists we've found are Muslims. Have you got a more effective idea other than banning Muslims?

sounds more feasible to ban any low skilled workers & deport any illegal migrants & stop receiving any refugees, so that workaround the "constitutional" issue. It's OK this time?

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 23:56:36

At 3/26/16 06:30 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 3/26/16 05:14 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: In your words, according to the constitution, the immigration agency can set requirements on age, skill level, qualification, but not on religion? Frankly I didn’t know that. That is to say Trump’s idea of deporting Muslim American is completely unconstitutional, while the majority of GOP voters still support him?
Yes, if Trump is basing it simply on them being Muslim, not that there's any ties to criminal organizations etc....and I'm taking him at his word that it's just the religion....yeah, it can't be done. It's illegal and it's Un-Constitutional. Trump lies almost constantly, and his voters tend to low information, racist, and easy to stir up. He's a guy that says "I have a solution!" and an angry mob flocks to him solely based on his saying that. Not looking at whether or not he can do it. As far as the other stuff....my understanding is they can, they usually don't though since our border policy is more about keeping out criminals. I had to laugh at Marco Rubio railing against unskilled workers while admitting that's what his parents were. Ok Marco, so we should keep them out....oh but I should elect you President and never let anyone else have that chance? Please.

Agree on the points about Trump, but for Rubio's case, I think he's right to have his own stance. If it were a mistake of then-government to accept unskilled worker, shouldn't any descendant of those migrant as an American citizen, say something to correct the problem? Immigration policies change over time. It sounds like Marco Rubio has no right to call for the cut on immigration because his parents used to be?

*Extreme dictatorship
Is not a tenant of the Islamic faith that I've ever found. That also, is the mode that pretty much every theocracy uses. The Catholic Church is both a religious and political institution that insists it's head, The Pope is infallible and the supreme authority and speaks for the deity.

Now, if I let you get away with this reframe, it makes me have to accept communism is a religion (it isn't) on the face of it. None of your examples support your theory. Theocracies and dictatorships have always had modes of government in common, that does not mean they can be called the same thing. Someone can be religious without being theocratic, but being a Communist means you support the idea of at least a limited duration dictatorship from everything I've read. So again, the two don't go as hand in hand as you want us to believe.

It is like a political party yes....because it acts like a political party and tries to get elected!!! It works within the government as it exists. Also, again, one can be religious, but a political. One cannot be a communist and hold no political convictions. I'm really starting to see this is going to be another of those debates where I'm trying to explain something to somebody, get at least some basic common ground established, but I'm just going to be told I'm wrong when I'm not because we can't even agree on simple definitions.

Well, I said already the definition of religion itself is controversial. I can tell you that for instance whether or not Buddhism is considered a conventional “religion” is even debatable. What I want to say is, a “thing” either Communist or IS/Taliban has effectively used to solidify their authoritarian rule. You tend to emphasize the political aspect of communism, which is nothing surprised. Because most religions are closely related to politics throughout human’s history. I don’t think there’s a clear border between a religious group and a political group, except the original Buddhism, which was actually a pure personal philosophy, which is why many scholars argues that it doesn’t seem a “religion”. Especially when it comes to China’s history, Chinese communists appears much in come with a number of religion-based militant rebellion in history. In other words, the so-called “Communist Party” is no more than a modern term to comply with the rest of the world. You mentioned already, the key point of modern political party is “election”, and not surprisingly, there’s no genuine election in communist rule, it runs exactly the same as any dynasty in ancient time. You may understand that when you watch the footage how Chinese peasants prayed the statue of Mao Zedong, no difference from that of an empire. Unfortunately the shell of that “republic” and “party” have successfully made you believe it actually works what it claims to be. So I want to again, China along with North Korea today is still a religiously ruled kingdom, no difference from what it used to be hundreds of years ago. In fact, it’s much easier to demonstrate this point to a Chinese person, since they are used to be ruled like that, and likewise I can easily understand how IS/Al-Qaida succeeded based on the similar experience I have.

My understanding is any violence based dictatorships are in essence the same sort of thing, no matter it claims to be a “party” or a “holy group”.

YES!!!! Thats how the First Amendment works!!!! There's no "exception list"!!!! It's all or nothing. If you make an "exception list" guess what you just did? You just changed the First Amendment, which means you changed the Constitution!!! FUCK!!! Again, you do not even know how to define the shit you're arguing for because when I throw it back to you you see it's not so good so you try to weasel into it being less damaging. Doesn't work that way.

If you want to require Immigrants coming to the US to abandon Islam, you need to change the First Amendment to the Constitution, you have to. There's no if's no and's no but's, it's gotta be done because the First Amendment defeats your plan from the start. It does not tolerate ANY religious discrimination whatsoever. Unless you are doing some shit like ritual sacrifice, murder, things of that nature. You don't get religious exemption from that. But from just reading and believing a holy book? Or building and going to a religious building for service? Benign things like that? 100% protected. It's a cornerstone of the American society.

Ultimately my actual question is how should we deal with an anti-humanity religion, should we equally protect it?

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-26 23:58:07

At 3/26/16 09:47 PM, Feoric wrote:
At 3/26/16 02:49 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: When the US gov banned communism, you would say "we are real communists"?
Now you're on to something.

Interestingly, you mean the US Gov at the time was communist.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-27 09:58:35

While we're at it, we should consider Republicans a terrorist organization because states with the most Republicans have the most gun deaths.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-27 10:34:09

I don't even get why there's any argument about this. Freedom of religion is a constitutional right, period.

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-27 16:29:49

At 3/26/16 11:56 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: It sounds like Marco Rubio has no right to call for the cut on immigration because his parents used to be?

He certainly has the right to his opinions. I don't dispute that, if I want my rights in that area protected I have to respect the rights of people to do the same....even if I think what they're saying is demonstrably stupid. The issue I take with Rubio's position is he's saying "no un-skilled workers, but elect me President, a successful son of unskilled workers". He's actually the defeat of his own argument because even if the ORIGINAL immigrants are unskilled, there's no telling what they're children could grow up to be with the right opportunities. That also goes back to something (I think) I said elsewhere about bad ideas: We shouldn't ban bad ideas, we should talk about them, drag them into the light....debate them, and kill them off by pointing out how bad they are. Bad ideas aren't always the result of bad people, usually they're the result of good people who just aren't super informed.

Well, I said already the definition of religion itself is controversial.

Is it though? Bet I could look it up right now and get a pretty clear definition, that's usually how words work....Oh look, I actually found 7 definitions for the word on dictionary.com. Give it a try yourself.

I can tell you that for instance whether or not Buddhism is considered a conventional “religion” is even debatable.

Not as far as the Constitution is concerned. It's considered a religion, therefore it is First Amendment protected. That's how the law and interpreting it works, we have to rigidly decide what a thing is or is not so we can determine whether or not it is or isn't protected or prohibited.

What I want to say is, a “thing” either Communist or IS/Taliban has effectively used to solidify their authoritarian rule.

I understand that the Taliban and ISIS have based their authority on an interpretation of the Islamic faith, yes. It is an interpretation that is not as unpopular and minority as a lot of Westerners wish to believe, that is also true. But they are not the ENTIRETY of the faith. One does not have to be affiliated with the Taliban, ISIS, Al Qaieda, or groups like them to be a Muslim and a follower of Muhammed and Islam. You want to punish EVERYONE because of the actions of these pricks. That's completely un-American and for me un-Civilized.

You tend to emphasize the political aspect of communism, which is nothing surprised.

Because that's what it is. That's what it's meant to do and be. It's meant to be a governmental structure that would run a society of people. That is what Marx intended it to do.

Because most religions are closely related to politics throughout human’s history.

That is true, but in the West theocracies or religion in government has gone away, in places like the US it has actually been put into a "Chinese Wall" sort of situation trying to separate them. In the East this has been less true.

I don’t think there’s a clear border between a religious group and a political group, except the original Buddhism, which was actually a pure personal philosophy, which is why many scholars argues that it doesn’t seem a “religion”.

The Buddha however took on followers, he taught his philosophy in the same way Jesus did, because he believed this would be of benefit to the world. There is also the fact that as the Buddha, Siddhartha Guatauma (spelling?) told his followers that he would forsake Nirvana and stay on the path of reincarnation to help others attain it. So please, show me some scholars that will ignore all that evidence I just put out there to try and say Buddhism is not a religion. Because this feels like you're just grabbing at a sketchy "argument from authority" type thing with nothing behind it other then "just trust me that this is the case".

Especially when it comes to China’s history.....

You have a lot of good information here, very factual, and it's a compelling argument....except you miss a couple of key pieces. You assert that "communism" is a political religion for China and NK. That isn't the case. Communism is the governmental mechanism, in China this was married into already existing spiritual concepts, and into the fact that as you pointed out the most "natural" state for China politically throughout it's history was that of a dynastic monarchy. Democracy was a rather young experiment for them and Shek fucked it up something royal with a lot of help from the US. So when Communism, which even in it's purest forms advocates an absolute ruler....well, that wasn't a real culture shock for folks already used to a monarchy. Communism however promotes atheism, the lack of religion, in it's more pure aspects. But China doesn't use it that way as I said, the political of Communism was welded into the fabric of the existing spiritual, creating a unique system that is wholly Chinese, and works for them, but I don't think you could export it and have it take root. NK is different....in part because they don't claim to be Communist....but it's functioning is more like a monarchy. Power is passed down within the Kim family, and the state religion reveres Kim Il Sung as a figure close to God, or Jesus. The leader is the state religion. You are taking widely different systems and saying "well, because people CALL them Communist....their Communist and Communism is the same no matter what, no matter where". If that were true, your argument would hold and I'd have no choice but to agree with you. But it's not, so it doesn't, so I don't.

My understanding is any violence based dictatorships are in essence the same sort of thing, no matter it claims to be a “party” or a “holy group”.

You're understanding is flawed. Two different things can have overlap without being the same thing.

Ultimately my actual question is how should we deal with an anti-humanity religion, should we equally protect it?

Like Nihilism? Islam isn't Nihilistic in principal. Like all Abrahamic religions it doesn't place a high value on people outside the tribe, allowing in fact for those within the tribe to kill those outside of it and not suffer consequences for it. But this does not mean the religion is "anti-humanity" as you describe. There are moderate Muslim's all over this country contributing at all levels of society. I really wish more of them would get together and work to help stamp out the extremists and bring that same moderate and reasonable understanding to those who may be more sympathetic to a fundamentalist bent. You also ignore the soil in which the religion grew, and continues to flourish. The situation on the ground there is much different then the situation here. Islamaphobes like yourself have the mistaken impression if we just get rid of Islam, it'll solve all of the problems, it really won't.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Require immigrants to abandon Islam 2016-03-27 16:32:12

At 3/26/16 11:15 PM, Yu-Liu wrote: The difficulty is, as I mentioned previously, no way to differentiate the terror-Muslim and normal-Muslim, but all the terrorists we've found are Muslims. Have you got a more effective idea other than banning Muslims?

That is so demonstrably false and proves you aren't qualified to discuss this subject in the least. Type "terrorism" into google and watch how many non-Muslim instances come up. Islamic Terrorism is a huge and thorny problem, but it is by no means the only kind of terrorism there is. You need to get more informed on this stuff double quick.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature