00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackboyy123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for feedback on gameplay...

450 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've been working on this game that blends infinite jumping with some RPG elements,
and got to the point where I'd like to get some outside feedback and playtesting.

Personally, I like how the game is turning out so far, and think it might be worth finishing up
and publishing it here (ideally collaborating with some artist to make the art not terrible).

I'm especially looking for feedback on:
-Did you find the game fun to play?
-What do you find to be the best and worst parts of it?
-What are some things you'd change/features you'd add?
Anything else would be helpful as well.

Some notes:
-You can currently unlock only 2 out of the 4 spells.
-After 900 ft. the environment doesn't change anymore (you can't actually win the game yet).
-Art/U.I. is placeholder quality...

Here's the link:

Spell Jump

Thanks to anybody trying it out and posting a review!

Response to Looking for feedback on gameplay... 2016-03-05 17:19:58

At 3/4/16 12:58 PM, SandshoreDev wrote: -What are some things you'd change/features you'd add?

I really like the simplicity of this game. I could see it being really fun when it is done. That said, it currently takes way too long to get the first spell at level 5. I was bored long before it and would have quit before I got there if I wasn't trying to help you out. Either increase the XP gained after each attempt or decrease the amount of XP needed to level up (or both). Everyone loves abilities you unlock but if it takes forever to get a taste of them they will leave your game early. Give them that satisfaction of unlocking one very early one and they will be more likely to stick around and unlock the rest.

I also didn't like that it took so many attacks with the spell I unlocked to destroy a spiked ball. It's kind of pointless that way as things stand now as it eats up a ton of your mana which is needed to spawn the platforms to actually progress through the game.

Other than these things it was a fun game. I think you just need to find a way to reward the player often to keep them engaged; otherwise, they will probably attempt the climb a few times and quit. Whether you do this by adding more spells, store/currency system, stat bonuses (like increase mana pool, more bounce, less air friction, etc.), or whatnot while leveling up is up to you.

Response to Looking for feedback on gameplay... 2016-03-06 10:41:14

At 3/5/16 05:19 PM, HeroPower wrote:
At 3/4/16 12:58 PM, SandshoreDev wrote: -What are some things you'd change/features you'd add?
I really like the simplicity of this game. I could see it being really fun when it is done. That said, it currently takes way too long to get the first spell at level 5. I was bored long before it and would have quit before I got there if I wasn't trying to help you out. Either increase the XP gained after each attempt or decrease the amount of XP needed to level up (or both). Everyone loves abilities you unlock but if it takes forever to get a taste of them they will leave your game early. Give them that satisfaction of unlocking one very early one and they will be more likely to stick around and unlock the rest.

I also didn't like that it took so many attacks with the spell I unlocked to destroy a spiked ball. It's kind of pointless that way as things stand now as it eats up a ton of your mana which is needed to spawn the platforms to actually progress through the game.

Other than these things it was a fun game. I think you just need to find a way to reward the player often to keep them engaged; otherwise, they will probably attempt the climb a few times and quit. Whether you do this by adding more spells, store/currency system, stat bonuses (like increase mana pool, more bounce, less air friction, etc.), or whatnot while leveling up is up to you.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you liked the main idea. I'll be looking into the balancing, and how to keep the player engaged (gonna look up a few articles on that...). Now I see how 5 levels at this rate before any reward is too much of a grind (thanks for undertaking it...), and 7 ice bolts too much MP/clicking to destroy a spiked ball. Testing the game all the time myself I get kinda used to all that clunky stuff and lose perspective on it.

Response to Looking for feedback on gameplay... 2016-03-06 21:34:51

At 3/6/16 10:41 AM, SandshoreDev wrote: Testing the game all the time myself I get kinda used to all that clunky stuff and lose perspective on it.

I totally know how that goes, but that is why you have people test it like you did :) Wouldn't mind testing it for you again if you ever need the help ^_^