00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tachi37 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

X-Sheet? 2016-03-03 17:19:32

So I've just learned, this confusing fuck, exists from, animators survival kit.
How many of you actually use this? Or is it more of a trad animation thing?

Response to X-Sheet? 2016-03-03 18:40:52

At 3/3/16 05:19 PM, doinurmop1234 wrote: So I've just learned, this confusing fuck, exists from, animators survival kit.
How many of you actually use this? Or is it more of a trad animation thing?

Yeah, that's more of a traditional animation method. I'm guessing before when animators have flash, the X-sheet is more of a check-list of your frames, and working out your timing, lip-syncing, etc.

So I would ignore it because it's not 100% (though I know one digital animator that uses it for some reason . . . )

Response to X-Sheet? 2016-03-04 08:45:53

At 3/3/16 06:40 PM, VLanimate wrote: Yeah, that's more of a traditional animation method. I'm guessing before when animators have flash, the X-sheet is more of a check-list of your frames, and working out your timing, lip-syncing, etc.
So I would ignore it because it's not 100% (though I know one digital animator that uses it for some reason . . . )

Good to hear, don't wanna deal with that

Response to X-Sheet? 2016-03-04 13:39:37 (edited 2016-03-04 13:41:21)

Yeah X-Sheets are for when you are doing key animation and already know exactly how many inbetweens and layers a scene is going to take, and you manually record that information for the assistant animators or the overseas animation team. There's no real point to them though if it's just you working on a scene by yourself.

I saw a Titmouse panel once where Chris P was like "FUCK X-SHEETS!", so take from that what you will.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to X-Sheet? 2016-03-04 16:51:47

I think professional storyboard artists and animators use x-sheets/dope sheets during anime production in Japan and Korea.

I see them showing it on storyboards and art books from Evangelion 2.0, Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig, and the Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood movie. It's an efficient process to help break down/sync action and dialogue, especially when there's more than one person making the animation.

Speaking of which, I should learn how to use it too.