00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC

14,450 Views | 74 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 2/25/16 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: We recently made some changes to the judgment process for new games and animation, lowering the vote thresholds required to pass judgment.

It turns out there was a bug and everything was finishing judgment at the first checkpoint, where you need a really low score to be blammed. This means lots of content was exiting judgment rather than going on to the next checkpoints, where you can be blammed with higher scores.

This is why the judgment process continued to move too quickly even after we re-adjusted the top level requirements; everything was completing judgment at 50 votes.

The bug has been fixed and the checkpoints are now 50, 70 and 90 votes. If at 90 votes a submission has a score below 1.75, it will be blammed (deleted).

That makes so much sense. And thank you. There were times where I'd go to the portal and there'd be like 4 submissions UJ. I'd vote on em. Then come back like a half hour later and I'd miss voting on like 10 submissions that were UJ. Then almost immediately after they "passed" half of em would end up with very very low scores meaning they probably definitely should have been blammed. Or just barely made it but nowhere near THAT fast.

Also I just donated $20. I don't have a whole lotta money but I just got paid today and wanted to donate something.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 12:01:23

At 2/26/16 10:23 AM, YomToxic wrote: @TomFulp

Will tax issues be a problem for supporter payments? Or is that exclusively for earnings?

No tax issues with purchasing a supporter upgrade.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 13:02:22

those are good updates, mr tom! :)

its nice to see the ''under judgement'' department fixed, because movies/games passed judgement too quickly, and i was falling behind on my daily duty of ''judging movies/games''.

also, its good to see those IRS changes, its interesting.

oh, and i liked the info about the supporters.
lets keep NG strong!

keep up the good work, tom, and thanks for keeping everything in order!
(also thanks to the staff/other people of NG as well)

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 13:05:04

At 2/26/16 08:50 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If we moved this way, I'd actually be tempted to require supporter status to participate... This would encourage more people to become supporters (increasing the pot) but would also drastically reduce abuse, since content creators wouldn't be competing with every sweatshop trying to drain a buck out of the system. In THIS situation, it would be interesting if your earnings could also go to renew your supporter status - so you might pay $3 to get started (or use existing earnings from the old system) but if your content does well, it covers your subscription from that point forward and feeds back into the system. This does mean that less successful artists may just get the supporter perks and not earn a check but they will also be supporting an ecosystem that would theoretically pay better for the most deserving artists on the site, and the goal would be to reach their level.

I'm really not a fan of this idea, it basically means that in order to make ad revenue, everybody participating would have to invest money for the chance to get anything out of it. Who would do this? The only people who come here are the starving artist types, not trust fund babies. What you're describing is more akin to a Poker game than earning money. Why would I bother investing money to participate in this program unless I had some sort of guarantee I would get paid out of it? If anything, this would motivate people to sign up with CPMStar at other places like Funny-games.biz, use Patreon exclusively, wait until they have enough content to flood the portal like lottery tickets or best of all, attempt to game the system.

if your content does well, it covers your subscription from that point forward and feeds back into the system.

If my content does well, I should get something out of it, not merely spared from some sort of penalty.

This does mean that less successful artists may just get the supporter perks and not earn a check but they will also be supporting an ecosystem that would theoretically pay better for the most deserving artists on the site, and the goal would be to reach their level.

In other words, everybody outside of the top elite would get consistently fucked for not being the top dog.

content creators wouldn't be competing with every sweatshop trying to drain a buck out of the system.

No, the real content creators would get fucked out their hard earned pay because those shovelwear developers depend on quantity to make their money, therefore, they would be among the more successful people purely by means of attrition. It wouldn't matter if you only got 200 views for a game you just shat out because you would have dozens of those games earning the same amount regularly.

they will also be supporting an ecosystem that would theoretically pay better for the most deserving artists on the site, and the goal would be to reach their level.

How exactly are we going to define "deserving" between thousands of users? How are we going to quantify quality throughout the hundreds of submissions that come in daily? Not only does this sound like a herculean task but what's the percentage spread? Do 75% of all participants just get screwed? Is it gonna be a limit of twelve eligible participants like on the front page? Are we gonna use the monthly votes? Is it spread across the 50 best submissions of all time?

and the goal would be to reach their level.

I can totally see a group of people at this "level" banding together to secure their status & keep out the plebeian masses from reaching that level, like a blam crew.

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 14:07:53

At 2/26/16 01:05 PM, Psychopath wrote: No, the real content creators would get fucked out their hard earned pay because those shovelwear developers depend on quantity to make their money, therefore, they would be among the more successful people purely by means of attrition. It wouldn't matter if you only got 200 views for a game you just shat out because you would have dozens of those games earning the same amount regularly.

The big point here is that shovelware companies get their accounts shut down, so if they wanted to cheat the system they would have to pay for every attempt and still get shut down.

The other points are more valid, since it sucks to keep people out if they can't afford supporter access. It's unlikely we would even try this idea due to your sort of response, however the reality is that the majority of people will never hit the minimum payment threshold, there will be frequent of attempts of abuse, and having a $3 barrier of entry would realistically result in larger and more frequent payouts for serious content creators. Not to mention in the case of games you could still run an in-game ad and publish your game for free, making revenue solely from in-game ads - which wouldn't be based on this system.

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 14:30:08

Should of sold when the price was high.

At 2/26/16 02:30 PM, Tacticat wrote: That's an elder and wise wizard cat. He/she's so pretty.

Most vicious feral kitten I ever befriended. For an outside cat, she's extremely affectionate and trusting.
Her ear (and likely her reproductive organs) got clipped while I was away at Pico Day last year... no clue who did it, but I'm quite grateful they did.

At 2/26/16 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: No tax issues with purchasing a supporter upgrade.

Just wish you didn't have to have to pay a town business tax, when your business doesn't impact any of their infrastructure. Ever consider going to town hall and asking the Mayor for an exemption, or reassessment (and hope they don't up the property tax for the nonce)? Hope I got my facts straight and I'm not being too forward.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 15:23:12

At 2/26/16 02:53 PM, VicariousE wrote: Just wish you didn't have to have to pay a town business tax, when your business doesn't impact any of their infrastructure. Ever consider going to town hall and asking the Mayor for an exemption, or reassessment (and hope they don't up the property tax for the nonce)? Hope I got my facts straight and I'm not being too forward.

Doubt I can get it lifted... Business privilege taxes exist in the neighboring towns too, although they're lower... Still gotta research if there are any nearby towns with none.

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 15:50:27

At 2/26/16 03:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: Doubt I can get it lifted... Business privilege taxes exist in the neighboring towns too, although they're lower... Still gotta research if there are any nearby towns with none.

Bloody commies. We have a few towns in Jersey that tax employers/employees that way, but at better rates. Should try though, I mean, how heartless can they be? I'm sure when they wrote the tax into law, e-commerce wasn't even a word yet. Either way, I have faith in you!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 16:02:47

I wonder...If I browse the site as a non-supporter, then I see ads; and the fact that I see those ads gives Newgrounds money, right? How much money does an average non-supporter browser make Newgrounds a month?

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 16:14:09

I'm a proud Newgrounds supporter.
I love Newgrounds and I'll be on this site till either I die or Newgrounds does.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 16:59:58

At 2/26/16 03:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: That's a nice cat pic!

I tried to take one, but my fucking shithead of a cat wouldn't fucking look at the camera, makes me madder than ever!

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 17:23:29

There used to be unique flashes submitted here.

There's no guarantee my future flash will get any views, so stop locking my account.

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 17:36:54

perform da cat ritual

Support me on my Patreon!

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 18:08:54

also why the hell did you mod poozy and angel, you're better off modding me than them, christ almighty

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 18:29:36

At 2/26/16 04:49 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/26/16 04:12 AM, linda-mota wrote: I have more.
Another nice cat pic! Lazy cat basking in a basket lap.

she's 12 and survived gnarly shit i let her be.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-26 18:37:34

At 2/26/16 02:07 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/26/16 01:05 PM, Psychopath wrote: No, the real content creators would get fucked out their hard earned pay because those shovelwear developers depend on quantity to make their money, therefore, they would be among the more successful people purely by means of attrition. It wouldn't matter if you only got 200 views for a game you just shat out because you would have dozens of those games earning the same amount regularly.
The big point here is that shovelware companies get their accounts shut down, so if they wanted to cheat the system they would have to pay for every attempt and still get shut down.

The other points are more valid, since it sucks to keep people out if they can't afford supporter access. It's unlikely we would even try this idea due to your sort of response, however the reality is that the majority of people will never hit the minimum payment threshold, there will be frequent of attempts of abuse, and having a $3 barrier of entry would realistically result in larger and more frequent payouts for serious content creators. Not to mention in the case of games you could still run an in-game ad and publish your game for free, making revenue solely from in-game ads - which wouldn't be based on this system.

I was going to raise the issue that the idea of paying money with the promise of earning more money basically reads off like a Ponzi scheme myself. Mainly with the whole idea of it being a pot based off of supporters. And how in the hell does a pay barrier fix that pay threshold? Because if the answer is the money is still going to a pot, that's still akin to a Ponzi scheme.

BBS Signature

At 2/26/16 08:50 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/25/16 09:18 PM, M-Abrantes wrote: Tom, why don't you create an option to donate the money we earn through contests or content creation/views to support the website?

(...)

We need a lot more supporters before something like that gets built but it's one way I'm picturing it down the road.

Wow, that's WAY more complicated than I thought. Thank you for replying, Tom!

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 03:08:10

At 2/26/16 08:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/26/16 07:30 AM, deathink wrote: I had a supporter status all last year but I don't have the badge. Is that because I won the last one in a contest?
Yeah, it is the grey one without a year on it, the "Honorary Badge"

Actually, that was a bug and I have fixed it.

@deathink, you should see that now. Sorry about that - see you in May?

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 08:00:46

At 2/25/16 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Most importantly, you can lift NG closer to our goal of being nothing short of a creative utopia. As the supporter count grows we can cover expenses, remove the more obnoxious ads and ultimately build a new variant of our system for paying artists, directing more revenue to the best content each month, as well as sponsored exclusives.

At the time of this post we have 1,108 Active Supporters. We would be in great shape with 10K and NG would be the only game in town with 100K. Don't think we can hit 100,000 active supporters? I do! Even if it takes 10 years. We're in this for the long-haul and I think we've proven that many times over at this point. Please consider becoming a supporter!

As long as the heart and soul of newgrounds Tom Fulp stays for that whole 10 years we definitely can. Sucks to hear about the account hunting thing. One of the things I love about Newgrounds compared to other sites is the content maintained and driven by the community. I don't want us to become like reddit, fuck reddit and reddit's culture. We're better than that.

As site population on NG increases be careful who you cater to, always put preserving the spirit of NG first.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 08:04:24

At 2/26/16 04:59 PM, TheMadWasp wrote:
At 2/26/16 03:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: That's a nice cat pic!
I tried to take one, but my fucking shithead of a cat wouldn't fucking look at the camera, makes me madder than ever!

Nice house panther bro

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 14:25:02

It's good that the judgement system got fixed. I'll never understand the wibbly-wobbly world of taxes.

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 16:23:59

Thanks for the update nice to see the portal get back to normal somewhat.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 17:09:30

At 2/26/16 06:37 PM, Keisok wrote: I was going to raise the issue that the idea of paying money with the promise of earning more money basically reads off like a Ponzi scheme myself. Mainly with the whole idea of it being a pot based off of supporters. And how in the hell does a pay barrier fix that pay threshold? Because if the answer is the money is still going to a pot, that's still akin to a Ponzi scheme.

It does sound Ponzi'ish, another reason why it would likely never happen however it still has its merits. Right now anyone can participate in our system for free, however they are only paid based on the actual ad reporting for their submissions. So if your individual submission never reports any ad revenue from ad companies, you never get ad revenue. Under a system where we distribute a pot, there is no need for anyone to actually generate their own revenue anymore, if they can just log some impressions. This means you can set up 1,000 accounts, upload passable stuff around all the portals (and there are sweatshops that will do this), and try to skim what you can off the pot.

Say we have a pot of $5000 a month but there are 20,000 accounts participating in this system. We end up with a majority of people never getting past a few dollars or cents in their account. This is where requiring supporter status would solve some headaches and limit the pool to serious artists who expect to do well (like how you pay Apple $100 per year for app store access if you think your app will make more than $100 per year). Also keep in mind, the majority of the pot would HOPEFULLY come from users who just enjoy the content on NG and want perks, vs the being dependent on the artists who upload content.

I guess my point in all this is, it's something we're unlikely to do because of the perception but in my gut I think it would work out better for the people who make really good stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-27 20:20:53

Glad to hear that the Judgement System has been fixed. I can look forward to earning some more blams again.

I had a feeling that there was suspicious activity going when that one submission got daily first, at least we know now what had happened.

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-29 06:22:33

At 2/27/16 05:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: I guess my point in all this is, it's something we're unlikely to do because of the perception but in my gut I think it would work out better for the people who make really good stuff.

One thing I like about this place is that it benefits not only those who make really good stuff, but all those who aspire to - however bad they may be when they start out. I'd rather there was a way to support specific artists you want to support in their furthering of said ambitions, than unwillingly contributing to a pot that is shared among already accomplished artists you might not like at all (that often seem to receive revenue from other sources as well). Maybe if the system takes into account what artists you have in your favorites, and makes sure your share is distributed only among those, or those that are there that also qualify for the pot? The idea of a pot sounds interesting, but not so sure about a supporter-exclusive one as such. Does feel a bit elitist.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-29 06:24:26

At 2/26/16 06:29 PM, linda-mota wrote: she's 12 and survived gnarly shit i let her be.

Looks pretty gnarly. :)

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-29 06:35:15

At 2/29/16 06:24 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/26/16 06:29 PM, linda-mota wrote: she's 12 and survived gnarly shit i let her be.
Looks pretty gnarly. :)

this one is dead though. cute, but a total bastard.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-29 06:35:27

At 2/25/16 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: In other delightful news...

The IRS quietly made a change to international tax law where they now accept a foreign tax ID number to apply treaty benefits, with the exception of France, Japan and Luxembourg (as well as every country without a tax treaty). Previously we required foreign payees to obtain a US Tax ID to avoid 30% withholding but that is no longer the case. If you have filed a W-8BEN with us but didn't include a US or foreign TIN and live in a country where benefits now apply with a foreign TIN, you may want to submit a new W-8BEN, including your foreign TIN.

I was the guy who reported the tax change. Your welcome :P Now we all be making more profit. Thx to this - you suddenly have to do around 80% less paper work if you are non-USA content creator.

word

Response to Judgment Voting, Tax News, CAT PIC 2016-02-29 10:20:01

I think that cat might have the suga's.

II II lI

BBS Signature