00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ZodiousE just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale

1,483 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

THIS THREAD CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR UNDERTALE

Just recently, Undertale beat Ocarina of time in the Gmefaqs Best Game Of All Time, which really surprised me. I was upset at first. How could a newly relased indie game beat one of the most beloved classics? I decided to give Undertale a try.
After playing it, I think it was amazing. I still think it was unacepttable for it to win the contest, mainly because of the graphics. And few other things.
When I first met Flowey, I thought it was just another light hearted RPG. Boy, was I in for a surprise. This game is bassicaly a horror game if youre playing any route but pacifist. This game breaks the fourth wall a lot. The gameplay revolves around the save/load feature and negotiating or killing your way through battles. Some of the charachters are completely aware of your ability so save/load and will reference it in the next load. You are basically God in this game. I dont know the full story here, I think you need to play the game 3-4 times to understand. Its certainly a classic. Favourite moment: When Flowey shows his true nature.

As for Ocarina Of Time, chances are you played this game at some point, so I wont bother to type about it. Its a classic. Favourite moment: When you slay Gannon.

Undertale is certainly better than Ocarina Of Time, but its definetly not the best game ever.
What do you guys think?

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-29 15:05:50

This is one of the reasons why Undertale has gotten a massive amount of hate, it was one of those games that got popular way too fast by a flaky fanbase and hipsters, thus not allowing it to grow naturally with the gameplay. It doesn't help that said fanbases hop on the Undertale bandwagon and give it awards it doesn't deserve and giving more accomplished games the shaft.

Give it a year or so, and people will eventually turn on Undertale as saccharine, if they haven't already.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-29 15:55:31

At 1/29/16 03:05 PM, orangebomb wrote: This is one of the reasons why Undertale has gotten a massive amount of hate, it was one of those games that got popular way too fast by a flaky fanbase and hipsters, thus not allowing it to grow naturally with the gameplay. It doesn't help that said fanbases hop on the Undertale bandwagon and give it awards it doesn't deserve and giving more accomplished games the shaft.

I completely agree with you. Its a phenomenal game, but it certainly doesnt deserve all that praise. I actually really like this game. Maybe because its a friendly little game on the outside, but it has a really dark plot. It also reminds me of Majoras Mask,my favourite game, as in the repeated cycle, but more complicated. In MM, you see various charachters in various situations. I guarantee you that one of those moments will bring you to tears. Undertale does similar thing. It makes you invested in the charachters, which makes even more painful for you to to a genocide run. Undertale is one of the rare games that lets you play the villain if you want to.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-29 15:56:10

At 1/29/16 02:34 PM, Hoodie wrote:
At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: When you slay Gannon.
lol

Heh, yeah, i should have used a more appropriate word

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-29 17:28:37

At 1/29/16 04:34 PM, Hoodie wrote:
At 1/29/16 03:56 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: Heh, yeah, i should have used a more appropriate word
The more appropriate word would be Ganon, you fucking nub.

Whoa, man, no need to go all grammar nazi on me. And who cares anyway, its a fictional charachter. Its not like I offended him or anything.

At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: THIS THREAD CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR UNDERTALE

Just recently, Undertale beat Ocarina of time in the Gmefaqs Best Game Of All Time, which really surprised me. I was upset at first. How could a newly relased indie game beat one of the most beloved classics? I decided to give Undertale a try.
After playing it, I think it was amazing. I still think it was unacepttable for it to win the contest, mainly because of the graphics. And few other things.

This is all I read. Not because I'm lazy, but because I didn't want to read possible spoilers to a game I might play in the future. Another note, I did play that zelda game.

I personally don't pay much attention to video game awards. Especially an award like "best" of all time on a site like TrollFAQ I played the demo for Under tale, and while it's got great writing, the bullet hell style "combat" and strangeness weren't exactly contenders for best game of all time. Ocarina of time was just the first 3d zelda game(?), but that's all. I played the remastered version of it and felt like it was fairly dated. The music was memorable, but the story wasn't much better than pre supernintendo Final fantasy titles. Mind you that it came out the same year as Grim Fandango, Starcraft, Xenosaga, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Soul caliber, and Unreal, all instantly recognizable titles. It's not even a list for 1998 if it doesn't include at least all of those games, let alone all time.

I get it though, you were probably a kid when it came out and had fond memories of playing it, but that was almost twenty years ago. Sure, it was one of the first games that wasn't "nintendo hard", but it was still "90's game cryptic."

My honest opinion? Versing a 20 year old puzzle/adventure game against a fairly new indie/parody is comparing apples to oranges. Let TrollFAQs be TrollFAQs, make your own choice, and play your damn games!

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 05:07:54

At 1/29/16 11:28 PM, NipponDevil wrote:
At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: THIS THREAD CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR UNDERTALE

This is all I read. Not because I'm lazy, but because I didn't want to read possible spoilers to a game I might play in the future. Another note, I did play that zelda game.

I personally don't pay much attention to video game awards. Especially an award like "best" of all time on a site like TrollFAQ I played the demo for Under tale, and while it's got great writing, the bullet hell style "combat" and strangeness weren't exactly contenders for best game of all time. Ocarina of time was just the first 3d zelda game(?), but that's all. I played the remastered version of it and felt like it was fairly dated. The music was memorable, but the story wasn't much better than pre supernintendo Final fantasy titles. Mind you that it came out the same year as Grim Fandango, Starcraft, Xenosaga, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Soul caliber, and Unreal, all instantly recognizable titles. It's not even a list for 1998 if it doesn't include at least all of those games, let alone all time.

I get it though, you were probably a kid when it came out and had fond memories of playing it, but that was almost twenty years ago. Sure, it was one of the first games that wasn't "nintendo hard", but it was still "90's game cryptic."

My honest opinion? Versing a 20 year old puzzle/adventure game against a fairly new indie/parody is comparing apples to oranges. Let TrollFAQs be TrollFAQs, make your own choice, and play your damn games!

Youre probbably right. My main issue with Undertale winning is that no one will remember it next year, just like FNAF is now heading into obsscurity. Just see. You didnt read the part when i said that its better than OOT. It has better story. OOT is aging. I really like OOT, but its still not my favourite in the series. I wasnt exactly around when it was relased, but it probbably made an impact. By the way, theres going to be controversy on any awards that people are voting on.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 09:01:05

At 1/30/16 05:07 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
Youre probbably right. My main issue with Undertale winning is that no one will remember it next year, just like FNAF is now heading into obsscurity. Just see. You didnt read the part when i said that its better than OOT. It has better story. OOT is aging. I really like OOT, but its still not my favourite in the series. I wasnt exactly around when it was relased, but it probbably made an impact. By the way,theres going to be controversy on any awards that people are voting on.

The bolded parts kind of counteract each other, but I get what you're saying.

I think a better title for the TrollFAQs award would have been "Most memorable game of the moment." Once you make that small alteration, you realize it was just a bunch of Zelda and Indie fans voting against each other.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 15:38:58

I've never liked Zelda and OoT in particular is garb so my opinion on that end is null, but Undertale was my absolute favourite game of last year, arguably the best year in gaming since 1998. Undertale absolutely deserved the gamefaqs win.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 15:55:53

You could make an argument for either game being better or worse than the other. I think Ocarina of Time is just one of those games that's destined to have had and continue to have a greater impact on the craft and industry and all other things being subjective that's usually the metric I use to put one game over another.

Ocarina of Time came out during the infancy of the art of designing a game in a 3D world and did so many things right that we didn't even know needed to be done better that it absolutely out-classed everything else. The fact that so many games have taken its lessons to heart and made it seem out dated seems more like a testament to its importance rather than a knock against it.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Comparing Undertale to Ocarina of Time is as unfair as comparing Mario to Halo. They don't have enough in common for a fair comparison.

At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: This game is bassicaly a horror game if youre playing any route but pacifist.

I hope you meant Neutral.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 16:53:39

At 1/30/16 09:01 AM, NipponDevil wrote:
The bolded parts kind of counteract each other, but I get what you're saying.

I think a better title for the TrollFAQs award would have been "Most memorable game of the moment." Once you make that small alteration, you realize it was just a bunch of Zelda and Indie fans voting against each other.

You said it best.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 16:55:58

At 1/30/16 03:55 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Ocarina of Time came out during the infancy of the art of designing a game in a 3D world and did so many things right that we didn't even know needed to be done better that it absolutely out-classed everything else. The fact that so many games have taken its lessons to heart and made it seem out dated seems more like a testament to its importance rather than a knock against it.

I get what youre saying. Even though its outdated, OOT is one of the most important entries in gaming history.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-30 16:59:54

At 1/30/16 04:35 PM, Chdonga wrote: Comparing Undertale to Ocarina of Time is as unfair as comparing Mario to Halo. They don't have enough in common for a fair comparison.

At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: This game is bassicaly a horror game if youre playing any route but pacifist.
I hope you meant Neutral.

I would never make that comparison if they werent final two in the Game Of The Year. Their gameplay is as different as it comes.

I actually only completed the Genocide route, and halfway of the both routes. Genocide route is creepy as hell. Floweys story actually made me feel compassion for him.

I don't understand all the hype about undertale but it's because I'm the second type of person.

The first type is the people who were able to play without being spoiled. They didn't know about pacifist or genocide run and had fun discovering it.

The second type is the one who were spoiled by the first type... Example, if i ask on steam forum if i should buy the game, a lots of people will say if you buy it will you do the genocide or pacifist ending. BAM someone spoiled me, the game is way less amazing cause i know that i can kill or not.

So for me no it doesn't deserve it at all But in oot, even if you are spoiled, the game is still fun gameplay based it dosent change anything

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-01-31 07:07:44

At 1/30/16 07:52 PM, cuttyflame wrote:
So for me no it doesn't deserve it at all But in oot, even if you are spoiled, the game is still fun gameplay based it dosent change anything

Well, I put up a spoiler alert. I hope I didnt spoil anything.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-02-01 11:28:14

The award means literally nothing, it was literally a popularity content voted on by the public. A lot of people who voted for Undertale certainly didnt think it was best game ever, or even close, they were just voting for it for the lulz. A lot of people on GameFAQs were getting real mad about it.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-02-06 21:44:14

At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
Undertale is certainly better than Ocarina Of Time, but its definetly not the best game ever.
What do you guys think?

Wow. Have you even played Ocarina of Time? Its so much better than Undertale. Yeah, Undertale is great and all, but you cant compare it to Ocarina of Time.
Try comparing it to Earthbound, the game that it was actually modeled after, and then we'll see

spoilers: Earthbound is also better

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-02-09 13:20:23

At 2/6/16 09:44 PM, Lionelion wrote:
At 1/29/16 11:00 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
What do you guys think?
Wow. Have you even played Ocarina of Time? Its so much better than Undertale. Yeah, Undertale is great and all, but you cant compare it to Ocarina of Time.
Try comparing it to Earthbound, the game that it was actually modeled after, and then we'll see
spoilers: Earthbound is also better

Whoa, take the nostalgia goggles of for a second. What are you going to say next, that SM64 is better than SMG? Most of the classic 3D games are fairly dated now. How is OOT superior to Undertale? I did play OOT, but i prefer MM. I guess i really like games with dark stories.

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-02-09 13:22:40

Youre right, OOT is fun with or without spoilers, but they totally ruin Undertale.

At 2/9/16 01:20 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
Whoa, take the nostalgia goggles of for a second.

Nothing to do with nostalgia here, I actually never even fully played through it as a kid. The most recent playthrough for me was the HD remake on the 3ds

What are you going to say next, that SM64 is better than SMG?

Again, no. I think both those games are amazing in their own right, and I could make a case for either one being better.

Most of the classic 3D games are fairly dated now.

First you mention nostalgia, now this? Also, it doesnt really matter how old a game is, if its good, its stays good, it doesnt just become bad with time(for the most part).

How is OOT superior to Undertale? I did play OOT, but i prefer MM. I guess i really like games with dark stories.

My main problem here is that youre comparing an RPG to an Action/Adventure game, and you cant really do that, cuz you cant fairly compare the two, because of how different the genres are.
Having said that, OOT is still a better game. If you'd maybe stop riding the Undertale fan train that thinks Undertale is the best game in existence of all time, and take a step back for a second, you'd realize that there are better games than Undertale, and OOT is one of them. Again, im not trying to say Undertale is bad, it just lacks some of what OOT does have. But again, i cant fairly compare these 2, because of how different the genres are. I mean, I could say something like OOT has items that are obtained and then cleverly used in each dungeon where they are gotten in order to help you progress, but thats something that you'll almost never find in any RPG game(at least to the effect in which its used in OOT), so I cant use it as a reason against Undertale.
So yeah, I want to give you reasons as to why OOT is the better game, but I really cant fairly do that if we're just talking gameplay. The same goes for the reverse too, so dont try to give me reasons as to why Undertale is better if the same reason cant apply to OOT at all.

But seeing as you asked us what our opinion was in the first place, im not even sure why you're arguing with me about this, unless you're just that hellbent on getting me to change my opinion

Response to Ocarina Of Time vs Undertale 2016-02-10 15:35:23

At 1/30/16 03:38 PM, Jackho wrote: I've never liked Zelda and OoT in particular is garb so my opinion on that end is null, but Undertale was my absolute favourite game of last year, arguably the best year in gaming since 1998. Undertale absolutely deserved the gamefaqs win.

Last year wasn't all that great. I'd say the best year for gaming in recent memory was 2013. 2014 and 2015 seem to be the awkward phase for devs.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature