00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation voice sync trouble...

394 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation voice sync trouble... 2016-01-27 18:28:15

Hi, I am a beginner to the world of animation. I have a sound file and a script of the story that I want to animate. Now I work in Adobe Flash. While animating, I have to create animated sequence based on timing of the dialogue of the sound files. Lets say the frame rate is 24fps. So for each second sequence, I have to do the calculation of adding 24 or subtracting 24 from the previous frame number. Making so much calculations is really troublesome and boring of course. Is there any other way that might be easier ?

For instance, I wrote a simple program that goes to next sequence or frame that I want to go to when I press a key in keyboard. I know nothing about actionscript. I just found the guideline to do it online. But this doesn't work when I hit any key repeatedly in short interval. So, I was looking for some other way.

Thank you all.

Response to Animation voice sync trouble... 2016-01-27 19:52:53

HI sherlock20,

There are a lot of guides on YOUTUBE a really good start for you if your new to Flash, You also don't really need to do any calculations if you are just drawing on top of the audio. I'm assuming now that's what you are getting at here doing your own animations.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

BBS Signature

Response to Animation voice sync trouble... 2016-01-27 23:52:20

At 1/27/16 06:28 PM, sherlock20 wrote: Hi, I am a beginner to the world of animation. I have a sound file and a script of the story that I want to animate. Now I work in Adobe Flash. While animating, I have to create animated sequence based on timing of the dialogue of the sound files. Lets say the frame rate is 24fps. So for each second sequence, I have to do the calculation of adding 24 or subtracting 24 from the

I had audio sync issues at 24 fps till I kicked it up tp 30 fps looks much bettter and everything lines up and stays that way

At 1/27/16 07:52 PM, Wondermeow wrote: HI sherlock20,

There are a lot of guides on YOUTUBE a really good start for you if your new to Flash, You also don't really need to do any calculations if you are just drawing on top of the audio. I'm assuming now that's what you are getting at here doing your own animations.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

Thanks @Wondermeow, but when the voice file is too large, the timeline becomes messy with a lot of keyframes. Just imagine, if I want to make a 1 minute video, the timeline needs to contain 60 x 24 = 1440 frames. At times, it becomes difficult to keep track of so many keyframes.
Isn't there any other way that could simplify things? I thought the actionscript could be of some help. For example, if I press a key on keyboard, the next keyframe in the timeline or the specified frame number in the actionscript code would play. That way, I wouldn't have to create so many frames. And I wouldn't have to load the audio either. After whole drawing process, I would have to listen to the audio only and press the key from the keyboard at the right time to match the animated sequence to the audio. And record the monitor screen with some screen capture software. Isn't that easier than messing up the timeline with so many frames ?

But the problem I am having in this method is ---
1) The flash can't act promptly with keyboard press. It probably can't process multiple key press within short interval of time. Would some expensive or good quality keyboard help ?

2) I can't properly synchronize the keypress with the audio. So the screen recorded video doesn't look that good.

Can you suggest me anything over this matter ?

Thanks again ............ :)

Response to Animation voice sync trouble... 2016-01-29 17:15:29

Have you tried setting the audio to stream?

TBH it seems like you have no idea how to use the program, and 1440 frames isn't really a lot when it comes to animating?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation voice sync trouble... 2016-01-29 18:36:58

At 1/27/16 06:28 PM, sherlock20 wrote: Hi, I am a beginner to the world of animation. I have a sound file and a script of the story that I want to animate. Now I work in Adobe Flash. While animating, I have to create animated sequence based on timing of the dialogue of the sound files. Lets say the frame rate is 24fps. So for each second sequence, I have to do the calculation of adding 24 or subtracting 24 from the previous frame number. Making so much calculations is really troublesome and boring of course. Is there any other way that might be easier ?

For instance, I wrote a simple program that goes to next sequence or frame that I want to go to when I press a key in keyboard. I know nothing about actionscript. I just found the guideline to do it online. But this doesn't work when I hit any key repeatedly in short interval. So, I was looking for some other way.

Thank you all.

Hm. I'm trying to discern your issue.

First of all, you can pretty much throw out any concept of trying to align audio with FPS. The two aren't really related. Whether you have something running at 10fps or 100fps, that doesn't matter to the audio since you're animating to the audio. If you tried to export 10fps to 24fps, then obviously you would have an issue.

So the way a typical one second animation works (12 or 24 or 30fps), is that you drop your audio into the timeline (streaming), and then you animate to the audio. You should typically try and start your lip sync animation one frame before the audio starts. Just a rule of thumb that usually applies well.

That's it. That's all animating in Flash is.

What you're talking about is a secondary step, and I'm not certain what that step is. You're doing your second long animation, and then you're...making it so that you can click a key and jump to the next second of animation? Is that something the user is doing or is that something you're doing -- like as a shortcut when animating?

It sounds like it's the second thing that's giving you issues.

Later in this thread is the question about the length of the animation itself (as in, trying to do a minute long animation in a single timeline.) That's...I wouldn't do that. Anything over, say, 600 frames and you might run into some issues just with regards to display, especially if you have a lot of frame by frame animation happening. Usually it's best to do a bunch of short clips and then bring them all together in post.

If you're dead set on doing a really long animation (over a minute) within one timeline in one go, I would at least make sure that you create individual clips within graphic symbols of their own, and then assemble them in a new timeline.

E.g. You animate 10 seconds, all inside a single graphic symbol. To do that, it's just like creating any symbol -- you can just put a dot of paint on the canvas, make that into a symbol, and then go into that symbol and start your animation process. You can do this at the beginning or end of your animation. If you do it at the end you'll want to CUT all your keyframe, delet the blank slots, draw a circle, make that circle a graphic symbol, then go into that graphic symbol, highlight the sole keyframe, and then paste your keyframes.

Good luck. Hopefully that helped at all. :)