00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D)

563 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

:D
Hi everyone. My name is Joshua, and I just joined the Newgrounds community. I am very excited to share my artwork with all of you and to see where I need to improve so I can become better at what I love to do. I still need to upload a great deal of my artwork. So, this thread will be updated several times over the next couple of days.

Here is my most recent drawing (It's not all that great, but I like it. It is a small sketch that I drew a few days ago): www.newgrounds.com/art/view/quirkystudios/the-cat-person-and-the-dog-person
I hope you enjoy it!

Okay, that's all for now. Until next time, thank you for reading, and God bless.

~Joshua

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-27 17:30:09

Hi QuirkyStudios,

Welcome to New Grounds dude, hope you have fun with us here and good luck on the forums if you ever want to collab or just bored you can always give me a buzz, lol.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

BBS Signature

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-27 18:02:31

Thanks. I just might do that.

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-27 19:21:34

Not sure if I can edit my earlier post, but here another drawing I did:Hawk Illustration
I hope you like it :)

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-27 20:42:45

Nope, no editing posts on NG. People would abuse it.

Drawings could still use some work. On your anthro-people, you're missing what I call key details. There are certain details the human brain looks for to analyze the emotional state of another human, eyes, brows, mouth, hands and posture for example. When you're making "cartoony" style art, you need to find these key details and exaggerate them so that the characters convey what you want to convey. You have a good start here, but the body postures need to be a little more pronounced, the faces are blank and the hands are absent.

Personally, I would avoid uploading pencil sketches to your main art gallery, since they will make you look noobish for all eternity. You can show your sketches here in the art thread with the upload button.

If you put the url for your NG Art in the thread, it will generate a preview:

Okay thanks for the information. :) I'll be sure to incorporate it into future art pieces, and I won't upload sketches to my main art gallery. I see what you mean with the lack of good details.

How do you all like this picture?

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-28 06:56:20

At 1/28/16 01:24 AM, QuirkyStudios wrote: Okay thanks for the information. :) I'll be sure to incorporate it into future art pieces, and I won't upload sketches to my main art gallery. I see what you mean with the lack of good details.

How do you all like this picture?

So when you're just doing pencil work and not going through the finishing processes I expect there to be more quality in the narrative or composition of the artwork to balance it. This picture is kinda boring.

By narrative, I mean, what does the picture say? Are you drawing something cool? Something meaningful? If you had to explain the content of your drawing to someone without showing it, is your picture worth 1000 words? Composition is a more complicated principle with a lot of different components that make it work. Balance, rhythm, movement, variation, value, etc. It's hard to pin good composition down into rules, but study it and it will come naturally to you. I think you're already showing a sense of movement, which puts you ahead of some artists I see here, but you could push it a bit more. Here is a cool website that explains compositional elements of cool paintings: http://www.scottmcd.net/artanalysis/?p=1094

Your linework and shading is okay, not fantastic. If you can improve your narrative and composition, you don't need a lot of improvement there, but if you want your artwork to stand on technical skill, then you need to work on it a lot.

These tutorials should also help you:
http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-the-line-of-action-make-your-character-poses-more-dynamic--vector-5554
http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/cartoon-fundamentals-how-to-draw-a-cartoon-body--vector-18651
http://jnketeer.tumblr.com/post/19915033886/i-really-like-practicing-line-of-action-gestures
http://grizandnorm.tumblr.com/post/90506885768/tuesday-tips-line-of-action-the-line-of-action

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-28 13:54:34

I am very glad I joined this website. You see, I never had any drawing courses in school, and I just graduated high school. So, these tips and critiques you're giving me are pretty invaluable to me. Thank you so much for sharing those tutorials with me. I can see that my work so far has been rather static and not exciting and interesting. It's people like you that make me want to try harder to become better than I am now.

Now that I'm looking at the picture I drew, I can see that it isn't very interesting. It's not very good content. I think those websites will help me out a lot.

I'll be back to upload what I come up with after looking through the tutorials and studies.

Thanks again, man.

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-28 16:43:59

At 1/28/16 01:54 PM, QuirkyStudios wrote: I am very glad I joined this website. You see, I never had any drawing courses in school, and I just graduated high school. So, these tips and critiques you're giving me are pretty invaluable to me. Thank you so much for sharing those tutorials with me. I can see that my work so far has been rather static and not exciting and interesting. It's people like you that make me want to try harder to become better than I am now.

Now that I'm looking at the picture I drew, I can see that it isn't very interesting. It's not very good content. I think those websites will help me out a lot.

I'll be back to upload what I come up with after looking through the tutorials and studies.

Thanks again, man.

Haha, I'm glad you took it well. Sometimes I am too direct and I worry that I will come across as rude instead of helpful.

If you have not had any art class before, check out How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way with Stan Lee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWsNp5KWdE A small part of this video is specific to Marvel style but most of it is good for drawing in general.

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-01-28 17:24:18

At 1/28/16 04:43 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
At 1/28/16 01:54 PM, QuirkyStudios wrote: I am very glad I joined this website. You see, I never had any drawing courses in school, and I just graduated high school. So, these tips and critiques you're giving me are pretty invaluable to me. Thank you so much for sharing those tutorials with me. I can see that my work so far has been rather static and not exciting and interesting. It's people like you that make me want to try harder to become better than I am now.

Thanks again, man.
Haha, I'm glad you took it well. Sometimes I am too direct and I worry that I will come across as rude instead of helpful.

If you have not had any art class before, check out How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way with Stan Lee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWsNp5KWdE A small part of this video is specific to Marvel style but most of it is good for drawing in general.

I know that I have a lot to learn before I am really good at being an artist. So, I'm glad that you've taken some interest in helping me out. I love criticism that points out where I need to improve and offers a solution to the problem. Thanks for pointing out the video.

Response to QuirkyStudio Art (I just Joined :D) 2016-02-05 19:55:59

More art!

Well, not much.
But how do you folks like it? Made it a day or two ago. Hope you like it. :)
\/ \/ \/