00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

out-of-pocket just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advertisements question

291 Views | 4 Replies

Advertisements question 2016-01-21 14:41:43

A while ago I used to play a certain game, and we were encouraged to click the few ads on it once a day, so that the site would make more money, don't actually need to buy anything, and I was wondering if newgrounds would make more if I were to click some of the ads before the video.

Of course this is different, that was just links, and here, the ad is a video so you see it anyway...

Thoughts?

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to Advertisements question 2016-01-21 14:44:49

I don't think it would make a huge amount of difference and would probably just irritate the community and put off fleeting visitors and first time visitors. What they want is subscribers, a site funded by it's community is a much better place than one solely run by ads.

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to Advertisements question 2016-01-21 14:46:34

If I'm not mistaken you have to actually sit there through the whole ad if it's a video ad (or at least 30 seconds, whichever is shorter). You could click ads.

The thing is, what you're asking is extremely unethical, though. Newgrounds can not ask you to click links without taking interest in the product just so they can make money. They can actually lose partnerships and advertising companies could cut ties with Newgrounds for that.

Response to Advertisements question 2016-01-21 15:24:25

At 1/21/16 02:46 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: The thing is, what you're asking is extremely unethical, though. Newgrounds can not ask you to click links without taking interest in the product just so they can make money. They can actually lose partnerships and advertising companies could cut ties with Newgrounds for that.

This.

Ethics suddenly start mattering to these ad networks once their clicks are becoming falsified.

You can still click the ads if you want to. It will earn money for Newgrounds, but Tom will never tell you to click them for no reason.

Response to Advertisements question 2016-01-21 16:07:14

At 1/21/16 03:24 PM, Bit wrote:
At 1/21/16 02:46 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: The thing is, what you're asking is extremely unethical, though. Newgrounds can not ask you to click links without taking interest in the product just so they can make money. They can actually lose partnerships and advertising companies could cut ties with Newgrounds for that.
This.

Ethics suddenly start mattering to these ad networks once their clicks are becoming falsified.

You can still click the ads if you want to. It will earn money for Newgrounds, but Tom will never tell you to click them for no reason.

Exactly. It's especially true since these companies don't advertise with Newgrounds directly. They go through a third party that they pay that pays Newgrounds. If it were direct advertisement then it may be ethical since a lot of companies that directly advertise usually ask the website they sponsor to encourage clicking links, but that's not the case with this.