00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Commissioning Dungeon Crawl Music

1,295 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently in need of some dungeon crawling music for a webcomic project. I'll be funding it partly on patreon, and I need some music to use during the patreon video, and for other update videos and such. I am of course willing to pay; that's no problem.

Here's some examples of roughly the sort of thing I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ--n4nGgFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml1CkyomCM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvnOeS_adM

Basically, something creepy, fantastical, magical, and that would make a good dungeon theme in a rougelike RPG. Nothing too attention-demanding or bombastic. The music only needs to be around 3-5 minutes. It's preferred that it's a unique composition; not something you've already made. But if you have something that's just perfect already made, I'd accept that too. Either way, you will be fully credited as the artist whenever it's used, with a link to whatever site you want.

Here's some examples of the sort of artwork that I'll be using in the webcomic, for your inspiration. The comic is going for a PG-13 rating and will contain violence, course language, and mild sexual themes, so you don't have to make the music cartoony or kid-friendly despite the art style:

I'd prefer to pay over paypal if that's possible, since I already have that set up.

If you're interested, please respond in this forum thread, via private message, or by my work email account: wetoctopus@hotmail.com

Please list in your response a price quote; how much you expect it to cost, as well a link to some of your work (doesn't have to be on Newgrounds) so that I know what you're capable of.

Due to recent experiences involving people attempting to cheat me out of money, payments won't be made until AFTER the work is completed. I know that's a little sketchy, but it's too easy on my front for people to lie about making something, then taking the money and running. If you're nervous or paranoid about getting payments afterwards, then once you're finished with the song you can send me a low-quality sample of the audio-file to show me that it's done, then send the final file once payments are made.

Thanks for listening. Any questions should be directed either to this forum thread, or to me via private message.

Response to Commissioning Dungeon Crawl Music 2016-01-08 11:23:45

At 1/8/16 10:50 AM, Rocktopus64 wrote: Due to recent experiences involving people attempting to cheat me out of money, payments won't be made until AFTER the work is completed.

At least you are offering a salary and not asking musicians to work for free. ;)'

You'd be surprised at how many developers in your position ask for free newly composed custom music.

Right, I should also make it clear, when I say payments are made AFTER the work is completed, I mean payments are made once you're done making the music track, not once I'm finished my end of the work on this project. Whether or not I actually wind up using your work, you'll still get paid if you do the work.

But yeah, I absolutely will pay for commissioned work. I am a FIRM believer in artists getting paid for their work. I don't do this whole "no money, but it'll be great exposure!" thing.

Response to Commissioning Dungeon Crawl Music 2016-01-08 14:59:10

At 1/8/16 11:27 AM, Rocktopus64 wrote: Right, I should also make it clear, when I say payments are made AFTER the work is completed, I mean payments are made once you're done making the music track, not once I'm finished my end of the work on this project. Whether or not I actually wind up using your work, you'll still get paid if you do the work.

But yeah, I absolutely will pay for commissioned work. I am a FIRM believer in artists getting paid for their work. I don't do this whole "no money, but it'll be great exposure!" thing.

Fantastic mindset, godspeed my friend! I'll tag a few blokes I think would be interested/fitting for the job.

@samulis @step @dem0lecule @bosa

At 1/8/16 11:27 AM, Rocktopus64 wrote: Right, I should also make it clear, when I say payments are made AFTER the work is completed, I mean payments are made once you're done making the music track, not once I'm finished my end of the work on this project. Whether or not I actually wind up using your work, you'll still get paid if you do the work.

You have no idea how refreshing your humanity and logic is to our ears. Can we... convince you to stick around... and yell at all the people who want us to do things for free for us? D:

Kidding aside, I'd love to help out. One of my specialties is live-recorded ambient and free-improvised music, which I think would fit very nicely in this.

(probably the closest piece I already have to what you are looking for, although it's written quite dynamically, as a score to another animation)

(mix of virtual and live)

https://instaud.io/private/c5d40c031637394a711dbc78dde4302bfc647c4e (" ")
https://instaud.io/3Do

As far as pricing goes, I'm pretty flexible. I can license an existing work (I have quite a few other ambient pieces that may work); that can probably be as low as $30-40 for the length of song you're interested in.

Original but non-exclusive music around 5 minutes in length would probably only run you $100-200 due to the relative simplicity (and also the great deal of fun) associated with ambient music of this style. This is all negotiable, and I am flexible to work to your budget.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Commissioning Dungeon Crawl Music 2016-01-10 01:45:34

Thank you very much everyone for all your offers! I've found someone who is going to work on this project with me, so I don't need any more offers right now.

Thank you!