00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

So... Let's talk about race.

726 Views | 8 Replies

It's a word I see used a lot around here. I am of course not talking about recent or upcoming presidential races, or anything like that. I am talking about race in terms of the following dictionary definition:

1: a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2: a population so related.
3: Anthropology.
a: (no longer in technical use) any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics.
b: an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c: a socially constructed category of identification based on physical characteristics, ancestry, historical affiliation, or shared culture:
Ex: Her parents wanted her to marry within her race.
d: a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4: a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic lineage: Ex: the Slavic race.
5: any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: Ex: the Dutch race.
6: the human race or family; humankind: Ex: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
7: Zoology. a variety; subspecies.

(all above definitions taken from dictionary.com)

Over the course of our history, it's been a pervasive idea, in one form or another, and a very common way to categorize groups of people. In its most simple form, people are often grouped together based on general skin color, or continent of origin, eg: black, white, Asian, European, native American, etc. It is also one of the more controversial ideas our world has generated, and has led to a great deal of strife and argument in one form or another.

I would like to take a survey here, and have you answer all of the following questions regarding race. I would formally ask that you do not respond to anyone else's responses in this thread until after you've answered these questions. I will give my own answers to them in a little while.

Here are the questions. If necessary, please pick one of the definitions above or provide your own to clarify your answer:

1: Do you believe that a person's race is important when describing that person? If so, to what extent and why? If not, why not?
2: Do you think that categorizing by race is generally helpful when describing people in a given community? Are there any specific cases where this classification might help?
3: Do you think the basic idea of race is helpful or harmful, and in what ways?
4: Do you believe that all races are essentially equal in form and/or function? If inequalities exist, in what form do they take? Are these differences significant enough to warrant racial policies?
5: In general, should people of different race intermingle freely, or should they act more-or-less under voluntary segregation? If neither will work, what other options could they take?
6: In the future, do you think there will be more races, fewer, or no appreciable difference? In what form will this change take, if any?
7: (optional) What race do you identify under, if any? What if anything is significant about that identification?

Try to keep your answers concise. Try not to write more than you'd want to read yourself.

Great music doesn't force you to think. It allows you to.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-03 08:01:54

1: Do you believe that a person's race is important when describing that person? If so, to what extent and why? If not, why not?

I do not.

2: Do you think that categorizing by race is generally helpful when describing people in a given community? Are there any specific cases where this classification might help?

Nope. But if anything, I think using culture and upbringing are much more important to look at when judging an individual on their own personality.

Both. Diversity is exceptional when it naturally occurs and the result we have in the USA is a nation of highly individualistic personalities. on the other end of the spectrum there are also a number of people who use the color of their skin to try and justify some notion of supremacy or guilt others into granting them societal privilege. in summery of the bad... stormfront and socjus.

4: Do you believe that all races are essentially equal in form and/or function? If inequalities exist, in what form do they take? Are these differences significant enough to warrant racial policies?

Unequal in form but function for the most part remains the same. An anecdote to my answer would be that many people in Europe and Asia have from 1 to 4 percent Neanderthal genes, but sub-Saharans do not.

5: In general, should people of different race intermingle freely, or should they act more-or-less under voluntary segregation? If neither will work, what other options could they take?

sure they can intermingle. we are free in the west after all.

6: In the future, do you think there will be more races, fewer, or no appreciable difference? In what form will this change take, if any?

if everyone had kids with everyone we would simply see some things become more common or less common. the Steppe is an excellent example of these types of melting pots. if anyone is under threat of disappearing it would be those of sub-Saharan decent who do not have any of those Neanderthal genes.

7: (optional) What race do you identify under, if any? What if anything is significant about that identification?

I am a pasty white Caucasian and I will never be anything but a pasty white Caucasian. I might at some point identify as something else and we are all free to do so but the color of my skin can never be changed. National descent has much more significance then racial descent.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-03 18:53:25

At 1/3/16 02:16 AM, Fubaka wrote: It's a word I see used a lot around here. I am of course not talking about recent or upcoming presidential races, or anything like that. I am talking about race in terms of the following dictionary definition:

1: a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

Seems like the standard definition. I'll go with this. Contention arises in where we draw the lines -- for example at which point do we say one group of people is a different race from another group of people? How do we wish to designate race? That sort of thing.

Here are the questions. If necessary, please pick one of the definitions above or provide your own to clarify your answer:

It is important only if the person views it as important or if there are medical reasons under consideration. For example, some diseases are heavily racially based. So it may be important to know what someone's race is in the diagnosis of certain kinds of medical conditions.

I think socio-economic grouping and cultural grouping are far more useful categorizers. Race is in most cases superficial. The case where it might help is in certain medical scenarios, as per the previous question.

It's mostly harmful because people just use it for discrimination. Instead, evaluate people according to their character, as per Martin Luther King Jr.'s suggestion.

All races are not identical, but all have equal value. As for the differences, they are mostly medical, for example darker skin being less susceptible to skin cancer, Africans being susceptible to sickle cell, etc...

Policies should try to be fair to all, regardless of race.

They can intermingle unless they feel they can't or don't want to. Freedom of association. I don't think a racist should be forced to intermingle with those he/she hates. It's probably better for everyone if a racist just stays home. At the same time those who are more tolerant should be able to intermingle.

Well, firstly how do we determine the races? What is the cutoff point? At what point does a new race appear? It's really very arbitrary unless we say all humans are "the human race". Anything short of that is some arbitrary cutoff points.

Native American. Though it's often easier just to say "white". The significance is my people were here in the US first, so to any xenophobes who aren't Native American I point out how their people were just immigrants to the US so their xenophobia is hypocritical.

Try to keep your answers concise. Try not to write more than you'd want to read yourself.

I try to be as concise as is reasonable. As for your second comment, I routinely read thousands of pages books in the course of a few days. Reading doesn't really take very long. I could see this being an issue for one who was new to the English language or still trying to learn English, perhaps. I assume most on Newgrounds have a good degree of English competency and that doesn't apply to them.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-03 21:20:15

At 1/3/16 02:16 AM, Fubaka wrote: 1: Do you believe that a person's race is important when describing that person? If so, to what extent and why? If not, why not?

Personally, no. Although some people identify heavily with their race and see it as part of their personality.

I'd be lying if I said Washington, DC wasn't a majority-black community.

Race is a fact. How much people try to differentiate themselves by it is what is harmful.

All have equal potential. However, some races collectively have lesser education, opportunities, etc. Just look at a country where they are the minority. This does not warrant racial policies; it should warrant anti-racial policies.

Everyone should intermingle. But there is a lot of self-segregation.

The white demographic is shrinking, and the others are growing at their usual rate as far as I can tell. The Japanese also have a population decline.

I identify as white. I don't think it is of any significance.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-03 22:27:05

At 1/3/16 02:16 AM, Fubaka wrote: 1: Do you believe that a person's race is important when describing that person? If so, to what extent and why? If not, why not?

Yes, both as a mere physical descriptor and as a social one. While we strive to have all people have the same background and opportunity, not all people get the same treatment. These differences both create and foster cultural differences.

Until all races form a homogenous and equal culture, it makes a difference and helps. The diffiulty isthat not all people in a race shae the same culture, so such a categorizaton may also be a red herring or distraction.

It is benign. How it is used determines its help or harm.

Physically at birth, all races are the same. Socially, some races are given massive advantages or disadvantages.

Intermingle.

My guess is globalization will cause the number to slowly shrink toward an inevitable 1 race many generations in the future.

White. I get the benefit of all the doubts.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-04 14:30:43

At 1/3/16 11:03 PM, zornuzkull wrote: What a load of shit...

Care to elaborate?

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-04 15:06:51

At 1/4/16 02:53 PM, zornuzkull wrote:
At 1/4/16 02:30 PM, Fubaka wrote: Care to elaborate?
This test seems pointless...

It's not a test, since you aren't being graded on your response. Really, there is no right or wrong answer here.

Also, you don't have to take this survey, but still, I'd like to hear why you think it's pointless.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-04 17:49:16

At 1/4/16 04:17 PM, zornuzkull wrote:
Actually I blundered in here from general by mistake...
But if you must know the survey is pointless due to having such a small sample size to work from.
If this survey is academic in nature you should have cast your net more widely.

I disagree with your assessment.

Also, this is not an academic survey.

Response to So... Let's talk about race. 2016-01-15 12:36:59

Hope i'm not too late for the quiz? I spent most of my night playing video games so sorry if i slurred a bit on my answers and they don't make sense.

Depends? If it's describing someone who did a crime and might still be on the run then yes, it's important to tell people that person's race, if it's just used casually while chatting with someone it's not as necessary but it can still be used to give people a better idea of how that person looks like, if it's used as a way to degrade someone then no, it's not something people should use.

Yeah, different races act in a different way and have different cultures, ghettos are an example.

Helpful, everyone's different and saying we're not only pisses off people who don't wish to be associated with certain people.

Nah, every race has different characteristics that people of that race are generally more prone to have, i certainly don't believe every African child is as smart as a regular European/American/Asian student even while given the same opportunities but there are exceptions to the rule, then again everyone's different so while they may be worse in one way they're likely better than others in another way.
Racial policies? Like segregating people by race? Putting a certain race in a area and the other in another?
Not sure how to answer that, if we were to do so only with the troublemakers of each race then i don't see a problem but if we're doing so with productive members of society then no.

Do you mean race-mix? I don't think it should be the norm otherwise we're killing eachother but if out of 200 couples there's a mixed race kid then i'm fine by it.

Hopefully there will still be the races we've got today but judging by how popular it's been the past few years to have mixed-race babies i assume that in the next decades we'll have more of them than usual.

White, if that's not good enough then it's what people would call European Latino.
I searched for European sub-races for a bit and found i'm an Atlanto-Mediterranid.
Don't understand what you're asking in that last part.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature