00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

vestik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

BASS LIMITING

1,116 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 14:13:19

When I'm listening to a track being produced, when I turn the bass up in my car on the radio adjustment it comes out super not clean. But it just sounds.. good without it. I was wondering if theres a magic tool to smoothen out the sub to sound more professional or more clean at all levels as if a DJ would adjust it on his mixer. The mix seems fine, but its one of the few things that make the track not.. professional. Any suggestions?

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 14:28:52

turn everything lower than 60hz down 3 decibels for starters and adjust from there.

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 17:35:51

At 12/8/15 02:28 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: turn everything lower than 60hz down 3 decibels for starters and adjust from there.

Thank you for the advice. I will play around with it. We just posted the song I'm talking about, but its.. really not that big of a deal, I'm just a perfectionist, you know? I want it to sound good in a car where people got the bass already turned up on their system/eq.

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 17:43:42

I actually just heard that, nice enough tune but it does sound fairly muted overal.

The most obvious sharp cut to make would be 20hz as that's where sub bass rumble if nowhere else typically tends to come from, another sweet spot concerning bass in general it's actually it's mids or rather your lower mids so check out what both cutting and boosting 315 does to the overal mix.

BBS Signature

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 17:47:45

At 12/8/15 05:43 PM, AliceMako wrote: I actually just heard that, nice enough tune but it does sound fairly muted overal.

The most obvious sharp cut to make would be 20hz as that's where sub bass rumble if nowhere else typically tends to come from, another sweet spot concerning bass in general it's actually it's mids or rather your lower mids so check out what both cutting and boosting 315 does to the overal mix.

So anything under 20hz remove from the mix all together? Or just from the sub-bass side? Boosting 315 can be achieved in the Master track mixer, or on the bass channel itself?

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 17:53:10 (edited 2015-12-08 17:53:55)

At 12/8/15 05:47 PM, Karmakosm wrote:
So anything under 20hz remove from the mix all together? Or just from the sub-bass side? Boosting 315 can be achieved in the Master track mixer, or on the bass channel itself?

Well if this your finalised track i'd say in your master bus or master channel or whatever applies in the daw you're using.

If that doesn't change anything dramatically then odds are it's actually not ready as is and you'll have to go back and adjust individual channels untill you get a clearer mix, you know garbage goes in garbage comes out.

Without a clear reference i can't tell you if it's just the channel you have your bass instrument in or perhaps multiple channels are competing for the same lower end frequencies thus bloating your lower end and causing audible rumble, you'll have to sniff this out yourself :3

BBS Signature

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 17:59:29

One really simple, if a bit heavy handed way of checking this would be to high pass absolutely everything apart from the bass channel while you tweak it and to then re-introduce the rest of the low end of the other tracks one by one to hear which if any are not playing nice together.

Then eq and/or compress or adjust levels as needed untill the overal mix gets it's breathing space back. If there's no way to do that in a subtle fashion you may want to resort to sidechaining or eq ducking in select spots.

BBS Signature

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 20:01:06

At 12/8/15 05:59 PM, AliceMako wrote: One really simple, if a bit heavy handed way of checking this would be to high pass absolutely everything apart from the bass channel while you tweak it and to then re-introduce the rest of the low end of the other tracks one by one to hear which if any are not playing nice together.

Then eq and/or compress or adjust levels as needed untill the overal mix gets it's breathing space back. If there's no way to do that in a subtle fashion you may want to resort to sidechaining or eq ducking in select spots.

Looking at it turned into a real twisted rubix cube. Im working on a new one and will use maximus to check highs and lows individually and see whats in the wrong spot. For now I guess Ill just stay content with it. Ill just call it a chip filter this time.

Appreciate the advice!

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-08 22:44:06 (edited 2015-12-08 22:46:08)

At 12/8/15 08:01 PM, Karmakosm wrote:
At 12/8/15 05:59 PM, AliceMako wrote: One really simple, if a bit heavy handed way of checking this would be to high pass absolutely everything apart from the bass channel while you tweak it and to then re-introduce the rest of the low end of the other tracks one by one to hear which if any are not playing nice together.

Looking at it turned into a real twisted rubix cube. Im working on a new one and will use maximus to check highs and lows individually and see whats in the wrong spot. For now I guess Ill just stay content with it. Ill just call it a chip filter this time.

Appreciate the advice!

The best advice I can give is to make sure your kick is not causing the low end to spike, since maximus is not great for equalizing multiple channels at once since it just tries to make everything so loud. Sometimes its good to make a 'top bass' of a higher bass, and a 'low bass' of a very deep, almost 60-90hz sub to help get a bass you can hear, and one you can feel at the same time without causing a total distortion of the entire low end.
A good free VST for limiting is LoudMax by Thomas Mundt. If you cant fix it with maximus try some free M/M VSTs.

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-11 20:52:02

Actually I found the solution to my problem which wasn't so much a magic number, it was more of a compressing issue. I needed to use a compressor in the master track and raise the volume to make my song sound good when I adjusted the treble and bass in my car.

Response to BASS LIMITING 2015-12-11 20:53:49

At 12/8/15 05:43 PM, AliceMako wrote:

"The most obvious sharp cut to make would be 20hz as that's where sub bass rumble if nowhere else typically tends to come from, another sweet spot concerning bass in general it's actually it's mids or rather your lower mids so check out what both cutting and boosting 315 does to the overal mix."

This is very good advice thank you