00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Disney nixes Slave Leia

4,194 Views | 47 Replies

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-08 18:36:59

I think I know why.

Disney nixes Slave Leia

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-08 18:46:35

At 11/8/15 06:36 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I think I know why.

Holy shit. I'm dying!

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-08 18:47:38

See? This is exactly my point! She killed one of the main villains of the franchise while in a very vulnerable position. Badassitude established.

Actually, I'd like help settling this. A buddy of mine said that Jabba was more an appetizer villain but I say anyone Han Solo spends two movies running from is fairly intimidating.
True, he doesn't put up much of a physical fight. But he was never meant to. He's a crime lord. He's the one pulling the strings of all those guys who have action scenes.
Side note: In the novelization it's heavily implied Leia used the Force to enhance her strength in that scene.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-08 19:40:19

At 11/8/15 09:39 AM, Ericho wrote: This is why Disney bought Marvel and not DC. While Marvel certainly has scantily clad women, DC is even more blatant about it with Power Girl and Starfire practically dressed as strippers. Invisible Woman's cleavage window was a short lived thing.

Actually, DC is owned by Warner already. Marvel was relatively independant for a long time. Pointless quibble in terms of this thread though.

Though I have to confess I'm still surprised that Lucas sold the franchise to Disney. Guess he figures he has enough money.

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-08 20:59:05

At 11/8/15 06:47 PM, stafffighter wrote: Actually, I'd like help settling this. A buddy of mine said that Jabba was more an appetizer villain but I say anyone Han Solo spends two movies running from is fairly intimidating.
True, he doesn't put up much of a physical fight. But he was never meant to. He's a crime lord. He's the one pulling the strings of all those guys who have action scenes.
Side note: In the novelization it's heavily implied Leia used the Force to enhance her strength in that scene.

My husband is enough of a nerd that maybe I should ask him. Oddly enough, he got compliments on his AT-AT Walker shirt at the gas station the other day--or, as I call it, the "I'm not getting laid" shirt.

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 10:31:56

At 11/3/15 07:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-3/rumor-disney-kill-any-future-star-wars-merch-featuring-slave-leia

I'm going to make my stance on this issue a simple one. She strangled a giant slug to death while wearing that outfit. How is that anti-feminist?

That's 3rd wave radfems for you. Everything is anti-feminist to them unless they come up with it themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

At 11/4/15 03:05 PM, Swag-in-a-Bag wrote: I love when chix do Princess Leia cosplays; shits aw3some

My response to that cosplay (this will piss some feminazis off):

Disney nixes Slave Leia

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 21:55:24

Oh Disney will love this picture. I was looking up #slaveleia on Twitter, and here's one of the cosplay images I came across: 4 Disney princesses as slaves (dat' Jasmine and Elsa):

Disney nixes Slave Leia

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 22:01:30

At 11/9/15 09:55 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Oh Disney will love this picture. I was looking up #slaveleia on Twitter, and here's one of the cosplay images I came across: 4 Disney princesses as slaves (dat' Jasmine and Elsa):

Pocahontas (I think) does NOT have me convinced...

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 22:06:24

At 11/9/15 10:01 PM, Bit wrote: Pocahontas (I think) does NOT have me convinced...

Not... um... 'native' enough for you?

not racist

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 22:12:05

At 11/9/15 10:06 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 11/9/15 10:01 PM, Bit wrote: Pocahontas (I think) does NOT have me convinced...
Not... um... 'native' enough for you?

not racist

Not even close.

If I had a native challenge on my Community Fap thread and someone posted her, they would lose.

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 22:16:16

At 11/9/15 10:12 PM, Bit wrote: Not even close.

If I had a native challenge on my Community Fap thread and someone posted her, they would lose.

That does make me wonder about race and people that cosplay someone not of their ethnicity. As an example, a white girl dressing as a drow elf. Would a latina or black woman get grief for cosplaying as Slave Leia?

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-09 22:23:31

At 11/9/15 10:16 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 11/9/15 10:12 PM, Bit wrote: Not even close.

That does make me wonder about race and people that cosplay someone not of their ethnicity. As an example, a white girl dressing as a drow elf. Would a latina or black woman get grief for cosplaying as Slave Leia?

It wouldn't be such a deal if not for the fact that the other three women look like their characters.

I couldn't even tell who the third one was without looking at the necklace. She's the odd woman out, unfortunately.

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-10 01:35:49

I am okay with this statement. lol

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-10 16:51:37

I approve this statement.

The modern feminist movement is toxic, I think we're all in agreement there. But what makes it worse is that they dismiss Princess Leia strangling Jabba while in a go-go outfit solely because of the outfit, which virtually defeats their own cause and completely misses the point at the same time.

This is exactly why 3rd wave feminism is viewed so negatively and should die a ignominious death, and it would also help that everyone would stop giving them a platform to spew their rhetoric, and now you know why gender equality is viewed as a total pipe dream.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-10 17:17:42

At 11/10/15 12:15 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 11/3/15 07:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: I'm going to make my stance on this issue a simple one. She strangled a giant slug to death while wearing that outfit. How is that anti-feminist?
The SWJs hate Slave Leia because she killed one of their own.

I'll let you think on that for a minute. I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about. (Hint: It has nothing to do with Jabba being fat)

Because he's a criminal? Because he's an extortionist? Because he's immune to reason? Because the immunity of the internet inflates the ego exactly as much as keeping your frozen enemy in your living room? Because he's vaguely Italian and would have business wearing a fedora? Seriously, I'm more mad we lost a good hat style to those guys than anything else.

I just have this to say. From my cold, dead hand, Mouse.

Disney nixes Slave Leia

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-11 09:20:11

At 11/9/15 09:55 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Oh Disney will love this picture. I was looking up #slaveleia on Twitter, and here's one of the cosplay images I came across: 4 Disney princesses as slaves (dat' Jasmine and Elsa):

I've seen lots of fanart like this, but never any actual cosplay. Rowr.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-11 19:11:56

This is an excellent picture. It would only be better if all there princesses were included.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Disney nixes Slave Leia 2015-11-12 21:13:26 (edited 2015-11-12 21:14:16)

Blaster just posted an article today supporting the rumored action and linking to a previous article arguing against it. It's an interesting point-counterpoint. As it's important in this context I will point out that both articles are written by women. The titles should make it clear which is which.
While my opinion has been stated but one argument in the anti slave Leia article struck me as particularly galling. That in context it shows her at her most vulnerable, as a victim. To that I can only quote Stephen Universe. "A hero has to struggle" In this incredibly vulnerable position she shows her strength hasn't been denied to her and kills the villain.
Also, the direct correlation to actual slavery was unfortunate.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-6/why-disney-pulling-slave-leia-would-be-wrong-move-women

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-12/why-disney-should-retire-slave-leia-merchandise

BBS Signature