00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

809118566 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Critique -- First time

466 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Art Critique -- First time 2015-10-23 04:07:56

So . . . this is my first time asking for a critique here on NG. Thought I do this since I have four art pieces on my profile now.

Anyway, I'm creating a background for my Tumblr page, and I made this piece in a 3-point perspective. Was a pain in the butt, but I need someone's second set of eyes to see if the perspective looks alright.

Art Critique -- First time

At 10/23/15 04:07 AM, VLanimate wrote: So . . . this is my first time asking for a critique here on NG. Thought I do this since I have four art pieces on my profile now.

Anyway, I'm creating a background for my Tumblr page, and I made this piece in a 3-point perspective. Was a pain in the butt, but I need someone's second set of eyes to see if the perspective looks alright.

well, the perspective looks unusual but from the first look i'm pretty sure the perspective is right. depending on what effect you want to achieve, this can be good or bad. without the context of this picture it's hard to tell.
if you want to give everything a heavy, confusing almost depressing feeling you should definitely keep it that way. the perspective, the colours and his reflection really add to that impression.
if that wasn't your goal you should change it though

edit: but you should give his face and hand a second go

Response to Art Critique -- First time 2015-10-23 08:08:55

I'm going to give you a tip that I give myself very often, as it is very hard to neglect.

Don't spend a lot of time on drawings until you have a lot of knowledge about fundamentals, keep making one hour speedpaints and if you can't make it fully rendered... Just do the linedrawing, or basic greyscale.

When you finally master perspective, composition, lighting, anatomy and all the other fundamentals you will have a faster technique alone with better end results.

Response to Art Critique -- First time 2015-10-23 11:12:17

The only thing that really bothers me in this image is that the gentleman's eyes are too close together. A "realistic" face has 5 equal segments, skin|eye|skin|eye|skin. Some cartoons styles skip the outer segments, but the middle segment needs to be very close to the same width as the eyes or it will look strange.

At 10/23/15 11:12 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The only thing that really bothers me in this image is that the gentleman's eyes are too close together. A "realistic" face has 5 equal segments, skin|eye|skin|eye|skin. Some cartoons styles skip the outer segments, but the middle segment needs to be very close to the same width as the eyes or it will look strange.

Okay, I'll give that a try. Though I've seen examples of the equal-segment rule, and it looked proportionally weird being too all balanced in my opinion. Guess that I kept seeing too much cartoons to apply this here. Thanks for the info -- I'll put it to use.

At 10/23/15 05:04 AM, snickity wrote: if you want to give everything a heavy, confusing almost depressing feeling you should definitely keep it that way. the perspective, the colours and his reflection really add to that impression.
if that wasn't your goal you should change it though

Yes! That's right; I am trying to convey a depressing mood here, so that's a thumbs-up at least. And I'll admit this; I'm not the best person with anatomy, so I wouldn't be surprised about the head and face. Still, thanks for noticing it.

At 10/23/15 08:08 AM, Acrylla wrote: I'm going to give you a tip that I give myself very often, as it is very hard to neglect.

Don't spend a lot of time on drawings until you have a lot of knowledge about fundamentals, keep making one hour speedpaints and if you can't make it fully rendered... Just do the linedrawing, or basic greyscale.

When you finally master perspective, composition, lighting, anatomy and all the other fundamentals you will have a faster technique alone with better end results.

Hmm, I'll give that a try. I know for myself I'm confident in my composition and my grayscale; just not too much on anatomy, color, and maybe perspective.

For this piece, I was hoping to improve more on my color because in the past, my coloring works were pretty shoddy.

Response to Art Critique -- First time 2015-10-23 13:10:14

At 10/23/15 12:54 PM, VLanimate wrote:
At 10/23/15 11:12 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The only thing that really bothers me in this image is that the gentleman's eyes are too close together. A "realistic" face has 5 equal segments, skin|eye|skin|eye|skin. Some cartoons styles skip the outer segments, but the middle segment needs to be very close to the same width as the eyes or it will look strange.
Okay, I'll give that a try. Though I've seen examples of the equal-segment rule, and it looked proportionally weird being too all balanced in my opinion. Guess that I kept seeing too much cartoons to apply this here. Thanks for the info -- I'll put it to use.

Well, I can see you're not going for exact realism, so I don't expect you to use an exact equal segment rule, but measuring something close to that before drawing will help keep eyes from wandering around the face. Exactly equal segments can look weird in cartoons. We notice the eyes more than other facial features, but since cartoon eyes do not always register as real eyes, we sometimes don't trigger the same extra notice when looking at a drawing of a face. Making the eyes a little bigger or clearer can counteract that, so making the eyes bigger than 1/5 the face width sometimes is okay, you just want to make sure you're close.

I usually make sure the eye is centered as though it were following 1/5 equal rule, and then make it a little bigger. You can see on my logo that I don't try to be very strict about it myself.

Response to Art Critique -- First time 2015-10-24 10:53:28

Nice monochromatic color palette! I think your perspective is working out fine. The face is super cartoony in a way that the rest of the drawing isn't, so some more work on the rendering there would improve the piece as a whole.

Your lighting is kind of ambiguous with no clear direction to it, but for this piece I think you can get away with it- it seems dim and diffused in a way that works alright. A few tiny white highlights on the chair to match the highlights in his hair would be good though.