00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nitpickers assemble!

638 Views | 10 Replies

Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-11 17:56:19

In the Ridley Scott film The Martian, our hero uses a plastic tarp to cover a 6 ft diameter opening in his potato-growing habitat, then proceeds to repressurise it. That's rich! Even at a measly third of the 12.6 psi (4 psi is approximately the pressure at the summit of Mt Everest) they showed on screen in his video logs, that tarp would have to resist over 8 tons of force. Goddamn, NASA, I want one of those tarps!

It seems that a lot of reviews of the movie pointed out that a massive storm on Mars would be like a light breeze on Earth, but taking license with that is acceptable in my opinion.

Let's point out plot holes or flaws in films that just made you smack your face through the back of your head.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-11 18:11:34

At 10/11/15 06:02 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Furthermore, if you're allergic to water, why invade a planet that is 70% water?
makes no sense

I have a feeling their space program really fucked up on that one, and a lot of aliens lost their jobs.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-11 18:12:48 (edited 2015-10-11 18:13:30)

I think my favorite is in Star Trek II when Khan reveals that Ceti Alpha VI exploded. There should be clear evidence of this.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-11 18:30:18

At 10/11/15 05:56 PM, Scintillating wrote: In the Ridley Scott film The Martian, our hero uses a plastic tarp to cover a 6 ft diameter opening in his potato-growing habitat, then proceeds to repressurise it. That's rich! Even at a measly third of the 12.6 psi (4 psi is approximately the pressure at the summit of Mt Everest) they showed on screen in his video logs, that tarp would have to resist over 8 tons of force. Goddamn, NASA, I want one of those tarps!

In the book, it's "habitat canvas" designed specifically to be used for repairing holes in the habitat. He doesn't use duct tape, he uses a resin which is specifically designed to seal surface breaches in all sorts of surfaces of the habitat to make them airtight.

Making the stuff translucent for the movie was just an aesthetic decision by set design. In the movie, it's what looks like translucent plastic. They still call it "hab canvas" though, so the assumption you should make is that it's a much stronger woven material embedded in a flexible plastic substrate. This could be done using fiberglass.

It seems that a lot of reviews of the movie pointed out that a massive storm on Mars would be like a light breeze on Earth, but taking license with that is acceptable in my opinion.

Some planetary scientist from NASA was talking about that, so yeah.

Let's point out plot holes or flaws in films that just made you smack your face through the back of your head.

In the 2010 version of True Grit, Mattie and Rooser Cogburn take the weakest and most worn down pony available, leaving La Boeuf at the camp on top of an overlook and told he would be sent help, despite the fact that there were bunch of perfectly healthy horses standing around without riders.

In Interstellar, Brand's soliloquy implies that love exists as fundamental force of nature on another plane or dimension, which implies to the audience that it is a real explanation for the final act, despite the speech actually being a metaphor for the science underlying the final act.

Just an 02er.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-11 18:41:27

At 10/11/15 06:12 PM, generalwinter wrote: I think my favorite is in Star Trek II when Khan reveals that Ceti Alpha VI exploded. There should be clear evidence of this.

And why did Chekov act like he knew Khan? He wasn't stationed on the Enterprise during the events of Space Seed.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 00:23:42

At 10/11/15 06:41 PM, Bit wrote:
At 10/11/15 06:12 PM, generalwinter wrote: I think my favorite is in Star Trek II when Khan reveals that Ceti Alpha VI exploded. There should be clear evidence of this.
And why did Chekov act like he knew Khan? He wasn't stationed on the Enterprise during the events of Space Seed.

Actually, Space Seed would be a good name for a dirty movie.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 11:38:53

As a space enthusiast myself I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Maybe I'll nitpick, maybe I'll be impressed wih some of the proposed solutions they come up with (our biggest roadblock for a mission to mars, after all, is the lack of technology for managing waste), but either way I'm going in there completely unbiased.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 13:36:22

Every second of the film Armageddon caused me to do a self E. Honda thousand hand facepalm.

There not one part of this this movie that does not insult the viewers intelligence.

I stand firm on this.

come at me bro

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 22:50:59

At 10/12/15 10:27 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/12/15 10:21 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: in the dark knight rises, on bane's plane, there is a corpse in a body bag with blood being pumped back into it from a living host.

there is no elaboration as far as i know as to why they are putting live blood in a dead body, and it's clearly flowing into the corpse.. not into the living person from the corpse.
the opening scene is probably one of the most well-examined scenes in history now

none of it makes sense

Are you mocking him?

The extremely pale corpse is a lookalike for the guy being kidnapped. It has been drained of its blood. The blood is being pumped from the kidnapped guy into the cadaver in order to make the crash seem realistic in forensic analysis. Blood will be drawn from the corpses and DNA tested to identify the deceased.

I am not surprised that the mentally ill guy doesn't get this… but you, Cordyceps?

Just an 02er.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 23:11:16

At 10/12/15 11:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: blah

Literally nobody cuts off pieces of a corpse to test its DNA. Literally every forensic DNA test is done using blood when blood is available. Literally. Also figuratively.

Just an 02er.

Response to Nitpickers assemble! 2015-10-12 23:32:26

Are we hating on Occupy Gotham? Sweet

1. Bruce was retired from Batmaning ever since the injury from the last movie he was well enough to evade police with.

2. The people of Gotham instantly believed both that the letter Bane read was really by Gordon and that the things said within about Harvey Dent were true.

3. When they hold up the stock exchange and the cops don't do anything because "That's not my money in there." Yes, it is. Everyone's money is in there. Does the Gotham P.D have a retirement fund? Then very directly your money is in there.

4. Gordon is expendable because he's a wartime hero and now it's peacetime. Symbolic.

5. Despite hating the idle wealthy Catwoman still retires to the south of France with Bruce.

6. Robin's name is actually Robin. Anyone watching a Batman movie understands Robin is just his work name.

7. In no way was this a Batman movie This was Christopher Nolan getting too big to be told no and making a political allegory with licensed characters.
Remember in Dark Knight how Batman tapped all the cell phones, in a parallel to overreaching government over-site? In the end he destroys the machine, giving up the emergency power granted to him, something actual presidents from either side don't tend to do. That was both clever and organic. It was something Batman would do. It was shown that with some restraint and respect to the characters he's working with he could have still made his fucking point. But instead he decided to shove allegory down our throats and the fact that that philosophy infected Man of Steel just pisses me off more.

Did I miss any?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature