00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creating a Legal Parody Game

1,497 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-10 22:19:23

Anyone know the specifics of how much you'd have to change an idea to be able to make a lawyer-friendly parody of a game?

For instance if I wanted to make Blurnic the Armadillo, a platformer where you run fast, curl into a ball, and collect... Uh... Hoop-shaped pasta. There are 7 Carnage Stones that you can collect in bonus levels and collecting all of them will let you turn into Power Blurnic, using your pasta as a resource to power the transformation. The stages have different themes and a bunch of animals who have been turned into... Um... Mythical beasts, through magic, by the mad sorcerer Mage Pearguy (sometimes referred to as Magicnik). Every few stages you have a showdown with Pearguy while he pilots a new magical construct of his with an obvious weakness that Blurnic can defeat by jumping into. In Blurnic 2 I'd give Blurnic a young coyote sidekick with a beneficial birth defect.

So, ignoring how unpopular it would be and assuming I could accomplish any other steps, is Blurnic the Armadillo a completely legal idea that I could actually sell on Steam or something for an indie game price? If not, how much would I have to change for it to be unsueable?

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-11 01:55:09

Lawyer-friendly? You'd literally have to consult a lawyer on that one. I mean if you absolutely want to cover all your bases, consulting a lawyer is the only way.

As for parody, what you've just described is absolutely *NOT* parody! Please look up what parody is before using the parody as accepted fair use exception to what might otherwise be copyright infringement.

As to making a similar or even almost identical game, while not parody and not allowed under that exception, believe it or not there's a good chance this is allowed! See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_clone

You cannot copy the sprites, music, exact level layout, or story. It seems there is no such requirement on gameplay as there is a long history of games literally copying the gameplay of existing games without the permission of the original game makers, and it actually holding up in court!

Could someone sue you? Absolutely! Nothing is "unsueable". Question should be, if someone sues you, and it goes to court, will the court rule in your favor? If you think you might get sued, you should definitely consult a lawyer and be prepared to go to court and fight it if you think you have a case.

Would a clone game be allowed on Steam or some particular other gaming network? The depends entirely on what that network allows. And you'll have to abide by whatever their rules are if you want to make a game they sell. This is true whether you release a game on Steam, Android, iOS, XBox, or anything else that is tightly controlled by a single entity who makes the calls as to what is or isn't allowed.

Even if it wasn't allowed on Steam though, there's a good chance you could make the game, host and sell it yourself (for example through your own website), and remain entirely legal, but again consult a lawyer if in doubt.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-11 02:39:16

I could have worded my post a little better. What about a game like Kill the Plumber (which you could search for here on Newgrounds) which is very clear in what it's referencing, though the gameplay's been changed up a bit. Suppose that author wanted to make a version with 200 stages and sell it on steam. How likely is it that they'd have to go to court? That would be a more precise example of the kind of thing I'm curious about.

Secondly, what if I had a character who seemed original at first, like Richard the Badass Biker who rode his motorcycle around beating up bad guys and carried weapons in his backpack, then later I told people that Richard and his backpack were inspired by Batman and his utility belt, which is why Richard has no parents and frowns at people a lot and is voiced by Kevin Conroy. Would that admission alone get me sued?

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-11 14:38:36

you can make anything as long as it is considered promoting the IP and you don't make a profit.

Otherwise if your idea goes against the IP holders image of the IP (for example: a kid show into violence) that would be considered defaming and promoting a false image of the IP.

On another note, you can make anything your own legally by doing the following:
1. change the characters' names
2. make a change the characters' look
3. change the title
4. don't claim to be the IP

for example: there are hundreds of Power Rangers rip-offs, we can all see that, but their not power rangers nor do they claim to be them.

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-11 23:12:25

At 10/11/15 02:38 PM, Patcoola wrote: you can make anything as long as it is considered promoting the IP and you don't make a profit.

That's not true at all and you shouldn't mislead people like that. You can make a completely not-for-profit tribute game and still be sued by the IP-holders, and they would likely win that in court.

Any time you make a tribute game which isn't parody, if you use the official names/likenesses of characters, story, etc... you can be sued and the person who sues you can win. Especially so if you directly lift, for example, sprites, sound, music, etc from the original, but even if you draw and make everything yourself you definitely can be in legal trouble over it *if* the IP-holders choose to pursue it.

There's plenty of stuff on Newgrounds that could get the authors in trouble *if* the IP-holders chose to pursue it, for exactly these reasons, for example Ganon's Invaders

Notice how it completely lifts sprites from The Legend of Zelda? Notice how it isn't a parody? Notice how it directly makes use of official character names such as Zelda and Ganon? That person made a risk by uploading that onto Newgrounds as Nintendo could sue them, and win, if they wanted to.

for example: there are hundreds of Power Rangers rip-offs, we can all see that, but their not power rangers nor do they claim to be them.

Are you serious? The Power Rangers are *themselves* a ripoff of Voltron! The similarities are too close to be "coincidence". All of the colors of all of the characters are identical. Which color corresponds to which position (for example Red = Leader) are identical. Both involve riding around in mechs which can combine to make a super robot. Also, Voltron is a hell of a lot older than Power Rangers.

Sure, Voltron was a cartoon and Power Rangers was more live action but that doesn't matter -- it's still a ripoff of the ideas from it.

Anyway, you can make tribute games which aren't parody at your own risk -- you have no legal protections and are completely at the mercy of the IP-holders *not* suing you. You can make tribute games that *are* parody, provided you don't copy sprites, sound effects, music, etc... and generally be in the clear. Hell, there's some edge cases where you can use brief copies of sprites, sound effects, or music and still be considered "fair use" but there are restrictions on that and so you're far better off just not opening that can of worms to begin with.

Yes, there's lots of content on Newgrounds that is at-risk, some moreso than others. If you don't want to be at-risk, don't copy sprites, sound effects, or music, be sure to rename all your characters, make slight design changes, don't copy level layouts, and don't claim it is sponsored or endorsed by the original IP holders, and then you can probably do what you want and be fine. Again though, if in doubt, consult a lawyer. Seriously.

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-12 01:53:09

At 10/11/15 11:12 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 10/11/15 02:38 PM, Patcoola wrote: you can make anything as long as it is considered promoting the IP and you don't make a profit.
That's not true at all and you shouldn't mislead people like that. You can make a completely not-for-profit tribute game and still be sued by the IP-holders, and they would likely win that in court.

Well yeah if you steal art and sounds, that will be wrong if you're not using for personal or educational use.

Ultimately it is up to the IP holder if they want you to stop. (which is almost impossible to enforce if the violation is not doing harm to the IP)

However, there is something called the fair use act, which allows everyone to use an IP under conditions.

Like I said before, fan work is considered FREE PROMOTION for the IP holder. You don't see Lucas Arts suing Star Wars Fans for fan created content or fan film edits.

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-12 02:02:28

At 10/11/15 02:38 PM, Patcoola wrote:
Like I said before, fan work is considered FREE PROMOTION for the IP holder. You don't see Lucas Arts suing Star Wars Fans for fan created content or fan film edits.

Note: im not saying it's ok to steal or directly copy an IP. We have the fair use act for a reason and it shouldn't be abused.

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-12 05:16:16

At 10/12/15 01:53 AM, Patcoola wrote: Well yeah if you steal art and sounds, that will be wrong if you're not using for personal or educational use.

Ultimately it is up to the IP holder if they want you to stop. (which is almost impossible to enforce if the violation is not doing harm to the IP)

However, there is something called the fair use act, which allows everyone to use an IP under conditions.

Those fair use exceptions are more restrictive than you think. Following your advice, someone would find themselves in "iffy" water. While it's true that ultimately the IP-holder must follow through if they wish to enforce anything, and oftentimes they choose not to, still the OP did ask to keep things strictly legal.

Even if you drew all the artwork yourself and made all the sounds and music yourself, but you used the official characters that belonged to someone else, provided it wasn't covered by one of the few fair use exceptions, they could sue you and win money if they wanted to. This is why tributes, except for parodies and in cases where a company has publicly stated they allow tributes of particular IP or where the licensing allows it, are always at risk. They're never "safe".

The Lucas Arts case is a special case though -- they tend to choose to allow it although they are in no way legally obligated to, unless they've made a formal declaration of it being allowed, which that I don't know. But point being it's mostly at their mercy.

But if you start using Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck stuff, especially if your game gets popular, and you better believe Disney will be down your throat. And now that Disney owns Lucas Arts, Star Wars fan material becomes a more risky venture unless there's some formal declaration of its allowance somewhere, which I am unaware of such a thing.

At 10/11/15 02:39 AM, Cherubas wrote: I could have worded my post a little better. What about a game like Kill the Plumber (which you could search for here on Newgrounds) which is very clear in what it's referencing, though the gameplay's been changed up a bit. Suppose that author wanted to make a version with 200 stages and sell it on steam. How likely is it that they'd have to go to court? That would be a more precise example of the kind of thing I'm curious about.

Kill the Plumber is indeed parody which uses its own hand-drawn graphics and music. If it went to court it would likely be deemed in the clear and an allowance of fair use via parody exception.

Secondly, what if I had a character who seemed original at first, like Richard the Badass Biker who rode his motorcycle around beating up bad guys and carried weapons in his backpack, then later I told people that Richard and his backpack were inspired by Batman and his utility belt, which is why Richard has no parents and frowns at people a lot and is voiced by Kevin Conroy. Would that admission alone get me sued?

It would depend how similar they were. You can draw inspiration but just make sure it's different enough it isn't obvious plagiarism.

Motorcycle dude with weapons in his backpack? Seems generic enough I doubt it would be a problem -- Batman would hardly have a monopoly on "motorcycle dude with weapons in backpack". But the closer the similarities the more iffy it becomes. If all of the villains were basically Batman universe clones, and your Richard the Badass Biker was an eccentric millionaire who had a lair then, yes, you might have a problem.

Don't copy stories. Don't copy names of characters. As I've explained however, copying basic gameplay mechanics, strangely, seems to be allowed though, which is why there's so many clones of so many games and not much the original game authors can do about it. Refer to the clone game link I posted earlier and read that page for the information you might need on this issue.

So in a nutshell you can probably make a basically the same game, but with changed level layout, changed character designs, changed storyline, changed music and sound effects, and probably be in the clear. Whether someone would allow that on their app network is up to them. They could disallow whatever they want for any reasons, even if it's legal. You are at their mercy if you wish to use their services, period. You don't have to use their services though and could choose to independently host and sell it yourself through your own website.

Let's just put it this way as to how uncreative and absolutely unoriginal modern popular games can be though. And yet they can be vastly popular despite being complete ripoffs made for a quick buck. Take Angry Birds as the prime example.

Okay, so Angry Birds is just a ripoff of Crush the Castle. They absolutely stole that idea from that game. But Crush the Castle itself is a ripoff of far better games such as Worms. Worms is a ripoff of the old DOS game Scorched Earth. Scorched Earth itself is a ripoff (though it improves greatly on) the old GORILLAS.BAS and so on. And so yet people are crazy about Angry Birds but know nothing about the far better games it ripped off. Ditto with other popular modern games.

Response to Creating a Legal Parody Game 2015-10-15 11:30:59

Not really making a parody game, if it were a parody it would be protected under fair use, but what you're doing is making a game inspired by another. I have nothing to add, just thought you should know.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature