00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with music licensing

1,341 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help with music licensing 2015-10-04 12:12:33

Hey,
I am making a short 4 - 5 minute video for my university course. I was wondering if using music from newgrounds would be acceptable use, as I don't know what classes as commercial use of music.

The video will be uploaded to youtube as unlisted, and will only be used for submission. Namely this is where I am getting confused 'You may not use this work for commercial purposes without making specific arrangements with the artist UNLESS your work is a web-based game or animation, in which case you may use this freely.'

Cheers for any help.

Response to Help with music licensing 2015-10-04 15:07:37

This "web-based game or animation" thing should really be cleared up. Second time this has come up. As long as it's a non-commercial project and you follow the Creative Commons rules you'll be fine.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with music licensing 2015-10-06 14:31:14

At 10/4/15 12:12 PM, Haru123190 wrote: Hey,
I am making a short 4 - 5 minute video for my university course. I was wondering if using music from newgrounds would be acceptable use, as I don't know what classes as commercial use of music.

The video will be uploaded to youtube as unlisted, and will only be used for submission. Namely this is where I am getting confused 'You may not use this work for commercial purposes without making specific arrangements with the artist UNLESS your work is a web-based game or animation, in which case you may use this freely.'

Cheers for any help.

Some artists, like myself, use a different license found on newgrounds. Check inside of the descriptions to see if people added some extra licensing agreements or not. I allow anyone to use my audio in their projects free of charge as long as it is not a major commercial interest. You might see something that reads like this:

++++++++++++++
Want to use this in your work of art?
If you want to use this in a movie, video game, or flash submission you already have my permission to use it. All that I ask is that I am able to at least play, and or see how my projects are used in your work free of charge. (Conditions below)
"Independent film makers" and "Independent Video Game developers" are FREE TO USE MY WORK in their works. But please contact me first! I might be able to rewrite my music to better suit the motion picture or your game!
That is right! I am not looking for a contract, I am looking for publicity for my work. I am not looking for royalties, I am looking for a CHALLENGE. If you'd like to offer me a contract that is cool, however I am looking to see my work actually make it out there somewhere.
If you like what you hear already you can use it free of charge from me. (Exclusion below)
"Commercial video game developers" and "commercial film makers" requires a contract, and or Royalties to be given to me.
That is all. Message me by PM if you have to but I would much rather see it here in the comment section. Sometimes I go months without ever checking anything on here so it is nice to see where this track ended up.
++++++++++++++