00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique My Monster

479 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique My Monster 2015-09-30 00:25:36

wanting to take my drawings to a more finished polished stage. take a look at this one and crit me on anything you think is even a little bit lacking, or you feel is just off or wrong.

Critique My Monster

Response to Critique My Monster 2015-10-01 17:41:51

At 9/30/15 12:25 AM, MariusUrban wrote: wanting to take my drawings to a more finished polished stage. take a look at this one and crit me on anything you think is even a little bit lacking, or you feel is just off or wrong.

I think the design and drawing itself was very well executed. You put a lot of quality and detail in the beast and the lighting and lava looks very complex. I'm certainly not an expert, but I might suggest a stronger contrast in color to bring out the lava a bit more. I hope you don't mind me editing your art to show what I mean. For all intents and purposes, I don't think you did anything wrong with this piece. Though you could try adding a more interesting background.

Critique My Monster

Response to Critique My Monster 2015-10-01 18:22:43

I agree. higher contrast would take this from great to incredible. I would put more black (volcanic glass, charcoal, ash) in the close foreground getting lighter towards it and on the back (with the same shading and structures you have, just darker). more black would really make the lava more vivid and brilliant. see this

Response to Critique My Monster 2015-10-01 18:39:04

At 10/1/15 05:41 PM, PresidentWeasel wrote:
At 9/30/15 12:25 AM, MariusUrban wrote: wanting to take my drawings to a more finished polished stage. take a look at this one and crit me on anything you think is even a little bit lacking, or you feel is just off or wrong.
I think the design and drawing itself was very well executed. You put a lot of quality and detail in the beast and the lighting and lava looks very complex. I'm certainly not an expert, but I might suggest a stronger contrast in color to bring out the lava a bit more. I hope you don't mind me editing your art to show what I mean. For all intents and purposes, I don't think you did anything wrong with this piece. Though you could try adding a more interesting background.

Thanks for that, adding higher contrast does effect the intensity in a very positive way. I usually have reservations towards getting too close to black because I'm the past I use it as a crutch to hide work I wasn't proud of or I didn't want to detail. But I see how it can swing in the other direction to enhance detail and contrast. I will throw a quick overlay layer or correction layer from now on to test how far I can push it. Thanks.

Response to Critique My Monster 2015-10-01 18:56:14

At 10/1/15 06:22 PM, richalds wrote: I agree. higher contrast would take this from great to incredible. I would put more black (volcanic glass, charcoal, ash) in the close foreground getting lighter towards it and on the back (with the same shading and structures you have, just darker). more black would really make the lava more vivid and brilliant. see this

And the idea of getting reference never crossed my mind for this. Getting photos of actual lava will probably close a lot of the gaps I feel this picture has. I will repost once I do the final pass

Response to Critique My Monster 2015-10-01 19:20:08

At 10/1/15 06:56 PM, MariusUrban wrote: I will repost once I do the final pass

cant wait