00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI?

574 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi all! I posted something similar a month back - my flash cartoon was lagging so bad I couldn't even view my in-progress work any more, it skipped so much.

Since then I got a new computer - Asus M32AD with 8 gigs of Ram, 3.60 ghz processor, much better than my last one. I ran my cartoon on it, and the first couple times it was amazing, no lag at all.

Now, suddenly, it's back, no idea why. It's like the lag slowly built the more times I ran it.

I'm trying a suggested workaround - my characters are made in Illustrator CS6, imported to Flash CS6. I've cut my cartoon and library down to just one scene, to see if this works before I rebuild the other scenes in separate files. I'm exporting the character's body parts as individual PNG's instead of just importing AI files.

The problem there is - Flash is blurring the heck out of my PNG's. I tried JPG's instead, and that's great for flat backgrounds. But for character body parts, it can't do transparency around them.

Any more recommendations, about the lag or what to do about my character art problems?

(For example - one of my characters is shown below. His body parts are separate and rotatable - torso, shoulder/bicep, forearm, hand, etc. Minus the background when he's imported, obviously.)

Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI?

Response to Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI? 2015-09-27 20:40:30

It seems that Flash is lagging because of the amount of PNGs, JPGs, AIs, or whatever images you've imported to the scene.

My question is that why didn't you draw those pieces from scratch in Flash?

At 9/27/15 06:39 PM, FUCKnowledge wrote:
The problem there is - Flash is blurring the heck out of my PNG's. I tried JPG's instead, and that's great for flat backgrounds. But for character body parts, it can't do transparency around them.

Response to Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI? 2015-09-28 19:01:12

Because I'm still a noob after eight months of trying? :)

I didn't realize it would cause a problem...so if I went back and drew over the pieces in Flash, and deleted all my imported pieces, the lag should disappear?

Response to Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI? 2015-09-28 19:37:13

Not going to guarantee promises, but with my fair-share of using Flash, I never ran into this sort of problem. Fact is that I never bothered importing images into Flash and using them like that. I always draw out those pieces.

So draw them out, turn each of those pieces into a symbol, and make sure each of those pieces are in their separate layer.

At 9/28/15 07:01 PM, FUCKnowledge wrote: Because I'm still a noob after eight months of trying? :)

I didn't realize it would cause a problem...so if I went back and drew over the pieces in Flash, and deleted all my imported pieces, the lag should disappear?

Response to Flash Lag - PNG vs JPG vs AI? 2015-09-29 15:18:24

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happens!