00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How does this drawing look?

715 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How does this drawing look? 2015-09-27 17:34:44

So yeah, there's this drawing I just started. Got any tips or anything, just leave a comment. I'm open for constructive criticism. CONSTRUCTIVE. :)

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-27 23:40:45

At 9/27/15 05:34 PM, Coolkitten13 wrote: So yeah, there's this drawing I just started. Got any tips or anything, just leave a comment. I'm open for constructive criticism. CONSTRUCTIVE. :)

I must ask first off, is he holding his hands on his chest or cracking his knuckles? It's a bit hard to tell.

Anyway, the main problem that I see is the proportion. The torso is pretty small compared to the legs. Of course bodies vary in proportion a bit, but generally the legs+feet are around the same length as the torso+head. Easy fix.

Also, the upper body seems a bit stiff. To your credit, he seems on balance and the legs flow nicely, but the torso is a bit board-like. Furthermore, the 'center' of his chest seems off-kilter; it's too far to the left. I'd adjust it and study the anatomy of the chest further.

Hope this helps!

The sane human being is satisfied that the bestthey can do at any given moment is the best they can do at any given moment. Such sanity is, unfortunately, rare.

- David Bayles

BBS Signature

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-28 00:52:18

My dislike of anthro art aside, this looks great for a drawing in this stage. I interpreted him as leaning back slightly with a bit of foreshortening going on so the proportions Necrosquelch mentioned don't bother me. I would love to see some shading indicating the light source indicated by the shadow, but I think you just haven't gotten to that point yet. Keep at it, it's looking good!

At 9/28/15 12:52 AM, lovingthedark wrote: My dislike of anthro art aside, this looks great for a drawing in this stage.

:0

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-28 11:03:21

At 9/28/15 12:52 AM, lovingthedark wrote: My dislike of anthro art aside, this looks great for a drawing in this stage. I interpreted him as leaning back slightly with a bit of foreshortening going on so the proportions Necrosquelch mentioned don't bother me. I would love to see some shading indicating the light source indicated by the shadow, but I think you just haven't gotten to that point yet. Keep at it, it's looking good!

I have no intentions of starting a fight, but the character would have to be leaning back pretty far for their body to be that foreshortened.

The sane human being is satisfied that the bestthey can do at any given moment is the best they can do at any given moment. Such sanity is, unfortunately, rare.

- David Bayles

BBS Signature

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-28 15:46:17

At 9/28/15 11:03 AM, Necrosquelch wrote: I have no intentions of starting a fight, but the character would have to be leaning back pretty far for their body to be that foreshortened.

When designing characters it is common practice (if not law) to warp proportions in order to better suit the characters personality, considering this is an anthro thing I take it he's not doing a study so the correct proportions aren't as important as the proportions suiting the character.
That being said the characters look fine so far, I agree the hands are a bit hard to read, I'd say go further with it and check back later in the process.

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-28 18:02:06

At 9/28/15 09:52 AM, 123mine123 wrote:

I still love you!

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-28 18:23:43

Here's a slightly updated version. Don't mind the arm. Lol Thanks for the comments guys! I'll keep them in mind as I try to fix this.

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-29 08:04:14

At 9/28/15 06:23 PM, Coolkitten13 wrote: Here's a slightly updated version. Don't mind the arm. Lol Thanks for the comments guys! I'll keep them in mind as I try to fix this.

sweet cool i hope you are still keen for some advice. i did a drawing for you because it is easier to demonstrate ideas. just a couple of things that you can definitely fix
- when doing a pose it is helpful for me to do the pose physically myself. i decided that your character was pushing his hand into his other hand. the structure you created in your version is angular. with two forces pushing in those directions it creates a force pushing straight up. doing the pose yourself you can see that your arms push together in a horizontal way that isn't moving in a direction because both forces are equal. if you push your fist together on the angle you done, your elbows crumple in

- look into foreshortening, these are things i keep in mind when i draw foreshortening. limbs are cylindrical and will overlap draw the closest thing first, then connect it to the body with a cylinder. make sure wrap your overlaps around the cylinder to describe the form.

- hips and legs, this was a problem i had for ages and i hope that me telling you now gets you aware. for the longest time i didnt draw my characters with definite shoulders. in your case it is the hips. what helped me was looking at the underlying structures., thats the skull and the skeleton. and knowing how to simplify them into simple shapes for your drawings resulting in your character looking like a plausible structure. knowing that is half the battle though you also then need to polish your proportion and posing skills (focusing on the structure made my drawings go super stiff) , take what you learn from studying the structure of the body and take it to a figure sketching site. the one i use is called pixellovely.com .warning there is nudity on the site. set the timer to one minute per photo and draw 20 pictures doing the math in my head that is errrrrrr ahhhhhh 20 mins?

doing the pose your self is super helpful to see were parts of your body line up eg how close your hands are to your face or neck in this pose.

i am super tired while writing this its 1 am so sorry if my sentences seem to ramble. but yeah pixellovely.com check it out
hope this helps.

Here's another updated drawing. It's getting there!

Response to How does this drawing look? 2015-09-29 20:05:33

Here's another drawing. The leg positioning was kinda difficult..But slowly I'm fixing it. :D Any tips would be helpful.

At 9/29/15 08:05 PM, Coolkitten13 wrote: Here's another drawing. The leg positioning was kinda difficult..But slowly I'm fixing it. :D Any tips would be helpful.

The lower part of the leg, the shins and the calves, are pretty big. I would recommend making them shorter and slightly slimmer.

Keep working though! You're doing a great job