00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrMeltingPoint just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thank you, Tom

539 Views | 10 Replies

Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 18:05:40

I just wanted to stop by and say: from the bottom of my heart - thank you, Tom Fulp.

Several years ago, I was just a kid. I remember wanting to play soccer so badly. Not because I loved soccer, because I didn't - but because I wanted to be SOMEONE. I wanted to be part of something. My mother, raising three kids alone, didn't have the ressources to sign me up for any sports, and I don't blame her. Even if she did sign me up, I honestly don't think, I would have gone. As a kid, I was shy and insecure and preferred to stay home rather than meet new people.
I remember stumbling into this site with my twin-brother. We were watching sprite movies (which were very popular at the time), and they eventually led us to Newgrounds. We were intrigued by the content, the creativity - and the community.
Before long, we had pirated our own copy of Flash 6 and started animating our very first sprite flicks. The feeling of submitting your very own content was indescribable. My first submission was blammed, but I didn't care.

We were hooked making short flash movies day and night, getting better every day. We started showing our content to friends and family and eventually the word began to spread. From nothing, we were suddenly something. Not soccer kids, not athletic kids - but entertainers.

Eventually, I became interested in programming. Within a month, I got sponsored. I started cooperating with tons of people, including my brother. We would pretend to be an actual game studie, sit and talk ideas and game design at the dinner table and then I would start coding and he would start drawing and animating.

Even though I don't make content any longer, and haven't for a while, the lessons I learned, the skills I acquired, the people I met - all because of Newgrounds - is part of who I am and follows me every single day.

Newgrounds got me into animation, programming, music, creativity, business, entertainment and tons of other fields. Newgrounds changed my life and has helped make me into the person I am today - and for that, I thank you.

(I apologize, that this is poorly written. English is not my first language)

TLDR; long semi-emotional story about how NG changed the life of OP

BBS Signature

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 18:12:02

This is why I love Newgrounds

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 18:14:19

Wow...such a great story. I guess Newgrounds TRULY changed your life.

It's always amazing to see someone get inspired like that...same here I always get inspired by seeing these great animations around here but I still can't and will never make animations.

BBS Signature

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 18:15:05

The feels

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 19:52:07 (edited 2015-09-25 19:52:48)

Damn dude, you're gonna make Tom cry.

@tomfulp

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 20:16:56

I-it's raining guys.

Thank you, Tom

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 20:26:31

Now I don't want to look at the BBS for the rest of the night because no topic will be better then this one.

I'm happy for you mang.

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-25 22:58:44

da feels.

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-26 02:00:46 (edited 2015-09-26 02:02:06)

I feel very much the same way. Back in ~1999, NG introduced me to a world I didn't even know existed. It was truly (new)groundbreaking stuff. I've always loved this site and it continues to inspire me to this day. I echo your thanks not just to Tom, but to everyone - the coders, artists, writers, musicians, animators and supporters - who have helped make NG the awesome site that it is and kept it alive all of these years.

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-26 03:05:43

At 9/25/15 06:12 PM, Grub-Xer0 wrote: This is why I love Newgrounds

same

Wut wut

$imlunchboxx

Buy ImLunchboxx dm me NOW!

Response to Thank you, Tom 2015-09-26 06:57:39

The feels, man, the feels.
You're a good dude, OP.

inb4 this is some modified copy paste bullshit

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature