00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rvillarreal123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HIV just got a lot more expensive

2,685 Views | 25 Replies

This guy just bought the rights to a drug used to treat AIDS and raised the price to $750 per pill. Previously the drug cost about $13.50 per pill. Now having AIDS will destroy not just your body, but also your life savings. Gotta love the for-profit pharmaceutical industry.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-21 23:29:47

I am tempted to hunt this inhuman piece of shit down and kill him like the disgusting pig he is.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-21 23:30:24

I'm reading through some of those comments in that article you linked.

I hate the world more today then I did yesterday.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-21 23:35:57

Used to protects sufferers of AIDS and to treat malaria.

This guy is truely a spawn of Satan. How many people that rich have AIDS that will still afford it.

He's going to loose money on it but he clearly doesn't care and just wishes people to die.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-21 23:38:43

good time to thin out the herd of people on this planet, this guy is doing the world a favor.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-21 23:46:30

The only thing that does is turning everyone to use generics, bankrupting this shithead.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 00:31:52

Can the average person who has hiv/aids or whatever even afford that? Who wants to bet he partners with a loan company to make even more profit off of these pills and the interest.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 00:39:53

At 9/21/15 11:46 PM, Jin wrote: The only thing that does is turning everyone to use generics, bankrupting this shithead.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. A massive price increase like that will result in a rapid decline in volume. He's not just shooting himself in the foot, he's blowing both of his legs off.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 01:03:06

At 9/21/15 11:38 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: good time to thin out the herd of people on this planet, this guy is doing the world a favor.

You're going to make people bleed.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 07:37:05

At 9/21/15 11:46 PM, Jin wrote: The only thing that does is turning everyone to use generics, bankrupting this shithead.

Don't you have to wait like 20 years to put out generics though?

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 15:05:28

That motherfucker fucking raising the god damn price of fucking (*seethes) RRRRRROOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH I FUCKING HATE THAT FUCKING God damn SHIT ASS makes me so GRRRAAAAGGGHHH!!!!

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 16:08:41

At 9/22/15 01:03 AM, someaveragechap wrote: You're going to make people bleed.

there's too many people in the world anyways, the people who deserve will live and those that die were meant too, thin it out so we can only get stronger instead of weaker. Besides to the people bitching about the drug doesn't fight HIV/ADIS itself it fights a parasite or something thats very prevalent in 1st world countries that effect large amounts of people in the First World, its just that people with HIV/AIDS are very vulnerable to it. it also helps treat some cancer.

this guy is doing the right thing for the world.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 16:52:16

At 9/22/15 04:08 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 9/22/15 01:03 AM, someaveragechap wrote: You're going to make people bleed.
this guy is doing the right thing for the world.

Oh. You're "that guy".
Hi, "that guy".

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 17:23:40

At 9/22/15 04:59 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: one quarter of the US has the parasite as well. It is fatal to people with HIV and pregnant woman. He also did the same thing last year with another drug with his former company. You can see interviews with him about the current issue. The only thing this guy talks about is profit. He is even facing lawsuit from his former company for stealing money from it. This guy only gives a shit about money.

and thats what he's in the business of, you know why meds are so expensive in the US? its because we use that money for R&D for better and more innovative medical treatments and technology and how are they suppose to fund that if they distribute the products to the general public at the bottom line price? they can't otherwise advancement in the field stops and stagnates.

If Shkreli was really trying to kill the poor by jacking up the price of AIDS medication, there are much better ways to do so than price gouging. Either way, he's a complete idiot both from a moral and economical standpoint as the generic AIDS medicine will dramatically lower their price and already has got people all upset over said price gouging.

Considering the amount of edge in this thread, everyone might want to stock up on bandages because this thread is mighty sharp.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 18:29:23

GRRRHHH

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 18:34:03

At 9/22/15 03:05 PM, PussyShark wrote: That motherfucker fucking raising the god damn price of fucking (*seethes) RRRRRROOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH I FUCKING HATE THAT FUCKING God damn SHIT ASS makes me so GRRRAAAAGGGHHH!!!!

Whoa calm down buddy.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 18:41:41

At 9/22/15 05:23 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: and thats what he's in the business of, you know why meds are so expensive in the US? its because we use that money for R&D for better and more innovative medical treatments and technology

If you really believe this, you're pretty gullible.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 19:31:00

At 9/22/15 06:41 PM, SuperBastard wrote:
At 9/22/15 05:23 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: and thats what he's in the business of, you know why meds are so expensive in the US? its because we use that money for R&D for better and more innovative medical treatments and technology
If you really believe this, you're pretty gullible.

So you think selling medicine at bottom line does the company or the general public any good? Those increases are used for not only making better products but also causes future competition for quality products at lower prices for us.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 20:02:30

first of all this drug is for toxoplasmosis or w/e not aids

second of all its funny when people suggest thinning out the heard and shit like that but they would call it cruel or horrible if it was their life being lost merely for the purpose of population control. also the united states is not vastly overpopulated and thats where the majority of users live.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 20:24:11

At 9/22/15 07:31 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: So you think selling medicine at bottom line does the company or the general public any good? Those increases are used for not only making better products but also causes future competition for quality products at lower prices for us.

I didn't say bottom line.

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 21:22:22

You people are silly.

POINT 1:

The drug cures toxoplasmosis and protects against malaria. The malaria is the reason it is on the UN's essential medicines list.

POINT 2:

The $750 price is only charged to medical insurers. Those are the rich fucks who actually steal money and do nothing good for the world. People who need co-pay assistance get the drug for under $20 or can't afford the drug get the drug for $1.

POINT 3:

The drug is highly toxic. 40% of all patients cannot complete the full course. This is reason 1 for why the drug needs to be researched.

POINT 4:

The mortality rate for toxoplasmosis sufferers taking this drug is 20%. That means 1 out of every 5 die from tôxoplasmosis despite taking the drug. Because there is such a wide variety of toxoplasmosis parasites, it is completely reasonable to believe there are strains which are unaffected by the drug. These are reasons 2 and 3 for why the drug needs to be researched further.

POINT 5:

The drug has been in existence in its current state for 65 years and used in medicine for 62 years. In all that time, the many many multibillion dollar pharmaceutical companies which have had control over the manufacturing prices have refused to prioritize new research for this drug primarily vecause they could not use it to turn a profit. Toxoplasmosis is not common in the first world, because people in the fîrst world cook their food and rarely eat cat poop. Toxoplasmosis Gondii has been blamed for nodes in the brain of cat owners which result from infections which are kept in check by the body's immune system, this is not toxoplasmosis.

POINT 6:

The drug has never been able to turn a profit nor has it been hard to manufacture, reducing supply. That has resulted in a low settling price which meant there was no incentive for generics producers to undercut the owners of the rights. This is despite dozens of companies having owned the production process, meaning they have the recipe sitting in their filing cabinets or servers already.

POINT 7:

Raising the price of each tablet has several effects. First, it creates an insurance-powered fund for future research and development for this company Turing Pharmaceuticals to patent. Then they have a better product. Second, it creates a generics incentive, increasing access to the original drug which will compete with the new patent in the same market. That results in more people having access to a greater number of choices which can be more effective against these parasitic infections. People who can deal with the full course can take the cheaper generic or the Daraprim supply. Those who have compromised kidneys or conflicting medications can take the new drug.

POINT 8:

I can stop here, put your pitchforks and torches away you easily manipulated little brats.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-22 22:20:43

At 9/22/15 07:31 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: So you think selling medicine at bottom line does the company or the general public any good? Those increases are used for not only making better products but also causes future competition for quality products at lower prices for us.

$13.50 per pill isn't really cheap compared to other medicines. Considering the usual treatment of 2 pills per day, we're looking at $810 for 30 days of these pills. Then consider other ailments HIV sufferers might get.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Responded to this topic on doomworld. Quite sickening, that someone would do this. I heard, he had a character in a MUD rpg(He paid $5500, for it), & he gave someone sloppy & got banned, permanently for it. I doubt that's the very reason he raised the price of the medicine for whatever purpose(Greed, malicious reasons, etc). But it probably is fuel to the fire, he has against humanity or poor & middle class people. :-/

I heard people saying the pharmaceutical industry wants to ban all natural remedies & en-capsulize all cures in pills for pure carnal greed. It seems people are rebelling against this. As someone stated this before...when good people do nothing, evil prevails. It's good to see, that they're rolling back the price to normal. Still quite pricey to take, but hopefully one day, the medicine industry changes for the best. B-)

Hosting a survival minecraft server. The address is "astral-craft.ddns.net". The client is spigot 1.16.4. B-)

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-23 13:04:05

At 9/23/15 12:16 AM, Astral-Revenant wrote: I heard people saying the pharmaceutical industry wants to ban all natural remedies & en-capsulize all cures in pills for pure carnal greed. It seems people are rebelling against this.

The folks who usually rebel against this are the ones that either don't believe in modern medicine or think that vaccines are evil because they cause brain damage and refuse to have their kids inoculated, in other words, the hippie troglodytes. Yes, the pharmaceutical industry is heavily profit driven, (and it's not just in America, Europe has it pretty bad too) but they know they can't get rid of all of the natural remedies because they don't really need to. Why is it when something like this happens, they use capitalism as a scapegoat?

As someone stated this before...when good people do nothing, evil prevails. It's good to see, that they're rolling back the price to normal. Still quite pricey to take, but hopefully one day, the medicine industry changes for the best. B-)

Except when it's a medicine that has been around for 60+ years for a disease that doesn't exist in the first world (I'm talking about toxoplasmosis) and has been known to be pretty dire due to it's toxicity. By no means am I excusing Shkreli of his PR blunder, but to jack up the price of a medicine that few people use and has been proven to be dangerous in order to research a better alternative is a necessary evil.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to HIV just got a lot more expensive 2015-09-23 21:36:47

At 9/23/15 01:04 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 9/23/15 12:16 AM, Astral-Revenant wrote:

I agree with what you're saying, not all modern medicine is bad. In fact, a good amount of it, is beneficial for ailments & such. Not all SSRI's & vaccines are bad, only in rare cases, do they cause harm to people. I don't believe the pharmaceutical industry will get rid of all natural remedies, but they do try to suppress information about natural approaches or drugs, which can help cure or heal illnesses. Basically trying to fix, what's not broke, basically. It's probably for other reasons too, capitalism isn't the sole reason. <.<

I whole heart-fully agree. Its a medicine that should be improved upon. But, the disease & other issues, can still exist. The medicine could be utilized for other purposes. But, they should make a modified version, that isn't lethal to the person. Raising the price of the drug, probably wasn't the best choice, they could have went about it, in another way. Without angering many people. That last tidbit, I sort of agree on. Sometimes evil is necessary for the betterment of mankind. Even though most people shun it & all. Evil & good must always co-exist with each other(As corny as that sounds). <.>

But, I feel in this case, that they didn't need to raise the price for the drug. If they wanted a better alternative, all they need to do, is roll up their sleeves & get to work on it. Sure the price increase would have created more incentive but sometimes those issues can arise & it would be problematic, if people didn't at least have access to some form of medicine for it. >.>

Its good seeing others viewpoints on this issue. Here's to hoping, they come up with a better alternative for this medicine. 8-)

Hosting a survival minecraft server. The address is "astral-craft.ddns.net". The client is spigot 1.16.4. B-)

BBS Signature