00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO

3,673 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 08:54:01

Nintendo has just announced an upcoming new Pokemon game for Android & iOS called Pokemon GO.

Here's the trailer.

Not much info has been released about it, but from what I've gathered, it's an Augmented Reality phone game, similar to Ingress, you will encounter Pokemon by simply walking around and finding them in your area.

Part of Pokemon GO is a pokeball-shaped device that looks like this. You can wear it like a wristband or just clip it onto your person. I think it'll be used to find other trainers for battles and trades.

Mobile games aren't really my cup of tea, but this seems like an interesting take on the classic series (not to mention you'll finally be able to fulfill your childhood dreams of becoming a pokemon trainer).

What do you guys think?

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 12:54:10

Jesus Christ. Mewtwo was just flying around like, "'Sup, y'all" and everybody started screaming and attacking him like a bunch of fucking maniacs. That was genuinely horrifying.

I wish I was younger so I could play around with this and not look like a pederast while I'm stalking around the park looking for Pokemon to catch and trainers to battle with.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 15:36:58

At 9/10/15 08:54 AM, Chdonga wrote: Nonsensical bullshit

This would be so cool if you had to wear a special set of glasses in order to see the augmented reality. Instead of just pointing your camera at nothing and looking like a complete and utter douche.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 16:15:27

I'm excited to see how it'll work. It's a very ambitious project.

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 18:32:56

It's a bright idea, I can see this having a shitload of potential. It would be pretty cool if you could use the pokemon you captured in a league or something, trying to collect all the badges and then fighting the elite 4, which would be other players as well. It would be pretty close to a pokemon MMO.

To bad you'll probably look stupid searching for pokemon with your phone out, yelling 'Blastoise' in the middle of the street.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 21:41:12

Based on the title I assumed this would be a game in which Pokemon would finally look like they would be in the real world, as in visually realistic Pokemon. I am disappointed.

Hopefully the next generation of Pokemon will amend that.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-10 22:53:34

At 9/10/15 09:41 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Based on the title I assumed this would be a game in which Pokemon would finally look like they would be in the real world, as in visually realistic Pokemon. I am disappointed.

Hopefully the next generation of Pokemon will amend that.

I doubt it. The cartoon look is too iconic to the series. Plus I think making Pokemon realistic would kind of bring home the point that you're essentially breeding and training animals to fight each other. They can skirt the issue of animal abuse by being a bright and friendly and unrealistic.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

At 9/10/15 12:54 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Jesus Christ. Mewtwo was just flying around like, "'Sup, y'all" and everybody started screaming and attacking him like a bunch of fucking maniacs. That was genuinely horrifying.

That was a little obnoxious, but I doubt people would go that apeshit over that.

I wish I was younger so I could play around with this and not look like a pederast while I'm stalking around the park looking for Pokemon to catch and trainers to battle with.

Lol, I'm sure you'd find a decent variety anywhere you went and wouldn't have to walk around too far staring at your phone like a dummy. As for trainer battles I'm sure it could go long-distance and they'd put them in an arena setting. No need to ask random strangers if they play Pokemon GO, hopefully.

But holy shit I came to this forum looking for this thread. I haven't cared much about Pokémon for damn near a decade and I'm suddenly hyped about this.

There are knock-off games like this already but you can't beat real Pokémon.

I hope it lives up to expectations.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-11 00:15:16

At 9/10/15 03:36 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote:
At 9/10/15 08:54 AM, Chdonga wrote: Nonsensical bullshit
This would be so cool if you had to wear a special set of glasses in order to see the augmented reality. Instead of just pointing your camera at nothing and looking like a complete and utter douche.

To bad Google Glass was cancelled, because this would have been perfect for it.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-11 03:27:58

yeah i can see an arrow pointing straight into the metro tunnel, if I want that zapdos bad enough...

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-11 22:50:19

At 9/11/15 03:27 AM, RewindBlind wrote: yeah i can see an arrow pointing straight into the metro tunnel, if I want that zapdos bad enough...

Hey kid there's a shiny Pokeman in this here windowless white van.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-12 15:26:04

Nice idea but kids now will be staring at there phones / watch-wrist-band thing and try to catch a Pikachu in the middle of the street or a Vulpix near a volcano then watch where they are going lol.

I wish I was a kid so I can wonder aimlessly into area 51 trying to catch a Mew. ;)

If you are not playing the game, then you are letting the game play you. Twitter: @Hypnotikid

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-13 06:17:21

Holy shit, i live near a river! Catching Magikarp is my destiny!

Wait do we need that dumb little pokemon thing to actually play the game? If we do then i'm out.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-13 17:08:52

I don't really understand it fully just yet. But if its going to be a pay to play game, that is just going to be CRUEL.

Am I going to have to travel to Europe to catch Europe exclusive Pokemon? Travel to Utah to get Utah exclusives?

If you can't travel, are they going to force you to pay to catch Pokemon? Is MewTwo really going to fly in mid air for some sort of big location battles in Time Square?

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

its based on Ingress, which is a geo location game where you got to move outside I play Ingress and its great, but Pokemon go brings to a new level nostalgia, go outside and catch pokemon, train them, trade them, battle them with other players. I can't wait to play since I play ingress on my Droid phone (which already has a big ass battery) I also have a external battery that gives me 4 full phone charges.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-15 00:55:09

I understand where they are trying to go with this, but tbh I don't see this taking off.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-21 04:51:09

I love the idea, but wonder if it can be successful or not. Will it be something huge or just a fad? Again love the idea - I see very little potential as of right now. If it does succeed though, will there be a group of people who will form Team Rocket?

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-21 18:54:58

It seems interesting. I imagine it will cause a massive amount of kids breaking into private property and stuff. I wonder how they will distribute the pokemon across the world, surely not everyone can go visit a real life volcano and catch groudon. I doubt I will have that much fun with it mostly because now a days a adult male prowling children parks and challenging random kids to battles isn't reacted to well.

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-21 21:00:46

correct those of you who say that it won't take off they said the same thing about ingress and that has over 10 MILLION active players. Plus this pulls at the nostalgia of 3 different generations of people and there's already crazy hype about it.

Something tells me this might be exactly what google did that one time where they had different pokemon on google maps and all you had to do was tap it to capture it. I feel like this might be that, but just a little more intricate, like including a battle system, and having to actually go to the area to "capture" the pokemon. I just really hope im wrong about this.
Also, literally no one is going to be able to "catch em all", because no one is going to be able to "travel across the land, searching far and wide", because no one has the money to do a cross continent trip whenever they want (except for super rich bastards of course)

At 9/13/15 06:17 AM, Radaketor wrote:
Wait do we need that dumb little pokemon thing to actually play the game? If we do then i'm out.

You dont need it to use the app, no. All it does is notify you if a pokemon is in your immediate vicinity or if theres a "trainer" nearby or something like that. Its just a little helpful device if you dont want to be staring at your phone the entire time

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-22 17:11:24

At 9/10/15 08:54 AM, Chdonga wrote: Nintendo has just announced an upcoming new Pokemon game for Android & iOS called Pokemon GO.

Part of Pokemon GO is a pokeball-shaped device that looks like this. You can wear it like a wristband or just clip it onto your person. I think it'll be used to find other trainers for battles and trades.

Every Pokemon game has been a success. You should check out this new one.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-22 20:58:50

"Hey kids, there is a super rare mew-two in that white van!"

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-22 22:14:10

Gonna wait and see how it turns out.

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-22 23:27:06

At 9/22/15 08:58 PM, Tybia99 wrote: "Hey kids, there is a super rare mew-two in that white van!"

Many kids will go into that van.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-24 06:17:26

At 9/13/15 05:08 PM, frootza wrote: Am I going to have to travel to Europe to catch Europe exclusive Pokemon? Travel to Utah to get Utah exclusives?

I don't care what anyone says, that would be a nice thing if they included generations, Gen1 - One continent, Gen2 - Another continent and so forth, it would really give it a Pokemon feel.

If you can't travel, are they going to force you to pay to catch Pokemon? Is MewTwo really going to fly in mid air for some sort of big location battles in Time Square?

I think that to catch Pokemon you only need to find them and capture them, no need to spend money, the only thing i could see them asking us to pay for is items like potions and pokeballs like Great Balls and Ultra Balls.
The Mewtwo thing seems to be like that.

At 9/22/15 12:40 AM, Lionelion wrote:
At 9/13/15 06:17 AM, Radaketor wrote:
You dont need it to use the app, no. All it does is notify you if a pokemon is in your immediate vicinity or if theres a "trainer" nearby or something like that. Its just a little helpful device if you dont want to be staring at your phone the entire time

Yay, now let's just hope that it works for my android.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-25 13:39:43

At 9/24/15 06:05 PM, Homicidee wrote: How much is the wristband going to cost?

I cant imagine it'd cost more than $15-20, but no set price has been set yet (that I know of)

Response to Pokemon in Real Life!? Pokemon GO 2015-09-25 15:27:56

I needed this 15 years ago. Might still need it now.

Looks like an interesting idea, but the trailer didn't really show any proof of concept. I'll need to see a real demonstration of the app.

Since I hear it's free to play (aside from any physical gadgets I'll need to purchase), it'll probably be riddled with the cancer that is in-app purchases.

BBS Signature