00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

News Post Too Long? 2015-09-01 17:11:11

So I just spent 4 hours writing a news post to find out it's apparently too long, even though a character limit was never shown anywhere until I went to publish the news post, and apparently the limit is 32,768 characters, but when I copy and paste it into word it shows as 31,857, which is under that limit, so I don't understand why it's saying it's too long unless it's because there's also two images and some horizontal lines in there as well. I really don't want to have to split this news post in two, especially when it seems like it's under that limit :/

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-01 17:29:09

At 9/1/15 05:27 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Are you able to post it without the images?

I thought that would work, since the images were kinda big, but no, even without the images, it still won't post.

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-01 21:18:28

All right, so I just went ahead and split it into two news posts. It's still weird that it would say it was over the character limit, even though when I checked how many characters it was, it was nearly 1k characters UNDER the limit.

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-02 04:09:36

I think codes like bold, italics, underline and linked text can fill up space.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-02 07:39:23

The bb-codes take up space (as they are just characters) and a link to the image of course also consits of characters.
Also note that each paragraph (ie hitting "enter") takes up one character as well. Word doesn't count those, AFAIK.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-02 12:25:43

At 9/2/15 07:39 AM, Haggard wrote: The bb-codes take up space (as they are just characters) and a link to the image of course also consits of characters.
Also note that each paragraph (ie hitting "enter") takes up one character as well. Word doesn't count those, AFAIK.

It must've been that then, 'cause there was a lot of links and a few formatted things. I just wish the text editor would show the character limit and how many characters were actually being used. It doesn't make sense that it doesn't show the character limit when pretty much every other text field on Newgrounds does. I mean, since the character limit is already so high as it is, it's probably not too important, but still.

Response to News Post Too Long? 2015-09-06 06:19:30

At 9/2/15 12:25 PM, artistunknown wrote:
At 9/2/15 07:39 AM, Haggard wrote: The bb-codes take up space (as they are just characters) and a link to the image of course also consits of characters.
It must've been that then, 'cause there was a lot of links and a few formatted things. I just wish the text editor would show the character limit and how many characters were actually being used. It doesn't make sense that it doesn't show the character limit when pretty much every other text field on Newgrounds does. I mean, since the character limit is already so high as it is, it's probably not too important, but still.

The only logical reason I can think of for why the character limit is not shown is to prevent spammers to make shit long posts just under the limit. Like I just tried to.

It is still bad for serious posters like you who need to spend much time to reduce the text before being able to post. Especially since news posts have built in formatting that makes it more unclear which parts take up more characters than others.