00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Uninstalled games still on disk?

456 Views | 6 Replies

Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 12:43:52

I just discovered that I still have guild wars 2 and ESO online in the folders althought I uninstalled them both.

launchers and shit normaly work. I even started up ESO Online but I was unable to connect to the servers.

Eso folder says 30gb of space

Guild wars 2 says 19gb and is now patching up like no problemo.

The games are no longer registered in my system so I am shocked.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 14:35:36

Just delete those fuckers.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 14:45:15

At 8/27/15 02:35 PM, Painbringer wrote: Just delete those fuckers.

That's what I do, by the scruff of the neck they get deleted on the spot. Very rare that big files get left behind, guess it depends on which uninstaller you chose: the one listed in Windows add/remove/programs list, or the one the manufacturer provides, usually in the start menu or in a launcher. Which method(s) did you choose @deshiel?

I tend to think the app's uninstaller would wanna leave more shit behind, in the hopes you come back to it... or re-install the buggy fucker. I had the Windows uninstaller get rid of a non-functioning Mass Effect 2, and it totally ripped out Mass Effect 1 as well, lost a rather time-consuming profile >:(

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 15:26:06

At 8/27/15 02:45 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 8/27/15 02:35 PM, Painbringer wrote: Just delete those fuckers.
That's what I do, by the scruff of the neck they get deleted on the spot. Very rare that big files get left behind, guess it depends on which uninstaller you chose: the one listed in Windows add/remove/programs list, or the one the manufacturer provides, usually in the start menu or in a launcher. Which method(s) did you choose @deshiel?

I tend to think the app's uninstaller would wanna leave more shit behind, in the hopes you come back to it... or re-install the buggy fucker. I had the Windows uninstaller get rid of a non-functioning Mass Effect 2, and it totally ripped out Mass Effect 1 as well, lost a rather time-consuming profile >

I used to swing with the basic one I think. The more hidden one turned out to be even handier tho. Right now I also have Iobit uninstaller that detects and removes leftovers but I didnt have it at the time of removing those two games.

And yes. I deleted the shit out of it. Strangely enought (and I never seen it happen before) when I clicked on deleting the ESO file, the file manager actualy asked me to delete permanently (thus avoiding the trash bin trip) but GW2 folder and everything else in the past never offered such option

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 17:24:46

At 8/27/15 03:26 PM, Deshiel wrote: And yes. I deleted the shit out of it. Strangely enought (and I never seen it happen before) when I clicked on deleting the ESO file, the file manager actualy asked me to delete permanently (thus avoiding the trash bin trip) but GW2 folder and everything else in the past never offered such option

Sure sounds like you had 2 atypical un-installations, even afterwards! Back when HD space was at a premium, I'd almost always manually check all the likely hiding spots, as well as the registry. The NT system introduced a lot more hiding spots. In between MS and the programmers, the chaos of reality remains, no matter how advanced this shit seems to get |:

Still amazes me that we're using code from the 80's and 90's, with tons of shit stacked on top, to prevent a lack of communication. I wonder how many people are responsible, for just the MS OS we use everyday? A few thousand, I'm sure!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 18:34:33

At 8/27/15 02:05 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Deshiel, meet Revo Uninstaller. Revo, meet Deshiel.

That's better than nothing, but truly the best way not to end up with leftovers from previously installed programs is not to install them in the first place.

And people wonder why I don't just willy-nilly install everything under the sun.

Another strategy could be to only install your games from within a VM, with a separate profile for each game and then, when you no longer want some game, simply delete its VM profile. Of course some games may not work correctly due either to insufficient hardware (running something under a VM requires better hardware than running it straight) or due to imperfect VM implementation (As a rule, emulation is never perfect).

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Uninstalled games still on disk? 2015-08-27 18:55:37

At 8/27/15 06:41 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I love how in Nix you can wipe everything with rm and find where in Windows you have to get a paid program to do this. (god bless dpkg!)

Still the best way not to end up with leftovers, even in *NIX systems is not to install stuff in the first place.

Always a possibility you modded some config file somewhere to get a piece of software to work and then, much later, decide to uninstall that but forget to re-mod those same config files again.

And if you install from source you are left with the individual files, which is up to you to place in the correct directories, set your path as appropriate, modify any necessary config files, and build the relevant links. Uninstall then would require doing the reverse, thoroughly.

It starts getting hairy when there's software dependencies in play.

Though, it's much easier to start from a clean install on a *NIX system than a Windows system, if need be, so there's always that option as well.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here