00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

neerual trying [failing] to sketch

537 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Since I suck so much at sketching, I decided to really practice it and not just try something and get frustrated with it.

I thought a skull was a good start, so I will keep posting my skull sketches (for now) here.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and so are any tips (on techniques, brushes, ect.). I'm using Photoshop and a Intuos Pen Digital Tablet.

And this is what I managed in 14 minutes after practicing a bit.
I will post another one soon, where I will try to get a better result in less time.

neerual trying [failing] to sketch

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 09:59:30

At 8/16/15 09:55 AM, neerual wrote: stuff

you drawing from reference, right? cause reference helps.

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 10:03:19

At 8/16/15 09:59 AM, M-Maher wrote:
At 8/16/15 09:55 AM, neerual wrote: stuff
you drawing from reference, right? cause reference helps.

Oh, yes, yes. I just got my first digital tablet though, and I don't quite have the hang of it, yet. I think...

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 10:12:39

Where is your construction?

BBS Signature

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 10:18:42

At 8/16/15 10:12 AM, Blounty wrote: Where is your construction?

Never thought about drawing one. :o

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 22:09:53

Well you're getting somewhere with this, most people have trouble sketching (Its come naturally to me xD)

Anyway suggestions for improvement can be:
Crosshatching - The single lines aren't extremely good at showing form (shadows and depth) in the skull, I would suggest to try it out ;D
Shape - the skull shape to me could use some polishing up, id start out with a light shape to base your skull off before getting to the shading stage
3D - the image looks kinda flat, its easy to create a more 3D image by shading darker/more lines oppisite to an imaginary light source. You could pull it off ;3

Anyway thats all I can come up with, they are all based off some techniques I've used in my sketches, hopefully this helps you improve! (You can always refer back to my works for shadows and form, that can get tricky)

;3
-TriAxis

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 22:13:35

Don't start with skulls, the anatomy of the human body is quite a bit more complicated then basic geometric shapes.

You should start with a cube, and a work on lighting. Then move onto textures and whatnot.

I think people are one of the harder things to draw.

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-16 22:31:59

At 8/16/15 10:13 PM, Robotao wrote: Don't start with skulls, the anatomy of the human body is quite a bit more complicated then basic geometric shapes.

You should start with a cube, and a work on lighting. Then move onto textures and whatnot.

I think people are one of the harder things to draw.

I agree people can be difficult to get right, but a skull is really good as it isnt too simple, but not too challenging too, also some people might find it easier to draw skulls xD

Response to neerual trying [failing] to sketch 2015-08-17 07:10:15

At 8/16/15 09:55 AM, neerual wrote: Since I suck so much at sketching, I decided to really practice it and not just try something and get frustrated with it.

I thought a skull was a good start, so I will keep posting my skull sketches (for now) here.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and so are any tips (on techniques, brushes, ect.). I'm using Photoshop and a Intuos Pen Digital Tablet.

And this is what I managed in 14 minutes after practicing a bit.
I will post another one soon, where I will try to get a better result in less time.

This is great for a beginning sketch you will definitely get there soon - My friend never used to be able to draw but he did stuff like this every day and moved onto drawing more realistically like people and objects etc and now he is incredible!
For working on photoshop I tried to make a simplistic plan for you ~

1. Add new layer, lightly draw basic outlines (of the skull and bigger features inside)
2. Add new layer and using a darker pen tool secure the basic shapes
3. Add new layer then do the shading (check out cross hatching / the scribble technique!)
4. When complete you can hide the first layer of lighter construction outlines + flatten the image

Doing it in layers will allow to to rub out mistakes without accidentally removing other areas and achieve a much neater end result
-Once you get better at it you can add more detail in the second step then just shade more accurately
-Also using different sized brushes + changing the opacity for shading will help on p.s but you may not be so good in the future when trying to draw on paper, so using a sketch book too will keep your traditional skills alive :3

Really hope this helps, if you try it let me know how it went :) Practise makes perfect!