00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fantastic Failure

2,559 Views | 27 Replies

Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 11:56:20

Lets talk about the Fantastic Four reboot.
To be honest it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I do dislike the cast and I know I'm not the only one.
I know it's to give them a chance at becoming more well known or whatever but they really didn't need to go with this cast in particular there are also a lot of people who are not happy with the fact that Human torch is black now, myself included.
I figured it out though Human torch got burned by himself and he's crispy now... I'm sorry.

So, what did you people think of the Fantastic Four reboot?

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 12:03:30

At 8/8/15 11:58 AM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 8/8/15 11:56 AM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote: in particular there are also a lot of people who are not happy with the fact that Human torch is black now, myself included.
How did the Human Torch being black detract from the character? Did they cast Tracy Morgan?

Characters based off of comics are supposed to look at least somewhat similar to the comic character, I have no problem with the person playing the character or the acting done by this person, I just don't like the fact that he doesn't look remotely like the actual character.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 14:02:03

At 8/8/15 12:03 PM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote:
Characters based off of comics are supposed to look at least somewhat similar to the comic character, I have no problem with the person playing the character or the acting done by this person, I just don't like the fact that he doesn't look remotely like the actual character.

If you set yourself on fire as much as him, you would be pretty black too.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 14:35:27

At 8/8/15 11:56 AM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote: I figured it out though Human torch got burned by himself and he's crispy now... I'm sorry.

No need to apologize, you said what we were all thinking.

Most people thought Ant-Man was going to be Marvel's first real flop, but when I heard they were doing F4 again I knew.

Oh baby, I knew.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:29:43

At 8/8/15 02:27 PM, Hoodie wrote:
At 8/8/15 02:21 PM, Entice wrote: She's invisible

In all seriousness though, people can have siblings that are different races.
Why aren't they mixed then? Did their mom just get around a lot? I doubt they're going to say in the movie, "Yeah we are different races because our mom fucked a bunch of dudes."

It's stupid he's black, or it's stupid she's white, deal with it.

Exactly I find it silly that they completely failed at the simple small details, also nowhere in the whole Marvel universe does it say that they are both different races it doesn't even mention their parents saying that either, so this whole thing is super fucking weird to me

This is Johnny's father:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Franklin_Storm_%28Earth-616%29

and this is his mother:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Storm_%28Earth-616%29

so where does this come from:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/i1wmDaiRtuE/maxresdefault.jpg

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:33:02

At 8/8/15 02:33 PM, Entice wrote: words

Why are you still trying to act like this makes sense at all

As a southern straight white male cyclist, I'm probably the most hated person in America right now

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:42:07

At 8/8/15 01:43 PM, Hoodie wrote: Isn't the Human Torch supposed to be Invisible Girl's brother? Why isn't she black then?

The direction the movie went with is that Susan Storm is adopted for some reason

At 8/8/15 11:56 AM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote: I do dislike the cast and I know I'm not the only one.

Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell are all very talented young actors; it's an excellent cast. It's terrible casting, though. I don't know who looked at lanky British Jamie Bell and went "he'd be great as The Thing." It's a tragedy that they got all these people together and wasted them on a shit script.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:51:04

At 8/8/15 04:42 PM, Jester wrote: The direction the movie went with is that Susan Storm is adopted for some reason

That is why I am so confused, the directors couldn't figure out a good excuse so they just went with the "uhhh she's adopted" excuse instead. Why didn't they just get the proper resemblance for the characters first, but no. And I agree the cast isn't the real problem the writing for the characters however is.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:54:05

This all comes down to the same mistake d.c keeps making. They want the Marvel money but ignore what marvel does right. People ho to a super hero movie to see a super hero movi3s. Not a genre film that happens to have super heroes in it. The fantastic four should be one of the easiest properties to bring that fun kind of adventure to.
Super hero movies can have drams. They can have comedy. They can even have angst. But none of these are the point of them. These are things happening to super powered people.
Just an aside, whomevers choice it was to ruin "it's clobbering time" fuck you with Ben Grims rocky dick

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 16:57:06

I heard in the new X-Men, Storm is gonna be played by Charlize Theron. She's a strong African woman, but she defies racial stereotypes.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 17:44:41

At 8/8/15 04:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: This all comes down to the same mistake d.c keeps making. They want the Marvel money but ignore what marvel does right. People ho to a super hero movie to see a super hero movi3s. Not a genre film that happens to have super heroes in it. The fantastic four should be one of the easiest properties to bring that fun kind of adventure to.
Super hero movies can have drams. They can have comedy. They can even have angst. But none of these are the point of them. These are things happening to super powered people.
Just an aside, whomevers choice it was to ruin "it's clobbering time" fuck you with Ben Grims rocky dick

Exactly that's why there are so many remakes now, because people don't care about the original film they care about what happens in the present, and I hate the fact that the new directors of these remakes take the movies into all these weird directions that don't have anything to do with the actual story aspect of the whole movie or characters and character development. It's true what you are saying about the profit aspect I also believe this movie was just a money vacuum, they built up all this hype for this movie and then since they know the people are hooked they just did a shitty job, because they already know people are going to see it and even if they bitch about it they'll still have the money to keep making shitty movies for shitty reasons I'm looking at you Avengers...

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:08:03

apparently the director, josh trank, stated that it was fox's fault as to why the movie was bad.

i'm not surprised if thats true

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:27:59

At 8/8/15 05:44 PM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote: , because they already know people are going to see it and even if they bitch about it they'll still have the money to keep making shitty movies for shitty reasons I'm looking at you Avengers...

Your opinions of the movie are your own but when the avengers get together I want to see them fighting. It's the same as going to a Rocky movie, you expect a fight. In a sports movie you want a big game. In a dancing movie you want jazz hands, apparently.

To elaborate on the point I was making before, all adaption owe something to the source material. If the director feels they don't or if they're in some way above the material then they're wrong for the project. You don't have to be a fan but you do have to be respectful. Like you said, it's not the director name putting butts in the seats.
This is what I think this is a case of. The director decided to make a young adult movie with Cronenberg body horror (an admitted influence) but didn't give a fuck about the fantastic four. He was above making fantastic four. He made his own movie. And it's rightfully a financial loss.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:35:53 (edited 2015-08-08 18:36:31)

I never cared for them in the first place I have to admit. So I can't take much offence to them fucking up, but I can feel saddened by it knowing there is one less awesome superhero movie like Iron Man out there to see. (I also didn't care for Iron Man either, but the movie was solid and I liked him due to it, so hey, this could have introduced me to liking F4...ah well)

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:43:37

Great. First we got black Spiderman, and now this crap...

Also, why is Susan Storm a female? Shouldn't they just use Snoop Dogg in a wig for that character? And while we're at it, let's replace Mr. Fantastic with a Michael Jackson lookalike on crack, and as The Thing, they can just use one of Patrick Star's rocks with googly eyes. They're both rocks anyway..

Fantastic Four... More like FANTASTIC FUCK-YOU.

#edgy

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:47:16

The movie was so bad that Marvel has cancelled that Fantastic Four comics. So that means that this movie killed the Fantastic Four franchise.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:48:30

At 8/8/15 06:43 PM, AoiShinigami wrote: Great. First we got black Spiderman, and now this crap...

I really hope this movie is a flop because it tried being overly gritty and not fun,
rather than people getting their knickers in a twist over the race of a character.

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 18:51:19

At 8/8/15 06:08 PM, TheMajormel wrote: apparently the director, josh trank, stated that it was fox's fault as to why the movie was bad.

i'm not surprised if thats true

If that is true then I really hope he learned something out of all of this, and hopefully he'll do some work to improve, and I'm sure he's not a bad director I just think the reason this movie is filth is the writing of small factors like the characters however it does have work put into it. Also if Josh is telling the truth about Fox then I hate them even more now because I do think he can achieve much better things (regarding reviews, comments and so on...) on his own with an original idea.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 19:08:23

At 8/8/15 06:51 PM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote: Also if Josh is telling the truth about Fox then I hate them even more now because I do think he can achieve much better things (regarding reviews, comments and so on...) on his own with an original idea.

It wasnt the studio who decided marvels first family needed a dose of Cronenberg http://collider.com/david-cronenberg-fantastic-four-alien so let's not paint the director as an artist'e who had his vision torn assunder

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 19:17:36 (edited 2015-08-08 19:19:03)

At 8/8/15 07:08 PM, stafffighter wrote: It wasnt the studio who decided marvels first family needed a dose of Cronenberg http://collider.com/david-cronenberg-fantastic-four-alien so let's not paint the director as an artist'e who had his vision torn assunder

Yeah but that's only if the stuff said about Josh isn't true, if so the studio isn't at fault here.
The problem with these articles people post is that it's difficult to know for sure what's true or not

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 19:23:58

At 8/8/15 07:17 PM, JohnnyDestructoid wrote:
Yeah but that's only if the stuff said about Josh isn't true, if so the studio isn't at fault here.
The problem with these articles people post is that it's difficult to know for sure what's true or not

I'm not saying there wasn't studio fuckery. I'd be more suprised if there wasn't. It exists in every movie. What I'm saying is the cumulative mistakes that lead to this tire fire of a movie can't all be laid on the studio.

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 19:26:08

they just can't get the franchise right can they?

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 21:32:02

I only clicked on the topic because it reminds me of what my dad called me 2 weeks ago.

I'm just a girl from Texas. Nothing much.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-08 23:26:41

Yeah, it did look like shit from what I could see. I'll probably watch it anyway just to see what it's like

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-09 00:02:48

At 8/8/15 06:47 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: The movie was so bad that Marvel has cancelled that Fantastic Four comics. So that means that this movie killed the Fantastic Four franchise.

They cancelled the comics first, because Fox is sitting on the license.

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-09 03:28:45

At 8/8/15 09:32 PM, MyNameIsMia wrote: I only clicked on the topic because it reminds me of what my dad called me 2 weeks ago.

The fuck?
What happened? XD

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-09 12:50:59

At 8/8/15 01:43 PM, Hoodie wrote: Isn't the Human Torch supposed to be Invisible Girl's brother? Why isn't she black then?

She's adopted here. I too am pissed off that the Torch is black now....I mean, super heroes are only 99% white dammit! Everyone knows that changing a character's skin color completely changes everything about them and their appeal and such! This is an outrage.

FYI: Even many comic artists don't stay on model. Mike Deodato Jr. in both Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers drew Norman Osborn facially as Tommy Lee Jones. So you know, y'all just racist no matter how you try and cover that shit up :)

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Fantastic Failure 2015-08-09 13:13:52

At 8/9/15 12:50 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
She's adopted here. I too am pissed off that the Torch is black now....I mean, super heroes are only 99% white dammit! Everyone knows that changing a character's skin color completely changes everything about them and their appeal and such! This is an outrage.

You know, when I first heard about this I assumed it was going to be Johnny who was the adopted one. Was it the same way with you? Of course the whole issue of an adoptive family would make perfect sense in a fantastic four movie. Maybe someday a director who's not too far up his own ass to make a fantastic four movie will explore that

BBS Signature