00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash tween animation/frame byframe

590 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ive seen youtubers use the technique in flash where they make a tween animation of lets say for example, an arm movement pin pointing the anchor point to the elbow for example. yet been able to make it frame by frame! idk if I've just miss-interpreted what ive seen, but it really seemed like the case!

when I try to make a tween animation, and then add a keyframe, it gives me errors. but I am still puzzled on how they've done it!

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

At 8/3/15 02:12 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: when I try to make a tween animation, and then add a keyframe, it gives me errors. but I am still puzzled on how they've done it!

how does it give you errors? I am puzzled now! please show an example!

At 8/3/15 02:28 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:

I knew it was possible! here's the error I've been getting

edit: I tried "classic tween" and it works, but it doesn't let me erase nor does it actually makes a new empty frame

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 03:20:56

At 8/3/15 02:36 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 8/3/15 02:28 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:

I knew it was possible! here's the error I've been getting

edit: I tried "classic tween" and it works, but it doesn't let me erase nor does it actually makes a new empty frame

it is impossible to draw on motion tween! if you want to draw go inside your symbol and draw there then sync it by changing the symbol to single frame and use the frames you want!

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 03:41:57

At 8/3/15 03:20 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:
it is impossible to draw on motion tween! if you want to draw go inside your symbol and draw there then sync it by changing the symbol to single frame and use the frames you want!

I see what you're saying... inside the symbol serves as a whole different, clean slate to add frame by frame to the tween!

do people do these often? I just see youtubers animators making a cool frame by frame here and there, along with what seems like a simple rotation of the anchor point, combined

BBS Signature

At 8/3/15 03:41 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 8/3/15 03:20 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:
I see what you're saying... inside the symbol serves as a whole different, clean slate to add frame by frame to the tween!

do people do these often? I just see youtubers animators making a cool frame by frame here and there, along with what seems like a simple rotation of the anchor point, combined

i know people hate mlp but it is a good idea to study them (study your enemy):
http://jpra1396.deviantart.com/art/Spike-Flash-Puppet-Rig-PREVIEW-by-JPRA1396-502709506?q=gallery%3APony-Puppets%2F43756501&qo=0

you will be suprised how much angles are using the same frame!

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 14:23:17

At 8/3/15 04:14 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:
i know people hate mlp but it is a good idea to study them (study your enemy):
http://jpra1396.deviantart.com/art/Spike-Flash-Puppet-Rig-PREVIEW-by-JPRA1396-502709506?q=gallery%3APony-Puppets%2F43756501&qo=0

you will be suprised how much angles are using the same frame!

using the same frame? how is that possible! that rotation clearly involves 6-18 different keyframes! and I cant see anything to do with tweening

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 14:32:57

Basically these are all symbols, that you can then move around by tweening and swapping out to create animations.

This method involves drawing a lot of the parts and making them into symbols right at the very start of working and then reusing the assets later on.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 15:12:30

Yeah it's a combination of "replacement animation", symbol animation and frame by frame. They can also have premade symbols and still animate them frame by frame without the use of motion tweens to prevent it from looking too smooth.

The trick is to try and use as few motion tweens as possible if you can.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 16:43:35

At 8/3/15 02:32 PM, Blounty wrote: Basically these are all symbols, that you can then move around by tweening and swapping out to create animations.

This method involves drawing a lot of the parts and making them into symbols right at the very start of working and then reusing the assets later on.

seems that every frame can have its own symbol... makes it more customizable yet complex

so basically I need to time the symbol (tween animation) to end exactly when I want the new frame (which will be the frame by frame) correct? im just imagining an animation of a dude throwing a punch.
there will be a simple elbow rotation, but also some details like shirt flowing or elbow details showing in the process. thus making it frame by frame

BBS Signature

At 8/3/15 04:43 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 8/3/15 02:32 PM, Blounty wrote: Basically these are all symbols, that you can then move around by tweening and swapping out to create animations.

seems that every frame can have its own symbol... makes it more customizable yet complex

so basically I need to time the symbol (tween animation) to end exactly when I want the new frame (which will be the frame by frame) correct? im just imagining an animation of a dude throwing a punch.
there will be a simple elbow rotation, but also some details like shirt flowing or elbow details showing in the process. thus making it frame by frame

Yes but you can do these on completely different layers or have them as completely different symbols.

Arms are symbols tweened but the hair and sleeve are fbf in a symbol which is looping.

Obviously it takes a bit of practice to make it look good and to know what can be tweened and look good and what won't so just experiment with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 16:49:29

At 8/3/15 03:12 PM, Celshaded wrote: Yeah it's a combination of "replacement animation", symbol animation and frame by frame. They can also have premade symbols and still animate them frame by frame without the use of motion tweens to prevent it from looking too smooth.

The trick is to try and use as few motion tweens as possible if you can.

so basically a symbol animation can be anything from frame my frame and such, and behind the symbol "or up-front doesn't matter" can be a tween animation to fill up the gaps of the frame by frame.

and what you're telling me with "use as few motion tweens as possible" is basically not to create too large of a gap cause frame by frame is usually the best quality of animation, and tween is to fill up those hardly visible gaps. correct?

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 17:11:30

At 8/3/15 04:47 PM, Blounty wrote:
Yes but you can do these on completely different layers or have them as completely different symbols.
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/johnnyutah/dan-loop
Arms are symbols tweened but the hair and sleeve are fbf in a symbol which is looping.

Obviously it takes a bit of practice to make it look good and to know what can be tweened and look good and what won't so just experiment with it.

right right... that animation is a pretty good example. its detailed enough to cover the fact that, for example, the left arm is based off tweening. im hoping I can make an animation without those showing. but im starting to understand on how it works!

im guessing it involves lots of planning, since I did give it a try a couple times in the past. tweening makes things look... "unprofessional" and that is why I really wanted to add frame by frame to this.

thanks a ton for the help ^^ im starting to like Adobe Flash

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 18:19:51

Mixing the use of FBF and tweening will certainly be to your advantage. This sketch-animation had some tweened underdrawings to speed up drafting a boogie. When you're building a subtle motion, blending the two will come naturally and won't require a strenuous amount of planning.

I host "12 principles of animation" streams and if you'd be interested in some Q&A send me a note :)

At 8/3/15 05:11 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 8/3/15 04:47 PM, Blounty wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/johnnyutah/dan-loop

right right... that animation is a pretty good example. its detailed enough to cover the fact that, for example, the left arm is based off tweening. im hoping I can make an animation without those showing. but im starting to understand on how it works!

im guessing it involves lots of planning, since I did give it a try a couple times in the past. tweening makes things look... "unprofessional" and that is why I really wanted to add frame by frame to this.

thanks a ton for the help ^^ im starting to like Adobe Flash

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 19:18:03

At 8/3/15 06:19 PM, maficmelody wrote: Mixing the use of FBF and tweening will certainly be to your advantage. This sketch-animation had some tweened underdrawings to speed up drafting a boogie. When you're building a subtle motion, blending the two will come naturally and won't require a strenuous amount of planning.

I host "12 principles of animation" streams and if you'd be interested in some Q&A send me a note :)

interesting. im looking forward to watching this stream! it takes more than reading to learn how it works. I gotta see it/try it out as well!

im having problems finding the streams though. writing "12 principles of animation" brought up a lot of search results.
is this the one? if not, could you leave me a link?
http://streaming4.us/watch-movie/12-principles-of-animation.htm

BBS Signature

Response to Flash tween animation/frame byframe 2015-08-03 20:55:34

At 8/3/15 08:33 PM, Doomhammr wrote: Flash animation has come such a long way since I started on NG. In the old days, you were a demigod if you could animate frame by frame. Now, you need to at least incorporate it a little into your work.

well yeah it used to be even tougher. with those paper animations and such

BBS Signature