00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Soundfont= clicks when played fast?

1,168 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello.

I might be asking for too much, but is there maybe a way to avoid this from happening other than "not using soundfonts"?
It was bass and guitar soundfont from Arachno and because of the tempo of the song it all sounded like your PC froze ( you know that sound, right?). If lower the tempo, everything is cool. But what if I don't wanna? it's MIDI metal, y'know.

Thank you all in advance, I have a feeling like this question is pretty pointless.

Response to Soundfont= clicks when played fast? 2015-07-20 23:23:11

So I went on and tried to play with it for a while. Release and fade-out do nothing to change it, came to the conclusion it lacks any tonal quality when played that fast. It really becomes just a click.

At 7/20/15 11:23 PM, whatusernamedood wrote: So I went on and tried to play with it for a while. Release and fade-out do nothing to change it, came to the conclusion it lacks any tonal quality when played that fast. It really becomes just a click.

That's typically what happens when you play something really fast... All you get is the transients and the actual tone is not much to behold, particularly on plucked/strummed string instruments... dunno if you heard any crazy fast banjo playing or something, but yeah, that's what typically happens. After a while it just turns into a wall of transients, especially with samples where you don't often have things like bends or other effects and techniques that can increase the clarity of a fast line.

Remember also that soundfonts don't do different repetitions. If you repeat a note really fast in a soundfont, it'll get that machine-gun sound. Many soundfonts also don't do very detailed sampling, so it may be multiple notes that share the same sample.

You could also be taxing your CPU and/or disk if there are read-from-disk things going on or a lot of action.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Soundfont= clicks when played fast? 2015-07-21 18:04:27

The quest: "Method for humanizing machine gun lines" has been added to your journal.
Thank you.