00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

velvzie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!!

660 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-11 03:08:45

Good day all upcoming, professional, and aspiring artists here on Newgrounds!

My name is Rasheed Lindsey, I'm a writer and professional composer. I've been writing stories since I was 10 and have been making music since I was 16. But enough about me and onto why I'm posting (what will be a very long) request of services on newgrounds today.

I will keep this part as brief as possible. I am currently partnered with a friend who is writing the story for his game he wishes to create. I am in the midst, meaning: still working out the entirety of, writing a compelling story for a survival (horror?) action game based in North America but set in the far future in a parallel universe to his story. It's not too far but it's nowhere near our time, in order to make the plot make any lick of sense. I've written out the prologue and have begun writing up the rest of the chapters for the game. Believe me when I say, that I've put A LOT of passion and thought into this story it's almost insane!

Anyways, why is this important to you? Because, I wish to actually make this game happen. I plan on forming a team of awesome and talented individuals to bring this game from the abstract level all the way to the birth level. However, I do not have anything to show off besides a story and soon a script, which is not enough.

I'm looking for a, or maybe possibly a few, concept artist(s) to draw up a few non-colored sketches to give people a view of what's to come first. The artist(s) would also need to be willing to work on the art for the game all the way through to fruition, as I will be adding in more members after I've gotten my artist(s). For now, I only need about 3 or 4 pictures but as more progress is made to the story and development of the game the more art that we'll eventually need for the 3D artist, level designer, etc.

Although I've been using the word "team" I really wish that after the success of the game the majority of us can remain together as a small indie dev team that will eventually grow into a large scale company!

The story takes place in a post apocalyptic North America two years after the initial human massacre. The story follows the events of Tikvah Ashkenazic, an Islamic man in his late 20's who was a professional hacker and his ever growing crew in their attempt to survive this horror, find answers to their questions, and a get a solution to their problem. The problem the last bit of survivors are facing in North America is the rising amounts of the Converted. The Converted or sometimes dubbed "Altered" beings were all once normal human beings who were transformed/mutated into enhanced creatures surpassing normal human abilities. These people became this way either one of two ways, they took and abused the "Miracle Potion" called Spiracle; a medical wonder drug that eliminated fear, fatigue, laziness, etc. and provided small yet useful enhancements to human physical and mental abilities, or they were attacked and "infected" by a Converted who passed some kind of bodily fluid from their body into the victim while the victim's brain is still functioning. They come in many different variations. From very fast to very strong, the threat of the Converted is constantly rising and the human populous is constantly shrinking.
Tikvah and his crew will be traveling high and low for the answers they seek and a way to fight back. During their travels they will encounter other like minded individuals who will join them, maybe lose a few people, learn more about themselves (I know cliched but meh), and learn more about the Converted and their creepy yet intriguing unified goal: "To change the minds of those who are worthy."

As you can tell, it sounds like another corny outbreak survival horror game, but I put my own flavors and ingredients into this pot to create this dish. There will be twists and turns, people will laugh and cry and all the things in between.

Now, if you've gotten to this point then you must be somewhat interested. So here's the deal. There is no way to pay for the concept art or any of the art RIGHT NOW!!! That's right, you will be paid but the deal is you must "volunteer" your services for the time being and when the game is released to the public and money is made YOU SHALL BE PAID FOR YOUR WORK!!!! The game is commercial and it wouldn't be fair to request free work and make money off your work. We plan to release on all consoles including PC, but that's down the road.
I would like to offer a 50/50 even split amongst the entire team. This includes the artists because without you guys then there is no visuals. I also wish to run a crowdfunding campaign to help push the development of the game further and faster and, of course, there will be money there as well. However, should you feel more inclined and determined to work for us with a royalty fee then that can be arranged. Although, I'm not sure how that would work with art.

The ideal concept artist candidate needs to:
-Be able to work in a team.
-Be 100% fine with getting paid after everything is said and done, and we keep all the rights to the art, and proper credits for your work will be made!!!!
-Can create concepts for characters, enemies, levels, items, maybe scenery, weapons, etc.
-Be able to communicate and update with the team regularly (about once or twice a week).
-There is are deadlines yet, but they must be willing to put in the time and effort they would put into other art since this is a very serious game being made.
-Create in a style that works well with the tone of the game.
-Have a working and often checked email for files that may need to be sent to you and vice versa, Dropbox and/or mediafire account
-Speak English as good as possible
-Have a portfolio, a site, newgrounds account with work (duh), or a bit of past work in any kind of media (line art, paint, photoshop, sketches, etc.) done for any kind of project (videogame, animation, film, personal, etc.).

What I want the concept art/art in general to look like:
-Enemies needs to be dark, weird, twisted, freaky, almost scary, unappealing to the point you can't stomach it, and evil. Although I say this, keep in mind the majority of the enemies in the game are still human looking. Meaning they look like people but have distinctive qualities that show they are not 100% a normal person anymore.
-Characters within the game needs to be dark, sad, worn out, tired, scared, yet hopeful.
-The main characters involved with the story all have their own look about them and information on them shall be provided for the concept artist to help determine their original look for the game.
-Weapons are futuristic yet realistic in look and design, so a bit of a sci-fi feel but not entirely fictional. The game will feature firearms as a means of defense with a few melee options as well as other machinery that uses guns. So be ready for that.
-Levels/Areas are set within real world places in North America from the U.S to Canada and even Mexico. The concept art for these can just be small portions of the areas for the level designers to do their thing. Not much is needed here besides detail.
-Items/devices/machinery play a huge part in the game but there is not a lot of them around. However, these things do need to be emphasized within the game and will have their own look. The concept is, once again, Sci-Fi but not too fictional.
---I have the information, descriptions, and reference images readily available for the artist so they have a better idea on what look to go for.

Whew! That's a lot! So once more, I actually only need the three or four pictures for advertising purposes. This will help push more interest to the game and will help me grow and expand the team!

Please pm, email, or skype me if you're interested.
Lindrasheed@gmail.com

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-11 03:13:27

PLEASE NOTE: That in the event I do acquire more than one artist, I will appoint the artist whose concepts match closest to the feel and tone of the game as lead artist. Just to maintain consistency and keep the order between the artists. I wish for no conflict so, the lead artist must be a strong leader but not a huge you-know-what to everyone. Clear?! Awesome!

At 7/11/15 03:22 AM, metal-daze wrote: I am down, just tell me what you want this could be great practice for me.

AWESOME! That was actually very, very fast! I seriously had my doubts about this. lol I took a look at your stuff and you DEFINITELY have the eerie and creepy look down in just the three pieces I saw.

Please look out for a pm from me within the next 24-48 hours. I have some questions I'd like to ask first. To better determine if you're 100% perfect (or atleast 85%) for the job.

Thank you!

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-11 05:54:42

I'm totally down for this, I emailed you with a lot of my information about me as an artist from my email saedieandrea@gmail.com Please get back to me soon!

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-11 18:29:15

At 7/11/15 05:54 AM, Saedie-Andrea wrote: I'm totally down for this, I emailed you with a lot of my information about me as an artist from my email saedieandrea@gmail.com Please get back to me soon!

That's great!
Please look out for my reply. I found your art interesting but with only a few pictures it's hard to determine if you'd fit. Like I said, please await my email. I do wish to speak with you.

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-12 05:03:14

Alright, thanks so much!

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-17 00:16:41

You still looking? I don't know if my stuff would match up with what you want.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-17 00:31:30

At 7/11/15 03:08 AM, RnRuination wrote: I will keep this part as brief as possible.

Seriously?

TLDR. You can't draw, you need people to draw what you come up with. It's too big for what it is, but you think it's going to happen if you can just keep everyone doing what you want them to and working for free until you beat the odds and make something commercially viable. Right?

I didn't read it. It was too long. What do you need drawn and how well?

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-17 03:52:32

Noticed a few people put up there hands, but I am happy to help out as much as I can.

Australian Artist, Primarily been working on Pinups recently but have been working on my own concepts, scene/weapon design for a underdog story with a cyberpunk theme, but have been looking for a decent project to dip my hand into.

If you would like happy to do a few trial sketches and you can tell us if you enjoy or the art style suits the feel of your game ect.

Looking forward to hearing from you if you need me ;)

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-17 15:47:40

Well im not sure that ill have enough time for this cuz im pretty busy, but i could help at least a bit if you want :) Maybe few sketches ^_^ I certainly need some ideas and practice so win win? :D Contact me if you are interested ;)

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-18 09:39:09

At 7/17/15 12:16 AM, Theonewithoutaname wrote: You still looking? I don't know if my stuff would match up with what you want.

Thanks for your interest!
Yes, I am indeed still looking. Should you wish to try something small to first before joining then I have three options I could give you to try out. I can pm them to you if you'd wish. I see your stuff and it's downright nerve wracking. However, would you be able to create concept art and designs?

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-18 09:48:14

At 7/17/15 12:31 AM, soupflavoredsoup wrote:
At 7/11/15 03:08 AM, RnRuination wrote: I will keep this part as brief as possible.
Seriously?

TLDR. You can't draw, you need people to draw what you come up with. It's too big for what it is, but you think it's going to happen if you can just keep everyone doing what you want them to and working for free until you beat the odds and make something commercially viable. Right?

I didn't read it. It was too long. What do you need drawn and how well?

Lol I know, I tried to but as a writer it's a force of habit to go into deep in-depth detail to get the message across. Unfortunately, I need people on my team who are READY TO READ the material. The reference material is suppose to help the artist envision the characters, levels, monsters, etc. If you don't read it then how art thou suppose to creatith art?
To answer your question, It's more or less deferred payment. With the right dedicated crew to help push development of the game, we should have something that people would want to fund to receive funding. Then everyone shall be paid to continue to finish the game. When the game is released and it makes money then everyone shall be paid 50/50 for all their hard work in completing this game. It's a stretch but with my solid story, passion to see this game through and a strong talented team that has the same! This game shall be successful!! Hopefully that makes sense.

I tried looking for your art but there is only one picture there?

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-18 09:54:13

At 7/17/15 03:52 AM, Justown wrote: Noticed a few people put up there hands, but I am happy to help out as much as I can.

Australian Artist, Primarily been working on Pinups recently but have been working on my own concepts, scene/weapon design for a underdog story with a cyberpunk theme, but have been looking for a decent project to dip my hand into.

If you would like happy to do a few trial sketches and you can tell us if you enjoy or the art style suits the feel of your game ect.

Looking forward to hearing from you if you need me ;)

That would be awesome! However, although I love your cartoon-y art style, it's not "serious" enough to fit the feel and depth of this particular project. I'm envisioning this game to be on a serious scale of about Gears of War to Evil Within/Last of Us. It's going to be made in Unreal Engine 4 and hopefully run at 60FPS (This is the plan, but who knows?).
I do have 3 choices you can choose from should you wish to atleast try and make something based on the game. I can pm those options if you'd wish. Just let me know. If not, thank you for your interest! :D

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-18 10:03:47

At 7/17/15 03:47 PM, Skankky wrote: Well im not sure that ill have enough time for this cuz im pretty busy, but i could help at least a bit if you want :) Maybe few sketches ^_^ I certainly need some ideas and practice so win win? :D Contact me if you are interested ;)

Hm...time will definitely be an issue moving forward but not right this instance so it's okay. If you can only offer a few sketches than it's fine. I will pm you later today with more details!

Response to Looking for Concept Artist(s)!!! 2015-07-18 16:02:41

At 7/18/15 09:39 AM, RnRuination wrote:
At 7/17/15 12:16 AM, Theonewithoutaname wrote: You still looking? I don't know if my stuff would match up with what you want.
Thanks for your interest!
Yes, I am indeed still looking. Should you wish to try something small to first before joining then I have three options I could give you to try out. I can pm them to you if you'd wish. I see your stuff and it's downright nerve wracking. However, would you be able to create concept art and designs?

sure, i've done that in the past. also if you've noticed the portraits of the many eyes giants are concept art for one of my personal projects. whatever you want i'm willing to give it a go.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )