00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted LucidShadowDreamer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Army announces troop cuts

850 Views | 7 Replies

Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-10 07:52:04

WASHINGTON — Fort Benning, Fort Hood and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson are the hardest hit posts in the Army’s plan to significantly cut its force, losing more than 9,000 jobs between them.

On Thursday, the Army released more details about its plans to eliminate 40,000 active-duty military positions, leaving a force of about 450,000. About 17,000 civilian jobs will also be cut. While some reductions will be through attrition, soldiers and civilians will lose their jobs, Army Director of Force Management Brig. Gen. Randy George said during a press briefing at the Pentagon.

“These are incredibly difficult choices,” he said.

Source

wow thats fucked up beyond belief. I wonder if they are going to just let people walk after they're contracts are up so they don't have to pinkslip if it happens unless congress gets its shit together.

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-10 10:35:48

Good.

BBS Signature

At 7/10/15 10:35 AM, Feoric wrote: Good.

I don't exactly understand why cutting troops is what the military is doing in response to defense budget cuts when there was a huge scandal over how much wasteful spending there is in its research and military contracts which keep coming into the news every now and again. Surely the guys who actually perform a useful function are a worse target for cuts right?

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-10 17:37:05

At 7/10/15 05:07 PM, Warforger wrote: Surely the guys who actually perform a useful function are a worse target for cuts right?

What good are combat troops if they're not seeing combat?

BBS Signature

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-10 18:39:03

At 7/10/15 05:37 PM, Feoric wrote: What good are combat troops if they're not seeing combat?

Man has a point, and if this is "step 1" towards getting the spending under control and they go after that waste and the defense contracts and the building of shit we don't need and don't use, that'd be even better.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-10 20:36:34

Einsenhower is smiling just a little bit at this news.

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-16 18:27:05

At 7/16/15 02:39 PM, SentForMe wrote: Next stop, solving the F-35 debacle, possibly the most wasteful program in US military history. For the record, I have no idea how you solve this. Every new aircraft has its share of problems, but this one is way beyond the norm.

The troop cuts were pretty much inevitable, but if the military was looking to cut costs there are plenty of other places they could have started doing so.

First of all, why are they cutting when we have a huge terror threat from ISIS, even bigger than pre-9/11, along with concerns regarding Russia and China? It sounds crazy! I am not sure if it is, though...but still...

Second, these cuts to army, military, defense are only a small dent in our spending. A huge amount of our problem spending has to do with our bloated, inefficient healthcare and entitlement systems. I mean, isn't nearly two thirds of our federal spending on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, and similar programs?

And even then, I don't think the army is making many efforts to improve their own efficiency. I don't have time to research army inefficiency, but I have been working in government areas and know that things could be improved.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Army announces troop cuts 2015-07-16 18:44:47

At 7/16/15 06:27 PM, Th-e wrote: First of all, why are they cutting when we have a huge terror threat from ISIS, even bigger than pre-9/11, along with concerns regarding Russia and China? It sounds crazy! I am not sure if it is, though...but still...

None of the troop cuts were going to fight any wars with any of those. They aren't declared conflicts, or they aren't boots on the ground kind of conflicts so....

Second, these cuts to army, military, defense are only a small dent in our spending. A huge amount of our problem spending has to do with our bloated, inefficient healthcare and entitlement systems. I mean, isn't nearly two thirds of our federal spending on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, and similar programs?

According to Faux News and Republican outlets? Sure. When you look at less biased sources however...

And even then, I don't think the army is making many efforts to improve their own efficiency. I don't have time to research army inefficiency, but I have been working in government areas and know that things could be improved.

So....you don't have time to actually fact check what you say, but your sure what you're saying is right....ok.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature