00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What are the best VSTs?

2,240 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I was hopping we could get a discussion going to see what artists prefer which tools. I have honestly been using the same vsts for far too long and it would be great to learn of some new ones that could help me attain my goal of creating THE PERFECT PLUCK.

If you would like to take part in this social experience please list the following about yourself:

Usual Music Genre: Various EDM mainly house and trance
producing since: 06/2009
Instruments ranked by favorite (5 that you recommend):
1. Sylenth 1
2. xFer Serum
3. Hypersonic
4. 3xOsc

That's litterally all i use lol. see my problem?

Effects ranked by favorite(5 that you recommend):
1. Ozone 3!!!
2. Eos by audio Damage
3. Fab-Q by Fabfilter
4. CamelPhat3
5. DBlue Glitch vst :c I know im a basic bitch

I really still need a proper delau plugin... any suggestions?

Samples (you guys dont have to do this):
1. loopmasters xfer Deadmau5. (is bae)
2. Musicradar female vocal samples. (Kinda rough around the edges but works for high pitched stuff like in my most recent song)
3. Everything Vengeance (is good but not great)

Some vocal sample package would be great to know about! also uncut drum samples because thoes are hard to find.

Really hope to hear from you guys! Thank you for participating

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-07 21:31:01 (edited 2015-07-07 21:36:42)

Native instruments has some really good stuff. Bought massive some time ago. Still need to reinstall it.
I use Valhalla and TAL-reverb (free) for reverb, but most effects atm are stock. (eq2,compresser,delay)
Besides that, i use a good chunk of random samples, and alieno (free) is pretty cool.

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-07 22:11:37

At 7/7/15 10:05 PM, dem0lecule wrote: There is no best VST.

Depending on your definition, I meant it purely as a matter of opinion. I suppose using the term favorite would of qualified better.

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-08 01:00:51

At 7/7/15 10:13 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 7/7/15 10:05 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
There is no best VST.
I have no favorite VST.

I'm guessing this is essentially a snide way of saying that your preference lies with RTAS, AU, or some other plugin format? Very helpful. *golf clap*

Anyway, I've found that most of the plugins from Variety of Sound are great, and are free to boot. I personally like using the BootEQ MkII over most DAWs' stock EQ because of it being non-graphical.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-08 10:24:33

At 7/8/15 09:09 AM, Lich wrote: Anyway from this list here: http://lich.newgrounds.com/news/post/933431
I would have to say my top 5 of each in terms of usefulness:

Jesus christ Lich thats a long list lol. thank you for your input! I'll have to check some of these out!

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-08 19:22:05

Almost everything I make involves at least one of the following:

Kontakt
Massive
FM8
Chipsounds
Chipcrusher
Guitar Rig

But i'll probably swap them out for other things at some point, as i tend to do. I get in ruts where i use the same software for a while, and changing it up completely is nice to keep things fresh sometimes.
But yeah, i dont think there is a best vst. It's horses for courses really. It's like saying "what's the best ever synth?".

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-08 20:46:40

1. Sytrus. Probably wouldn't be my favorite, but it's one of the few I have, and what I use all the time. Fun to play with the settings, even if I don't know what I'm really doing.
2. Nexus. I only got a chance to use this a little bit. But the presets were really cool, not to mention how much I could tweak it. I guess the downside, I couldn't use slide notes in the piano roll.
3. Vanguard. This was a lot of fun to use, too. I'm not sure, but I think the people who created Nexus made this, too. It's fairly similar to Nexus.
4. Morphine. I've never used this, personally, but I've heard what it can do. Makes some extremely great sounds, but I'm not sure how easy it is to use, or anything.
5. Biohazard. Kinda like a 3xosc, but with 6 oscilators. Fun thing to use, too bad I only have demo version of it.

Sig=DJ REN

PSN ID: soul_reaper5

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-09 14:05:32

I like using Massive. its a NI synthesizer. for EDM it's commonly used and has a nice clean sound. From clean plucks to filthy basses This is my no. 1 pick. Sylenth1 is a very easy to use synth as well. i like to make pads with this one.

If you're a windows user its nice to have the Baxter-EQ (free!!) but its windows only. Great for mastering, and its sounds like the analog Bax-EQ. Also waves has some pretty neat plug ins and is also commonly used in many studio's.

And last but not least Ohmnicide. If you are loving distortion as mucht as I do, it's worth checking out this multiband Distortion plug-in

Why does everyone keep asking if I even compress?

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-10 18:12:37

At 7/7/15 10:05 PM, dem0lecule wrote: There is no best VST.

+1

Also, there is no spoon.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-10 20:31:19

z3ta+2 hasn't been mentioned.

I use it more than anything.

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-11 01:53:37 (edited 2015-07-11 01:57:25)

My favorite and/or frequently used VSTs:

Instruments
Kontakt
PLAY
Omnisphere
Zebra
Massive
Absynth
Lounge Lizard
Battery

Effects
Ozone 5
ValhallaVintageVerb
ValhallaRoom
Studio One stock plugins (EQ, Compressor, Delays, Ampire virtual guitar amp)
Melodyne

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-11 02:27:29

Usual Music Genre: D&B Mostly, Hardcore Techno, and Chillout
producing since: 10/2009
Instruments ranked by favorite (5 that you recommend):
1. Sylenth1 (Leads)
2. Absynth (Atmosphere/pads)
3. Sugar Bytes Cyclop or Massive, it's a tie (For bass)
4. 8dio Adagio Strings (Usually modulate into pads and layered in)
5. Rounds (Got it a little while ago, but I absolutely love the sound and customization)

Effects ranked by favorite(5 that you recommend):
1. WAVES SSL series (and NLS, because of the SSL bus emulation)
2. Equilibrium (EQ, very customizable for analog emulation, and transparent)
3. Molekular
4. URS Saturation (For drums, specifically snares)
5. SKnote Stereo Double Compressor (based off shadow hills, but I also use WAVES SSL Bus Compressor)

I have a plethora of effects plugins, and I never use just one favorite. Equilibrium is good for general purpose (like...REALLY good), but for specifics, like vocals, I would add the Maag EQ4 and brighten the top end because this plugin has some magic. But that's all I really use the Maag EQ4 for.

Samples (you guys dont have to do this):
1. Black Octopus Leviathan pack (For EDM)
2. Siren by Veela (Screw the adlibs and songs, what you want is the Ahhs and stuff like that to create/layer sounds)
3. The Raw Cutz Super Pack (For vintage hip hop-ish sounds, usually layered on top of hi-fi synth drums)

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-13 06:31:12

At 7/11/15 01:53 AM, JacobCadmus wrote: My favorite and/or frequently used VSTs:

Instruments
Kontakt
PLAY
Omnisphere
Zebra
Massive
Absynth
Lounge Lizard
Battery

Effects
Ozone 5
ValhallaVintageVerb
ValhallaRoom
Studio One stock plugins (EQ, Compressor, Delays, Ampire virtual guitar amp)
Melodyne

AWW lounge lizard is a-ma-zing for that organ sound!

Why does everyone keep asking if I even compress?

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-15 00:52:14

Harmor is by far the best thing I've ever used, and I've used a LOT of plugins before. It's crazy how much stuff you can do with it once you get past it's rather scary looking exterior. I've been using it for about 85% of sounds I make recently, and it sounds incredible.
I also use Sylenth1, which is basically 14% of the rest of the sounds I make. It's got a very user friendly interface, and is quite easy to get good results with.
Also ReFX Nexus is a good Rompler which I use a bit, while I don't enjoy the supersaws or leads that much, I like some of the pianos, plucks, and guitar sounds it offers.
Lastly, I have to give a shout out to True Pianos, it's a great piano VST, which comes with lots of variety.

I make music.

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-18 02:59:31 (edited 2015-07-18 03:03:40)

Just stumbled upon a very VERY nice software compressor.

http://www.klanghelm.com/

The MJUC. It has a free version called the MJUC Jr. I'm not too sure what the differences are, as it seems both have the same features enabled.

This is hands down the best compressor, for software, that musically modifies/compresses digital sound I have ever heard yet. There are 3 modes, mk1 (60's sound) mk 2 (I'm guessing 70's-80's) and mk3 (Modern). The real version is only $25 too! I haven't checked out the other plugins, but I am freaking out right now.

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-30 14:13:31

Nexus 2 and its expansion packs.

No seriously have you listened to some of this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPz5LRzdgY

BBS Signature

Response to What are the best VSTs? 2015-07-31 18:45:47

SeamlessR touches on this topic (regarding synthesis) here:
https://youtu.be/S1OU2MHfp6k

Really, it doesn't matter what vst you use as long as you know how to use it.

I can't really provide much, as a brand new producer; so far I've pretty much used Sytrus for everything. xD I'd be lost if I hadn't found Seamless, though. Without him I'd probably be trying to make everything with the 3x Osc. He does a tremendous job of displaying what Harmor (which I don't have) and Sytrus can do, and he rarely needs any other synth.