00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

just-pIx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Allowing Other Game Types.

341 Views | 5 Replies

Allowing Other Game Types. 2015-07-02 15:51:13

What I am referring to is not Unreal Engine. I am meaning stuff like RPG Maker. Please Help.

Response to Allowing Other Game Types. 2015-07-02 17:18:10

Newgrounds allows game uploads in SWF, HTML5, and Unity3D formats.

RPG Maker packs games within an executable so they aren't compatible with common web platforms.

The best you could do is figure out a way to pack the RPG Maker EXE within a SWF or HTML file, but that may very well prove difficult to accomplish.

According to @mike, he used a program called Alchemy when recompiling his Doom Flash port:

I don't know anything about Alchemy, but I'm pretty sure that you need the source code for it to work, and its ability to interface with RPG Maker files is dubious.

Response to Allowing Other Game Types. 2015-07-02 17:18:49

Rpg maker exports as exe, which isn't a compatible web format, if I recall.

also, 2,000th post!

BBS Signature

Response to Allowing Other Game Types. 2015-07-02 20:47:38

At 7/2/15 05:18 PM, larrynachos wrote: Rpg maker exports as exe, which isn't a compatible web format, if I recall.
also, 2,000th post!

Allowing .exe's would indeed be retarded.

But I see no reason why Newgrounds shouldn't allow all web formats, rather than choosing three seemingly arbitrarily.

Why not also allow Java Applets, JavaFX, Silverlight, Shockwave (not Shockwave Flash but Shockwave Director aka Shockwave), and ActiveX plugins?

For the most part, the coding of the actual games is up to the game authors so I can't see much reason from a technical point of view why these other types couldn't be allowed. I'd imagine very minor coding changes would need to be made for Newgrounds to allow them as uploadable types. Some of them don't work on all systems but the same is true of Unity and that's an allowed type these days.

Why not just allow them all, but also introduce filters to users can filter through preferred kinds of games (so they can filter out all game types that are either incompatible or which they don't trust or don't care for) ?

There may be fears of malware in some of those types, certainly not unfounded, but I'm sure it's possible to infect someone's machine with a malicious Flash, Unity, or HTML5 JavaScript game if someone was just that determined to be a complete jerkwad.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

At 7/2/15 05:18 PM, Bit wrote: Newgrounds allows game uploads in SWF, HTML5, and Unity3D formats.

HTML5 and Unity3D are allowed now? I wish i uploaded some of my old stuff before a virus kicked it. But i'm stoked nonetheless!

BBS Signature

Response to Allowing Other Game Types. 2015-07-02 23:25:09

At 7/2/15 11:22 PM, poinl wrote:
At 7/2/15 05:18 PM, Bit wrote: Newgrounds allows game uploads in SWF, HTML5, and Unity3D formats.
HTML5 and Unity3D are allowed now? I wish i uploaded some of my old stuff before a virus kicked it. But i'm stoked nonetheless!

Yeah. We can upload video files now, too. It opens up many new animation possibilities.