00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mastering Tutorials?

1,002 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-27 16:00:03

I was wondering if anyone would like to share a youtube playlist of mastering tutorials, or give some pointers on the subject. I've had such a difficult time trying to figure out how to master well.

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-27 16:10:48

Not on youtube, but you could check out the Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski if you want an in depth read. It's been very helpful for me so far and I'm only a quarter of the way in

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-27 16:18:42

Before I offer help I have to ask - are you sure you're asking for mastering? Or are you asking for mixing tutorials?
Way too many people confuse the two, I hope I don't offend you by asking.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-27 22:49:38

At 6/27/15 04:18 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Before I offer help I have to ask - are you sure you're asking for mastering? Or are you asking for mixing tutorials?
Way too many people confuse the two, I hope I don't offend you by as

Both is fine. I just needed a little more help with mastering.

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-28 21:22:52

At 6/27/15 10:49 PM, JargusCannon wrote:
At 6/27/15 04:18 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Before I offer help I have to ask - are you sure you're asking for mastering? Or are you asking for mixing tutorials?
Way too many people confuse the two, I hope I don't offend you by as
Both is fine. I just needed a little more help with mastering.

If you want some basic tips for mastering:

- Generally you should aim to get everything done and dusted at the mixing stage
- Use a limiter in the master channel to prevent any audio going above 0dB
- Use a buss compressor to "glue" the track if necessary
- Use harmonic exciters to increase favorable frequencies
- High pass below 20Hz and Low Pass above 18kHz

There are plenty of mastering tutorials on YouTube. Just google them. Doesn't matter which DAW or plugins they use. The principles are almost exactly the same.

But if you want to master with absolute surgical precision then you'll have to read books, practice with reference material and invest in some good monitors and sound proofing.

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-29 02:45:09

At 6/28/15 09:22 PM, DL2Electron wrote:

There are plenty of mastering tutorials on YouTube. Just google them. Doesn't matter which DAW or plugins they use. The principles are almost exactly the same.

But if you want to master with absolute surgical precision then you'll have to read books, practice with reference material and invest in some good monitors and sound proofing.

A question, i always Lowpass below off 20hz and High pass above 18-19k just in case. But since this freqs are inaudible, is there any impact?

Response to Mastering Tutorials? 2015-06-29 08:43:08

At 6/29/15 02:45 AM, NyxTheShield wrote:
At 6/28/15 09:22 PM, DL2Electron wrote:

A question, i always Lowpass below off 20hz and High pass above 18-19k just in case. But since this freqs are inaudible, is there any impact?

You can't hear anything below 20Hz; you actually feel it. Low frequencies have a lot of energy and can quickly bury an otherwise good mix as soon as its played on an expensive monitoring system, or in places such as clubs, live venues or cinema theatres.

Hence getting the low end under control is absolutely crucial.

High frequencies above 18kHz is essentially just noise and nearing the limit of human hearing, hence mostly useless.