00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Opinions on gay Marriage

3,042 Views | 46 Replies

Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 00:58:36

I don't normally care about this sort of shit because it's never applied to my life. But I'd like to discuss, because Ive been in many arguments today about this.

About three weeks ago, I found out that my father is gay. I love my father to death and since hearing that, a lot of things make sense... A lot about him, growing up with him, his personality, etc.
He's always been a great man, and I love him endlessly for raising me to be the man I am. I'm potentially expecting a child now with my girlfriend, moving out with her after living back at my dad's for two years after a break up. My gay father made me a man. And a straight man.

Never would I have ever cared about this shit... But suddenly it makes me think and understand..

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:09:13

They deserve it. It wouldn't effect me if it wasn't legal. I'm not gay, and nobody in my family is gay. So I kind of don't have one besides the fact they should be able to.

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:31:26

Marriage is between men and women. It's defined as such by law a while ago. Changing definitions to appease the minority is the worst idea. Sure, give fags the same tax benefits and stuff, just don't piss on my face and say its rain.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:34:37

At 6/27/15 01:31 AM, Mumbo wrote: Marriage is between men and women. It's defined as such by law a while ago. Changing definitions to appease the minority is the worst idea. Sure, give fags the same tax benefits and stuff, just don't piss on my face and say its rain.

We change plenty of laws all the time, lol. Whenever it works in court favour, and so on.
Do you really believe marriage cant be between two dudes or two chicks???

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:44:00

It is difficult, I suppose, to live in a country that preaches freedom as a policy to live by, but inevitably have a system of beliefs that will come into conflict with others. The moral to take away from all of this is that what you may view as wrong may not necessarily be viewed as wrong by the next person, and attempting to enforce your views of wrong and right onto others through the law is not tolerable.

You are more than welcome to live your life according to what you feel is right, but you cannot force others to live their lives according to how you feel they should, and you can't stop them from expressing their beliefs either. It may not be pleasant for you, but we live in a country with millions of others, and the experience must be okay for all of us, rather than amazing for a few.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:46:47

Gay people teach us how to dress, least we could do is let them have equality.

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:49:13

At 6/27/15 01:34 AM, Luke wrote:
At 6/27/15 01:31 AM, Mumbo wrote: Marriage is between men and women. It's defined as such by law a while ago. Changing definitions to appease the minority is the worst idea. Sure, give fags the same tax benefits and stuff, just don't piss on my face and say its rain.
We change plenty of laws all the time, lol. Whenever it works in court favour, and so on.

No because marriage is defined differently. Let them have legal union. Don't call it marriage.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:53:22

I made out with a twink once. gays are good kissers.
give 'em equality.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:55:35

My opinions on marriage are I don't think it's right for married people to be granted (or denied) rights not similarly extended to everyone. So, for example, I don't think there should be tax benefits to marriage at all, as that discriminates against the non-married.

Also I believe culturally-forced marriage is wrong, but if two people wish to be recognized as a married unit, that's fine. Although I do believe most marriage is of the culturally-forced variety or at least for cultural-appeasement reasons.

I think it's perfectly fine to live with someone as a couple without having to get married. It's even fine to have multiple partners provided everyone is fine with this arrangement and there isn't cheating going on. And I think it's also fine to have relationships come and go. Just because you've found what is presently an amazing relationship doesn't mean it necessarily always will be that way, whereas some definitions of marriage enforce this "you're stuck together forever even if you hate it".

So, all of that said, that's about marriage for anyone, straight, gay, or whatever else. I don't think there should be differentiation between straight marriage, gay marriage, or any other kind of marriage. Want to marry your car? Stranger things have happened.

And I believe most of society would be better off if people stopped caring so much what other people do in their sexytime. Ergo, any public benefits of marriage should be nullified, as one should not be seen as "better" or "worse" for being married or not married as the case may be, although frequently in this society there are expectations for marriage and people will look down on you for not being married after a certain age, which is wrong.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:55:39

At 6/27/15 01:53 AM, PussyShark wrote: I made out with a twink once. gays are good kissers.
give 'em equality.

I have a boner now. Thanks.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 01:58:30

At 6/27/15 01:49 AM, Mumbo wrote: No because marriage is defined differently.

It was, you mean? We redefined it.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:05:52

At 6/27/15 01:58 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 6/27/15 01:49 AM, Mumbo wrote: No because marriage is defined differently.
It was, you mean? We redefined it.

Word meaning can change over time. But this can be a difficult concept for some.

Might there be less confusion to the (I'm assuming) religious people if we, for pedantic sake, make a distinction between religious marriage and legal marriage? Obviously what we are talking about here is legal marriage, as religious marriage would depend on whatever the exact custom or terms of the exact religion in question.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:09:32

At 6/27/15 01:55 AM, koopahermit wrote:
At 6/27/15 01:53 AM, PussyShark wrote: I made out with a twink once. gays are good kissers.
give 'em equality.
I have a boner now. Thanks.

anytime baby B)

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:22:21

At 6/27/15 01:31 AM, Mumbo wrote: Marriage is between men and women. It's defined as such by law a while ago.

Cite sources, please

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:27:58

At 6/27/15 01:49 AM, Mumbo wrote: No because marriage is defined differently. Let them have legal union. Don't call it marriage.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I'd call you a faggot but you'd just tell me that it's always meant "bundle of sticks" like all the other twelve year olds like to point out

The entire point is that marriage has been redefined to include gay dudes and ladies

ps im sorry for calling you a faggot mumbo i think your great. marry me?

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:29:35

Nobody will ever be happy YOLO

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:32:03

At 6/27/15 02:22 AM, Silverlee wrote:
At 6/27/15 01:31 AM, Mumbo wrote: Marriage is between men and women. It's defined as such by law a while ago.
Cite sources, please

Ah, I must have missed that "by law" and just assumed Mumbo was confused about the difference between religious marriage (which would depend on the exact religion in question) and legal marriage.

So I believe further pedantry is now called for. In addition to separating religious and legal marriage, and firmly stating what we are talking about here is strictly of the legal marriage variety, we now must further specify by an additional qualifier. Legal marriage in the United States of America. Sorry, but without that little bit of extra pedantry there was a slight loophole Mumbo could be exploiting via discussions of marriage in almost any country of Mumbo's choosing.

And I'm quite sure there are still countries where gay marriage is still unrecognized.

In summary:
Marriage
- As legally defined rather than religiously defined
- As legally defined in the United States of America rather than as legally defined in some other country.

There. Did I cover all bases? Anyone see any further loopholes to close?

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 02:44:31

At 6/27/15 02:32 AM, NeonSpider wrote: There. Did I cover all bases? Anyone see any further loopholes to close?

You, sir, just earned yourself another fan. Congrats.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 07:49:55

It literally doesn't affect my life in any way at all. So obviously I'm against it.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 07:50:23

At 6/27/15 01:49 AM, Mumbo wrote:
At 6/27/15 01:34 AM, Luke wrote:
No because marriage is defined differently. Let them have legal union. Don't call it marriage.

You utterly miss the point. We used to have "civil partnership" etc. and it IS different to marriage legally. Civil partnerships did NOT have the same rights as married couples. Upon searching for ways to migrate recently it came to my attention a civil partnership is NOT valid as a way to migrate while marriage IS a valid way to migrate. This is one clear example of how different marriage is compared to other forms of partnership as it holds a more definitive status.

This is why marriage for gays is just as important as it is for straight people. As well as the reasons of wanting to be married for love to be together with each other it also has the legal status it does have as compared to different forms of partnerships. Now gay couples have all the same rights straight couples have from marriage.

Humans earning the same rights to be equal to each other is what this is all about and we have gotten it now in the UK a few years ago and also USA now as well as any other countries that might have it. In time we can hopefully combine our equal love for each other to effect the areas of the world who murder people for how they are born and help make the world a better place. For the time being I am incredibly happy for all of America as they have now made a definitive stand against homophobia as they have previously done for racism etc. and are further helping to support their self proclaimed "land of the free" status.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 08:05:41

Straight people in monogamous sexual relationships who cohabitate and share expenses shouldn't be allowed to have civil unions. That's a marriage, and they should have to call it one. When will the courts stop recognizing heterosexual civil unions?

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 08:49:36 (edited 2015-06-27 08:50:06)

We could all avoid this shit if we didn't have neither marriages nor civil unions but NOOOOOOOO.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 08:50:30

The laws should adapt to our changing culture.
The tradition view was that the purpose of marriage was procreation, or in other words, giving birth to children, and therefore only opposite sexes could marry.

However, nowadays many couples do not have children. The concept of marriage was changed in recent years. Giving birth to children is no longer the only reason to marry. Need for support and intimacy are alternative reasons for marriage. It is clearly socially acceptable to marry without procreation.

Restricting marriage to straight couples is based on the premise that procreation is the sole reason of marriage, a premise that no longer holds. So, in my opinion, there is no justification to stop gay people from marrying each other as long as they desire to do so. They should have the freedom.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 09:03:34 (edited 2015-06-27 09:08:44)

Before the divorce rate was around 50% for heterosexual marriages in the USA. Source

Now that gay marriage is legal, it means more money from divorce settlements. Which indirectly means more jobs for lawyers.

Wait, what?

The unemployment rate nine months after graduation for new graduate lawyers of 2013 was 11.2%—up from 10.6% for the class of 2012 and 9.2% for 2011 graduates.

Source

I see a booming industry for lawyers ya'll.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 09:33:41

It's not bad, huh. It's quite the historical step taken.

wow haha ok there bud

My Music : Last.fm : My GoodReads : My Film Collection

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 10:07:37

So, how about NG goes ahead and puts their logo in rainbow colors?

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 13:56:55

At 6/27/15 07:50 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:

Why is marriage important for gays? Aside from getting better taxes, its heavily based in religion, which is regarded as obselete and useless by most homosexuals. Literally the only reason I see is because straight cis people get married and the gays are acting like children who are after the same toy just to have it.

also tfw everyone gets anal angered at me for doing the same thing the LGBT community does: sharing my opinion.

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 14:37:31

At 6/27/15 01:56 PM, Mumbo wrote:
At 6/27/15 07:50 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
Why is marriage important for gays?

Read what I posted. It is equally important for homosexual couples as it is for straight couples.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 16:26:01

At 6/27/15 03:33 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 6/27/15 03:30 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 6/27/15 03:14 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
No. It's a way for two people to be the centre of attention.
Haha are you serious? XD
I am. What are you going to do about it, huh?

Well I'm going to act like an adult and not confrontational child. You should try it.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Opinions on gay Marriage 2015-06-27 17:00:56

is it legal to get married to an object like toilet paper

BBS Signature